Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 4, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #9,781 of 15,268
Yeah don't get me wrong the stock pads are good. I just want an extra pair of pads that aren't velour. As it turns out, the pleather HM5 ones are too thick for my big jaw so it hurts. It seems I've "wasted" 20 bucks buying them. I just put back the stock pads as they are more comfortable for me. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #9,782 of 15,268

Thanks for your impressions.  It's quite difficult to find someone who has used both headphones, especially for movies.  I can understand why you would prefer the lush/warm sound for voices, but shouldn't the soundstage/imaging of the HD700 be a win?  I have found the soundstage on the X2 to be very L-C-R and not further than 120°~ around your face and with very little depth.  What was it specifically that made you prefer the X2 for soundstage?

You also mention bass quantity and I can imagine the HD700 are more detailed down there, but I also got the impression (from reading) that in comparison to the X2 the HD700 might sound a little anemic.  Is it closer than that in terms of bass quantity?  I don't have to feel the rumble in my chest, but I'd like a little more impact than the HD598 gave.

If you look just at the soundstage HD700 is wider, but with movies my impression was that the X2´s give you a more intimate, a more gripping experience. I really like Sennheiser, my first cans have been the HD580 precision which were wonderful. So I really tried to like the HD700, I mean you really can get them for cheap right now, but the problem with them is that they are anemic and dry overall.

"I don't have to feel the rumble in my chest" - Don´t worry, they just sound right. They got more bass then other cans, but nothing which will overshine mids and highs. For example, i own the Ultrasone Pro900, which are real basscans, but X2´s are nowhere in that region.

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #9,783 of 15,268
My opinions on the X2 have changed dramatically over the last couple of months.
They may have sweetened a little with extended usage but I suspect my ears have simply warmed to the sound signature.

Comfort wise they are great after 10 minutes, just takes a while for the memory foam pads to settle into position.
Superb for gaming and films, whilst listening to Toto IV through an iFi iDAC2 is pure bliss
tongue.gif

The X2s are now my go to headphone and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for the price.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #9,786 of 15,268
Just got my pair last night and maybe it's because I'm used to clean headphones at this point however  on flat eq the high end seems extremely lacking and it feels like I'm underwater almost. Not sure if it will improve with burn in or it's just something I should get used to but I just went with a 11 11 8 0 0 0 6 9 14 14 and now everything sounds amazing, especially for a set of 300$ cans.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #9,787 of 15,268
  Just got my pair last night and maybe it's because I'm used to clean headphones at this point however  on flat eq the high end seems extremely lacking and it feels like I'm underwater almost. Not sure if it will improve with burn in or it's just something I should get used to but I just went with a 11 11 8 0 0 0 6 9 14 14 and now everything sounds amazing, especially for a set of 300$ cans.

I tried shouting those numbers into the earcups but nothing happened.  I'm always willing to tinker so if you could be a bit more clear.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #9,788 of 15,268
Really enjoying my X2's now. I had to EQ them in foobar2k (which means I can only listen to them with music through FB2k :frowning2: ) I turned 55hz up, 80hz up slightly, and turned 14khz down slightly. Sounds like the pair I had before with flat EQ now. Also running amp on "pure mode".

I got the pads off in the end, no glue...just really hard to come off like they were sealed on. This has really changed the dynamic of the sound...before it sounded muffled, now less so. With EQ I have the sub-bass I crave back.

I think the amp isn't very good or atleast the headphone amp part of it isn't. LOTS of source noise, when I pause the music I can hear noise in the background, if I turn the amp down the noise goes...but then it is not loud enough for normal use :/

Listening to Depeche Mode, Ultra, 2007 SACD edition at 2852kbps...excellence.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #9,789 of 15,268
I received my FiiO E18 yesterday and I can say that it made the X2 sound better.  OTG to my Nexus 6 was automatic.  From my testing, the DAC is a slight improvement, but the amp is a major improvement to sound quality.  Very happy with the purchase!

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #9,791 of 15,268
  Really enjoying my X2's now. I had to EQ them in foobar2k (which means I can only listen to them with music through FB2k :frowning2: ) I turned 55hz up, 80hz up slightly, and turned 14khz down slightly. Sounds like the pair I had before with flat EQ now. Also running amp on "pure mode".

I got the pads off in the end, no glue...just really hard to come off like they were sealed on. This has really changed the dynamic of the sound...before it sounded muffled, now less so. With EQ I have the sub-bass I crave back.

I think the amp isn't very good or atleast the headphone amp part of it isn't. LOTS of source noise, when I pause the music I can hear noise in the background, if I turn the amp down the noise goes...but then it is not loud enough for normal use :/

Listening to Depeche Mode, Ultra, 2007 SACD edition at 2852kbps...excellence.

Sounds like they're now using some kind of light film adhesive to help secure them.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #9,792 of 15,268
Feb 5, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #9,794 of 15,268
Guys don't you do it. Don't buy that ******* x2 from Amazon.com. It's probably those with glued pads from blackfriday deals, people/I returned them. Its only 200 for a new one.

Got mine from Amazon Warehouse.  Yes, they're glued but other than that, they're awesome.  So if you don't plan on replacing the pads, $135 is a fantastic deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back