Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 1, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #9,752 of 15,268
  So here's one you don't hear all that often:  X2 vs HD700?

Anyone have both sets who could make some comparisons regarding soundstage and bass/mids/treble?  I read some impressions from @punkmanmatthew - would be great if he or others could chime in.

The 2 headphones are not really in the same league. Plus they exhibit wildly different sound profiles.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #9,753 of 15,268

The 2 headphones are not really in the same league. Plus they exhibit wildly different sound profiles.

Do you mean the same league sonically?  Pricewise, the HD700 seem to be in freefall and are starting to approach X2 territory.  I've heard them both described as having detailed bass, recessed mids, and extended treble.  I'm not saying they aren't different and if you have heard both sets, I'd be grateful to hear how you have understood the sound profiles.

EDIT: Although, I shouldn't really buy any more headphones. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #9,754 of 15,268

Do you mean the same league sonically?  Pricewise, the HD700 seem to be in freefall and are starting to approach X2 territory.  I've heard them both described as having detailed bass, recessed mids, and extended treble.  I'm not saying they aren't different and if you have heard both sets, I'd be grateful to hear how you have understood the sound profiles.

tongue_smile.gif

It's been a while since I owned my HD700, and I haven't had much time with my X2, but here is a very brief comparison.  To me, the HD700 had a richer, more detailed sound overall with better (more detailed and textured) bass (although the X2 also has very good bass quality).  The X2 has far more bass quantity and probably better bass extension, however.  The HD700 has more treble presence and has a more energetic (but potentially sibilant) sound overall.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #9,755 of 15,268
  It's been a while since I owned my HD700, and I haven't had much time with my X2, but here is a very brief comparison.  To me, the HD700 had a richer, more detailed sound overall with better (more detailed and textured) bass (although the X2 also has very good bass quality).  The X2 has far more bass quantity and probably better bass extension, however.  The HD700 has more treble presence and has a more energetic (but potentially sibilant) sound overall.

More quantity and extension on the X2?  Yikes!  The reason I switched up from the HD598 to the X2 was to get a little more bass quantity.  I mostly watch movies/TV with headphones and I just can't seem to love the comfort with the X2.  I think the 598 spoiled me in terms of comfort, or it's something about the round pads that my ears don't get on with.

Would you say the bass quantity and extension on the HD700 would make it a good gaming/movie headphone?  And possibly a few words about comfort vs the X2?  Thanks!

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #9,756 of 15,268

tongue_smile.gif

Haha, to be honest, I've never auditioned the X2's. But being a subscriber of this thread for almost a year, I've heard a lot about the X2 and have formed a sound profile of what they should sound like in my head... more or less.

I've heard the HD700 quite extensively (being a sennheiser fan :) ) and personally I don't think they are flawed at all. The HD700 is a wonderful sounding headphone with great overall imaging and detail. The treble spike people speak about doesn't bother me, and I quite like the abundance of bass compared to my HD800s (granted, I don't have the optimal set-up for the HD800s). The HD700 is a deadly accurate/neutral headphone while the X2 is almost unanimously known for its "playful" character. That is where I say they sound completely different. And I think we can all agree on here (for the people that heard/own the HD700) that the Senns are more detailed and technically superior pair of cans.

The price deviation between the 2 are still pretty substantial. The X2 can be had for $199 (original $299) where the HD700 still hovers around $450 (original $1000). One of these days I will audition the X2. From what I've heard, they seem to be a huge bargain at street prices and perhaps even at the MSRP.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #9,757 of 15,268

More quantity and extension on the X2?  Yikes!  The reason I switched up from the HD598 to the X2 was to get a little more bass quantity.  I mostly watch movies/TV with headphones and I just can't seem to love the comfort with the X2.  I think the 598 spoiled me in terms of comfort, or it's something about the round pads that my ears don't get on with.

Would you say the bass quantity and extension on the HD700 would make it a good gaming/movie headphone?  And possibly a few words about comfort vs the X2?  Thanks!

I didn't use the HD700 for gaming/movies, but it would work really well in that capacity.  Great imaging and soundstage and (to me obviously) the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.  The HD700 does still have a good amount of bass, just certainly not as much as the X2.  I find the X2 to be fairly comfortable, but the clamping force becomes an issue for me after a while.

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #9,759 of 15,268
Ordered from Coolshop./no(coolshop.DK) HiFi Logo on the front of the Box, Gibson Everywere.

NO GLUE, NO Alu problems! No FID   ELIO..

Serial Number: PY1A1553-78

Replaced a pair of Denon AH-D2000 That sadly broke, but hoping to get a hold of the Fostex thx00 assembly to fix them..

I could not be happier! MY GOD this was some serious quality!!

Feels alot more solid built than my D2K's!

Soundvice.... I'm still too amazed every time i listen.. A little less Bass, but it feels more controlled.. Is just a really really good buy!

wow..

And I got it with a 20% discount! :-D aprox 230$

I have not tested with amps yet! But an iPod Classic 160 7th with emCore + RockBox
(Makes battery go from 30 to 8-9 hours with my EQ, and makes my D2K's shake, so good enough for the time beeing until Fiio X5 2nd arrives)

Theese Cans are so detailed!!! I'm Just so happy right now lol.

They really have their own sound signature.. but as a replacement for the D2000.. I would say you could not go wrong with them!.

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #9,760 of 15,268
And try playing Boris Macquin - Minimal Mix.. wow!

Edit: And forgot to mention inthe above post. No Black coloring or "sot" from the earpads either. even took drops of water on them and rubbed cleenex on them and nothing.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #9,761 of 15,268
Looking to buy an X2 but am concerned about this whole glue/Gibson thing. Should I be? Is this a bad time to be buying an X2 in the US? Is the quality different on the Gibsons vs. the Woox? Thanks for your help!

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #9,762 of 15,268
Guys, I have to share this.
I found X2 to scale well beyond any of my previous expectations.
Yes, it sounds listenable from cheap source. (Straight from laptop or smartphone.)
But the sound dramatically improves with a good amp.
I enjoyed my X2s for quite a while with iFi iCan. That was a definite upgrade.
But recently I bought Mojo, and also a high quality usb cable. I have to say, X2 almost sounds like a different pair of headphones.
More space, more clarity, more details, much more linear and balanced without loosing the sweet bass.
HE400s with HM5 pads were relatively close with the same setup, but X2 is just so much livelier, so much more fun.
Guys, appreciate your X2s. :wink:

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #9,763 of 15,268
  Looking to buy an X2 but am concerned about this whole glue/Gibson thing. Should I be? Is this a bad time to be buying an X2 in the US? Is the quality different on the Gibsons vs. the Woox? Thanks for your help!

I got mine during the original $200 Amazon sale and was very happy with them until I read all these quality control complaints on this thread. I was going to return them (mine are the Gibson ones) but have decided I actually very much enjoy these headphones. Had I never read the complaints in this thread, I would've never had a single doubt in my mind about the sound and overall quality of these headphones. Also, I don't know if mine are glued, because the ear pads are great and I have no reason to remove them to check for any glue - I see them lasting for a long time. I'd say ignore the complaints and go for a cheaper pair if you're OK with them not being absolutely 100% perfect compared to the older one's before the QC issues. I have heard a few complaints of lesser sound quality, but mine sound great (again mine have Gibson on the box).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back