Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 18, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #9,511 of 15,268
Linsy, hi! Have you looked at Audio-Technica ATH-M50X? They're closed, but cheaper and lighter alternative to X2. They don't sound as good, but are pretty close.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #9,513 of 15,268
Wouldn't the M50X be considered a true v-shaped headphone?

I wouldn't say so, they're studio headphone afterall. Tonally they're pretty close to X2, just less open and natural. But still pretty neutral, with good bass impact.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #9,515 of 15,268
  Hello eveyone, I hope you guys can help me out. I previously owned a pair of HD598's but decided that i don't find them fun enough. I do a lot of gaming, watching movies/series and listen to mostly house music etc. So i purchased a pair of X2's, and though i love the sound of them so far, they're just a bit too heavy/big for me. I'm a girl with quite a small head and i'm not so sure i'll keep the X2, because they're definetly on the big/heavy side. Are there any alternatives that offer about the same but aren't as big/heavy? I currently don't have an amp/dac to drive my headphones. Oh the X1's aren't available in the Netherlands by the way (as far as i know).

Hey Linsy have you had a look at the buying guide which is available up on the top task bar..?? The Fidelio X1 should be available on a few of the European Amazon pages. Looks like they have gone up in price though.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #9,516 of 15,268

Isnt the X1 the same size as the X2? 

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #9,518 of 15,268
Jan 19, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #9,519 of 15,268
Hey Linsy have you had a look at the buying guide which is available up on the top task bar..?? The Fidelio X1 should be available on a few of the European Amazon pages. Looks like they have gone up in price though.

Yeah but they are like 350 euros or more conpared to 289 euros for the X2. And i feel like it might not make a huge difference anyway.

On the M50's i feel like those might be a huge step back in quality, wouldn't they be? Like soundstage wide etc? Wouldn't the DT990 and a Fio E11 be a better option then?

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #9,520 of 15,268
Yeah but they are like 350 euros or more conpared to 289 euros for the X2. And i feel like it might not make a huge difference anyway.
On the M50's i feel like those might be a huge step back in quality, wouldn't they be? Like soundstage wide etc? Wouldn't the DT990 and a Fio E11 be a better option then?

Not sure why are you interested in X1 at all, X2 is better in every way, including comfort and weight. Regarding the M50X, yes, imaging and soundstage is worse, which might have a negative impact on gaming, but the fun factor is definitely there. DT990 might be too V-shaped..... Have you also looked at HD650? It might be too pricey out of sale, though.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #9,521 of 15,268
I heard the X1 is smaller, that's why they increased the size of the X2. That's the only reason honestly. The HD650 would still be in my budget, but i heard they really benefit from a dac/amp. If i need to buy a dac or amp for them as well they are way out of budget i'm afraid.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #9,522 of 15,268
  I heard the X1 is smaller, that's why they increased the size of the X2. That's the only reason honestly. The HD650 would still be in my budget, but i heard they really benefit from a dac/amp. If i need to buy a dac or amp for them as well they are way out of budget i'm afraid.

X2 is lighter, they only increased the headband size to accomodate the larger heads, but the headphones are pretty much the same, I believe... You would hardly notice any difference, I guess.

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #9,523 of 15,268

Ive owned the DT990.. i would not recommend them, i preferred the DT770-80 Pro to them. It is a closed headphone but pretty darn good for the price and has plenty of low end. 350 Euros is ridiculous for the Fidelio X1, which is the same price i found aswell. If you can find a good priced pair of HD650's i would head in that direction or even the HD600. For a budget amp/dac maybe look into a O2/DAC or Aune X1S etc. Either of those will drive the Sennheisers to louder then needed levels.

It can be hit or miss, but if you dont want to fork out cash for an amp/dac, look at the Audio Technica lines. They might be a tad bass light for your tastes though.

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #9,524 of 15,268
I boxed my headphones for a week, (waiting for amazon to get new glueless stock for a replacement). I've been using my "portable" Sony MDR-1R which are a great headphone in their own right. I was listen to a few tracks on the sony's, got an email from amazon saying to be safe with new stock I should wait a few weeks for a replacement. So I took mine back out the box and HOLY I forgot how good these babies sounded, genuinely in love with them. Just wish QC was good :/

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #9,525 of 15,268
  I boxed my headphones for a week, (waiting for amazon to get new glueless stock for a replacement). I've been using my "portable" Sony MDR-1R which are a great headphone in their own right. I was listen to a few tracks on the sony's, got an email from amazon saying to be safe with new stock I should wait a few weeks for a replacement. So I took mine back out the box and HOLY I forgot how good these babies sounded, genuinely in love with them. Just wish QC was good :/

Whats wrong with them exactly..??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back