Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 17, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #9,482 of 15,268
actually think the x2 does sound quite v shaped

deadhorse.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #9,484 of 15,268

Ever been called a fanboy before?

We're just discussing how we feel the sound signature is like.  That's what it is to be a audiophile. ALWAYS be critical.  

My findings are very very similar to Ishcabible's.  I have directly A/B'd several headphones to the X2 on the same source, amp, tracks etc.    

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #9,485 of 15,268
Ever been called a fanboy before?

We're just discussing how we feel the sound signature is like.  That's what it is to be a audiophile. ALWAYS be critical.  

My findings are very very similar to Ishcabible's.  I have directly A/B'd several headphones to the X2 on the same source, amp, tracks etc.    

What's the problem? Someone calls them v-shaped and someone else disagree and he's a fanboy for not hearing them the same way as you do......

I'm a fanboy as well then I guess cause I also hear them differently than you....

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #9,487 of 15,268
People claiming this headphone is v-shaped don't know what v-shaped is. The fact they don't have a "honky" midrange doesn't make it such.

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #9,488 of 15,268
May I ask for direct comparisons between X2 and Hifiman HE-500?

I'm going to be able to A\B the X2 with a HD650, but unfortunately I don't think I can easily find some 500's to listen in first person.

If I end up preferring the X2 to the HD650, could I assume that I'd prefer the X2 to 500's as well, since they have similar (lush and slighly more forward mids) as well?

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #9,489 of 15,268
Is it "safe" to buy these from Amazon UK at the moment? After reading about the issues regarding quality control. Also what is this about glued on pads? From early videos you can see they are removable, what's going on with that?

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #9,490 of 15,268
  Is it "safe" to buy these from Amazon UK at the moment? After reading about the issues regarding quality control. Also what is this about glued on pads? From early videos you can see they are removable, what's going on with that?

Amazon in a few days will have a new shipment, but phillips apparently dont know if they will be the new unglued ones

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #9,492 of 15,268
  In everyone's experience, do velour pads like the X2's last for a long time? I'm wondering it it'll be worth it to buy extra ones.

Time will tell, but it also depends on one's usage, climate, sweat factor, etc. My HD600 velour pads lasted well over 10 years (they just flattened, but were still OK)...
X2 pads have some sort of microfiber over a memory foam, so they should last at least just as much, I believe.

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #9,494 of 15,268

I'm going to be able to A\B the X2 with a HD650, but unfortunately I don't think I can easily find some 500's to listen in first person.

If I end up preferring the X2 to the HD650, could I assume that I'd prefer the X2 to 500's as well, since they have similar (lush and slighly more forward mids) as well?

While I can't compare the 500, compared to my 400i, I enjoy my X2s more, they're more fun :)  I do like the clarity of my 400i over my X2s though.  For instance, I immediately heard the bass strings being plucked along with the drum on a song that I didn't notice at first when I listened with my X2s.  Only after listening with my 400i, I was able to make it out with my X2s.  It's not that the X2s didn't articulate them, the sound was just more detailed with the 400i to make me notice it.

Still, as I've said before, if I could only have one, it'd be my X2s.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #9,495 of 15,268

There's no comparison. HE-500 destroys the X2 - and honestly, it should. The X2 sound stage is wider and they're more engaging for rock music (My girlfriend said, "These headphones were MADE for Black Sabbath!").

But the HE-500 has better mids, better and smoother treble, more instrument separation, and female vocals will give you goosebumps. You need an adequate chain to drive them, though. Modi/Magni stack is fine for X2s. More power is better for HE-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back