Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 16, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #9,468 of 15,268

HD600 is $330.99 sold and shipped by a 3rd party seller.  $399.99 from Amazon.  

And yes, there's a difference. 

My mistake; the combo is also sold through Amazon as well though. One could easily sell the DT770 for $120 and have the HD600 at the same price should they desire. Of course, it is different as selling the headphones is an additional task.

And I didn't say the HD600 was better; I meant its more neutral sound signature lends itself to a wider range of music. It's more of a jack of all trades. The downside is that most people won't find it exciting like the X2, but not everyone wants exciting all the time.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #9,469 of 15,268
  And I didn't say the HD600 was better; I meant its more neutral sound signature lends itself to a wider range of music. It's more of a jack of all trades. The downside is that most people won't find it exciting like the X2, but not everyone wants exciting all the time.

Some don't want neutral all the time either... I've had HD600 for almost 15 years and I was mostly stuck with jazz, classic rock and audiophile acoustic and vocal-centric music, it was that unforgiving for anything else... It got old. For me (at this stage) X2 is the ultimate jack-of-all-trades and HD600 is more of a complementary can where neutrality really matters.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #9,470 of 15,268
  Oops! Didn't see this thread earlier, bugs swarming in my stomach. X2 will be my first open back headphone & it's on the way now. There are many sellers on Amazon but I ordered it new from Amazon itself so I hope for the best.

Received it, no problems after listening for a week. Woox on band & Gibson on box. Not going to remove the nice pads. There is a slight imperfection in the alignment of metal trim around the housing. Just curious, I can't find the wires connectiing to the other side of the driver.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #9,471 of 15,268
Man I loved the sound signature on my x2's but they developed a farty noise on the bass. I think the driver might be defective, a shame since its sold by amazon warehouse I can only get a refund not a replacement.

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #9,472 of 15,268
Amazon is selling the HD 600 with $150 Amazon Gift Card for $399.99.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0199APD94/
My mistake; the combo is also sold through Amazon as well though. One could easily sell the DT770 for $120 and have the HD600 at the same price should they desire. Of course, it is different as selling the headphones is an additional task.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #9,474 of 15,268
  Just curious, I can't find the wires connectiing to the other side of the driver.

Ha, now you've got me wondering too.  There is only 1 way the right earcan can be connected, but damn, there is nothing to see that hints in that way. 

Haaa!!!! Found it. The wire is coming out of the frontside-facing metal(thingy) of the headband on the right earcup. Then it goes neatly to the pivoting screws, where it enters the right can. I had to use extra lighting to see anything. It is very well done. Very very neat.

But still, mysteries remain: The headband connects with two metal bandings to the outer ring with the text on it. One of the two metal bandings of the headband has a normal screw on the inside of the outer ring. While the other metal banding must have a hollow screw (hard to see, but it looks like it) to allow the wire through.  
But the real mystery is: The wire enters the pivoting screw (frontfacing screw on the right earcan) You can see it entering the 'screw' .  BUT: if the wire enters the screw, the screw cant turn. How do you unscrew the screw without tearing the wire apart? And how did they assemble it? 

My guess is: the frontfacing pivoting screws are dummies (i even seem to have read something about it: some1 trying to unscrew them but it didnt work/turn/unscrew). The only real screws in the outer ring are on the backfacing side. If you can remove that screw, then you can twist the can out of the metal ring. The front facing 'screw'  is just a hollow pin, trying hard to look like a screw. Dont let it screw you!

LoL, this is as far as my sunday-mornings-mystery-analysis goes. Hope you enjoyed my little ride in solving the worlds greatest and meaningfull mysteries. :)
basshead.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #9,476 of 15,268
Yes, I took liberties of using the former Amazon $199 sale price (not available right now), which many took advantage of. So a fairer comparison is $200 (X2s) to $399 (HD 600s) to HD 650s ($381). The Sennheiser's are outstanding at those prices, especially the HD 650s. Makes me want to jump in and buy a pair )just money, right?).

I will go back and edit my price statement...

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #9,480 of 15,268
I got my hd600 for 230 and x2 for 199. Pretty darn close.

From what I can hear, there's something very natural about the hd600 and much less so of the x2. I actually think the x2 does sound quite v shaped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back