Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 16, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #9,452 of 15,268
Thanks! For the review I used an Audio-GD SA-31 and a 2 channel Beta22.

Thanks for letting us know. I have Audio-GD SA-31 which is a bright amp compared with my other amps. I am not sure about Beta22, but if I remember it correctly, Beta22 is also not known for its warmness. 

Audio-GD SA-31 and Beta22 are good amps for me, and I am still working toward to acquiring a Beta22. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #9,453 of 15,268
  Some will argue with this, but my experience is that X2 definitely benefits from an amp in general. (Depending on your source of course.)
Not as essential to have amp with it as it is with the high impedance Senns, but a good amp can improve bass extension, overall sound clarity, details, transparency, etc. even with a low impedance hp like X2. It sounds ok from an average source (not like HD600 imo), but far from its best.
I didn't find it satisfying/clear enough from my X3IIs hp out, so I used external amp. But now with my new DX80 I am impressed how the hp out sounds with X2. The amp I used with X3II doesn't improve the sound anymore. On the contrary.
I am still going to try a better amp withDX80 though. :) This road never ends. :)

Strangely enough, I find that my X2's are quieter than my DT990 Pros. Though both improve with an amp as you said with the X2. I like the X2 much better than the 990s btw. It's like there's a hole in the 990s. That said, I'm still trying different op-amps, to be continued.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #9,454 of 15,268
  Some will argue with this, but my experience is that X2 definitely benefits from an amp in general. (Depending on your source of course.)
Not as essential to have amp with it as it is with the high impedance Senns, but a good amp can improve bass extension, overall sound clarity, details, transparency, etc. even with a low impedance hp like X2. It sounds ok from an average source (not like HD600 imo), but far from its best.
I didn't find it satisfying/clear enough from my X3IIs hp out, so I used external amp. But now with my new DX80 I am impressed how the hp out sounds with X2. The amp I used with X3II doesn't improve the sound anymore. On the contrary.
I am still going to try a better amp withDX80 though. :) This road never ends. :)

I thought as much, I'm hoping an O2+ODAC combo will do the job without breaking the bank too much.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #9,455 of 15,268
Thanks for letting us know. I have Audio-GD SA-31 which is a bright amp compared with my other amps. I am not sure about Beta22, but if I remember it correctly, Beta22 is also not known for its warmness. 

Audio-GD SA-31 and Beta22 are good amps for me, and I am still working toward to acquiring a Beta22. 

What other amps? I think my SA-31 is on the warm side, even without the jumpers.

The Beta's a little rolled off on top. I've since sold it so I'm relying on memory.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #9,457 of 15,268
Ah, I've only heard the V200 and I'd agree, it is warmer than the AGD.

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #9,458 of 15,268
You should try to *gently* stretch the headband a bit.

If you're not sure how much, Google it.

I find the X2 quite comfortable, but I've had to stretch several other headphones in the past.

The X2's headband is quite robust; a little stretch should resolve your issue.

Well I appreciate your response. I had actually tried that first by putting them around books and even a garbage can to really stretch them. That certainly helped but I keep getting pain from the right because it doesn't adjust as much as the left, which I was trying to find out if that is how they are built or if there is a problem with the one I have then.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #9,460 of 15,268
I just got off the phone with Philips customer service (after initiating a ticket about 3 weeks ago).  They'll be sending me a new set from their latest stock, and I'll either return my current glued/Gibson pair or the new set (probably less-glued-but-still-Gibson) if they're no different.  I'll be sure to A/B them and note any differences in sound.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #9,461 of 15,268
I have owned my X2 now for about 2 months and to my ears it sounds much better than my previous full headphone (AKG Q701 QJ Edition) and also is much easier to drive. The X2 is much better suited to enjoy music where the Q701 seems (and probably is designed for this) only suited as a studio reference while mastering detecting possible errors in the recording process.

I really like the X2, especially the fact that it even plays very good when connected to an iPhone 6 and listening to highest bitrate Spottify makes it an excellent choice for anyone with a limited budget or not willing to carry extra amps and stuff around. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #9,462 of 15,268
If anyone's interested I posted my review of the X2: http://www.head-fi.org/products/philips-fidelio-x2/reviews/15009

I burned them in for roughly 100 hours.

I don't hear the V-shaped or loose base and distant midrange. One either likes full sound with accentuated bass (which Golden Ears recommends for headphones) or one likes flat and articulate. Your evaluation leans toward the latter. The X2 mid-range is smooth and be well-leveled given the bass boost . The Sennheisers are great, perfect sound even, but require an amp. The Philips can go with and without and still sound great (convenient with casual listing of ipod, tablet, or phone). I've read in this forum that the Sennheisers are accurate and the X2s are fun. I would agree.

I have a pair of B&W Nautilus 804s and listening to them is like listening to the Sennheisers. But adding just the right level of sub-accentuation is like listening to the X2s.

It's all just preference and what one is looking for in sound. But your review somewhat politely trashes the X2s rather than just pointing out the perceived differences.

Lastly, as you mention, there is that price difference too, which can be 3x-to-4x between the X2 and the Sennheiser offerings. Would be hard to argue against the making the X2s being a much better. a very good value at the former sale price (right now though the HD 650s seem to the the Amazon Prime discount of the month at $381).

PS. I had HD598s and spent hours demoying the HD6x0 Sennheisers at various shops in NJ area. Did not try the HD 700s.

EDITED

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #9,463 of 15,268
I don't hear the V-shaped or loose base and distant midrange. One either likes full sound with accentuated bass (which Golden Ears recommends for headphones) or one likes flat and articulate. Your evaluation leans toward the latter. The X2 mid-range is smooth and be well-leveled given the bass boost . The Sennheisers are great, perfect sound even, but require an amp. The Philips can go with and without and still sound great (convenient with casual listing of ipod, tablet, or phone). I've read in this forum that the Sennheisers are accurate and the X2s are fun. I would agree.

I have a pair of B&W Nautilus 804s and listening to them is like listening to the Sennheisers. But adding just the right level of sub-accentuation is like listening to the X2s.

It's all just preference and what one is looking for in sound. But your review somewhat politely trashes the X2s rather than just pointing out the perceived differences.

Lastly, as you mention, there is that price difference too, which can be 3x-to-4x between the X2 and the Sennheiser offerings. Would be hard to argue against the X2s being a much better value.

PS. I had HD598s and spent hours demoying the Sennheisers at various shops in NJ area.

Actually, two of my favorite headphones are the ZMF Omni and JVC DX1000, which are very warm and bassy. I'd take a full sound over a lean sound any day. The only reason I got the HD800 is that I've learned that after a few months a warm sound gets kind of boring. I'm not going to contest what you hear because we all perceive sound differently, but compared to everything that I've heard, the X2's midrange is a bit distant and bass a bit loose, even compared to other bassy headphones.

The X2's price right now on Amazon is $279.99 whereas the HD600 is $330.99 (or if you want to cover you bases, bundled with a DT770 for $399.99) While $50 is still $50, the HD600's more neutral sound signature lends itself better for more music than the more specialized X2 and doesn't sound awful unamped. I used an HD600 out of a phone for a while and was perfectly content. I did buy my X2 for much less, but retail for retail, the price gap shrinks.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #9,464 of 15,268
HD600 is not better than X2, it's different.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #9,465 of 15,268
after using the x2 for a good 2 months. While most say the bass is good, i find the mid bass is good but majorly lacking in sub bass, I keep looking for that rumble but it never came. The mids are very good.  Although the treble could use more extension, it is very clear, spacious and airy (I know its strange but it could be due to open hp character.) Now these days, i actually prefer my diy-desktop more than x2.  My "http://meniscusaudio.com/speedster-pair-p-1219.html" diy speaker has better, mids, and treble when use as desktop monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back