Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 2, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #8,806 of 15,268
I have heard a WOOX pair and two Gibson pairs (A/B/C-ing).  One of the Gibson pairs was much bassier, muddier, veiled, felted, whatever you want to call it.  The other two were very similar.

OK? Maybe it's something with the pads that are causing some pairs to sound more bass-heavy than others. When I took off my earpads and didn't put them on correctly again, my pair sounded much less bassy. But it was because of glue residue on the pins for the holes in the pads, that was causing the pads to not go on fully, and now I can't replicate this again because I removed the residue. But maybe it's the pads. I can't understand what else it might be?

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #8,807 of 15,268
OK? Maybe it's something with the pads that are causing some pairs to sound more bass-heavy than others. When I took off my earpads and didn't put them on correctly again, my pair sounded much less bassy. But it was because of glue residue on the pins for the holes in the pads, that was causing the pads to not go on fully, and now I can't replicate this again because I removed the residue. But maybe it's the pads. I can't understand what else it might be?

There is definitely some variations in each individual pad and how it can change the sound with these headphones.  If I measure the height (from driver cover upwards) of a stock pad, there is a 7mm variation IN ONE PAD!  Kind of impossible that such a variation could NOT affect SQ, and this is not to mention the width/density of material used which also seems to vary.

Both my WOOX and Gibson pairs sound good when they have a 'matching' pair of pads.  I still think I'll order some HM5s next week and see if they're more reliable.

EDIT:  What is the 'pixel peeper' in the headphone world?  I think I'm one of those :p

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #8,808 of 15,268
Sold my X2 because I liked my HD650 better for long time listening..miss the X2 bass, overall balance and wider soundstage but I got annoyed with the grainy treble after listening to the Sennheiser for a while (didn't bother me before)..the HD650 has a soundstage depth which I'd wish on the X2 and although the midrange on the X2 is fine, I like the HD650's better

Still think the X2 is a awesome headphone for the money, big plus for the Sennheiser it's more tinnitus friendly, for me anyways..

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #8,809 of 15,268
There is definitely some variations in each individual pad and how it can change the sound with these headphones.  If I measure the height (from driver cover upwards) of a stock pad, there is a 7mm variation IN ONE PAD!  Kind of impossible that such a variation could NOT affect SQ, and this is not to mention the width/density of material used which also seems to vary.

Both my WOOX and Gibson pairs sound good when they have a 'matching' pair of pads.  I still think I'll order some HM5s next week and see if they're more reliable.

EDIT:  What is the 'pixel peeper' in the headphone world?  I think I'm one of those :p

I dont understand the WOOX and Gibson pairs? Are they different places who makes the X2 or are they just pads?

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #8,810 of 15,268
I dont understand the WOOX and Gibson pairs? Are they different places who makes the X2 or are they just pads?

WOOX was the original division of Philips which was the name the 'early' X2s were produced under.  Gibson is the company that Philips sold WOOX to and the name under which more recent pairs are produced.

Think this has been posted before but here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaB1LPhDQ14

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #8,811 of 15,268
WOOX was the original division of Philips which was the name the 'early' X2s were produced under.  Gibson is the company that Philips sold WOOX to and the name under which more recent pairs are produced.

Think this has been posted before but here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaB1LPhDQ14

So basically, The headphones with glue on are from Gibson and the WOOX ones are the old one without glue? Okey..

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #8,814 of 15,268
Btw, can someone link me a good 3.5 headphones cable that is the same as the regulsr X2 one but shorter? About 1.5m. Hate the long wire when i run it över with my chair... And it must have locking point like one of the X2 cables has.. (The black onr with no text on it)

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #8,816 of 15,268
Btw, can someone link me a good 3.5 headphones cable that is the same as the regulsr X2 one but shorter? About 1.5m. Hate the long wire when i run it över with my chair... And it must have locking point like one of the X2 cables has.. (The black onr with no text on it)

I've been using this from V-Moda:
http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/
It fits X2 and T50RP (v2).

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #8,818 of 15,268
  Why? Do you like them that much? Try another brand without so many problems, you seem mighty fussy. Thought this hobby was about sound not tiny cosmetic issues.

Yes, I like them that much. There's no other headphone available with the same sound signature. Everyone here defines for himself, what this hobby is. I'm very careful with my stuff and I want it to remain this way as I don't want to explain the prospective buyers that it's just a cosmetic issue and lose the residual value when it's time to sell.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #8,819 of 15,268
  You have both X2's and a pair of M50x's, right? Can I ask if you find your M50x's sounding more clear/clean and less muddy and boomy than the X2's?

Yes, I would say it's quite the opposite.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #8,820 of 15,268

V-MODA cables are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back