Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 1, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #8,776 of 15,268
  @Mr Trev I noticed one of your posts from last week saying how you found these headphones very L-C-R.  I feel exactly the same.  Also, any updated impressions of the pleather HM5 pads?  I'm considering the velour FWIW.

I think the L-C-Rish staging might just be an artifact of the angled drivers. I've pretty much gotten used to it and seems normal now.

I took the pleathers off after I had some really weird imaging issues (test tones… the tone was shifted centre-left, narration shifted centre-right. stock pads were completely in the middle). It might have just been the way they were mounted, but I went back to the stock - plus, the pleather were pretty sweaty due to the weight and clamp.

If you look back through the thread you'll find a few posts dealing with modding the pads. Personally, if I was going to make a permanent switch, it'd be the velours as well.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #8,777 of 15,268
I bought DT 990's and X2's. The Dt 990s went back... :) 
  And I'm returning my K712. They do shine with some classical music, but X2 is pretty close and as good or better with everything else, where AKG becomes a bit clinical and harsh. X2 is just so sweet and joy to listen to...

I feel you.
I bought DT 990's and X2's. The Dt 990s went back... :) 

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #8,778 of 15,268
Despite my earlier post about returning my X2s, I debated keeping them. However, I mainly listen to rock, so I decided to audition the Grado 225e. To me, the Grado has more of what I want. After listening to the Grados, the X2s feel too recessed in the mids and are simply more bass heavy than I would like. I'll be keeping the 225e and returning the X2. Glad I got to try them out though, and I think they're a nice, versatile headphone, just not quite the right ones for me.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #8,779 of 15,268
  Despite my earlier post about returning my X2s, I debated keeping them. However, I mainly listen to rock, so I decided to audition the Grado 225e. To me, the Grado has more of what I want. After listening to the Grados, the X2s feel too recessed in the mids and are simply more bass heavy than I would like. I'll be keeping the 225e and returning the X2. Glad I got to try them out though, and I think they're a nice, versatile headphone, just not quite the right ones for me.

You mean you aren't going to go on a hate-slinging tantrum for weeks... you're just going to politely say that they aren't for you? I must be dreaming. Oh, I just realized I was at Head-fi instead of Reddit these days, my mistake. 
cool.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #8,780 of 15,268
  X2's sound pretty similar from different sources. I've tried them through my iPod, Fiio E7, Apogee Duet and Lyr 2 with no big differences. I believe the headphone is the biggest factor in sound quality, by a mile. This assuming there isn't anything broken in the chain.

Agree. Tried several difference dac/amp. no difference basically. And people said X2 is pretty forgiveness.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #8,782 of 15,268
http://www.head-fi.org/t/723025/philips-fidelio-x2/8700#post_12211713

Mine are from Komplett, 1790 kr, elgiganten wont be in stock until February.. so yeah scew them.

Some say the new revision has different sound compared to the old revision, more bass heavy, does anyone here have both revisions?

Its also interesting how some say the X2 are terrible for gaming and some say they're the best for gaming. Whats up with that?

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #8,784 of 15,268
http://www.head-fi.org/t/723025/philips-fidelio-x2/8700#post_12211713

Mine are from Komplett, 1790 kr, elgiganten wont be in stock until February.. so yeah scew them.

Some say the new revision has different sound compared to the old revision, more bass heavy, does anyone here have both revisions?

Its also interesting how some say the X2 are terrible for gaming and some say they're the best for gaming. Whats up with that?

It probably depends on what type of games u play. Like for FPS people say they can't hear footsteps well in games.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #8,785 of 15,268
It probably depends on what type of games u play. Like for FPS people say they can't hear footsteps well in games.

I love my X2 in Witcher 3 and Far Cry 4. Very immersive. So maybe it's not so good with tactical shooters, but does wonders to atmospheric games with quality soundtrack.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #8,787 of 15,268

Yes, I can totally understand this. I LOVE them for gaming, movies/tv and some styles of music. But 80% of my music listening is rock/metal, so they can't be my one and only headphone.

I just ordered two other, very different, headphones (Hifiman He400i and the Beyerdynamic T70). I fully expect to keep the X2s, but I think the other two will serve as nice complements.

I believe firmly that the X2s are wonderful headphones, but that they're not great at everything, as many of us assumed.

But, to be fair, name me another headphone at $300 that's great at everything? I can't name one, unless you hate warm headphones.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #8,788 of 15,268
  So they're more for music?

If you cannot hear footsteps then I guess you'd miss out on other ambient sounds.

I can hear where the animals/monsters are coming from if that's what you're asking. As for the footsteps, I need to try BF4 or something...

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #8,789 of 15,268
I believe firmly that the X2s are wonderful headphones, but that they're not great at everything, as many of us assumed.
But, to be fair, name me another headphone at $300 that's great at everything? I can't name one, unless you hate warm headphones.

I would say the X2 is the only headphone I've heard that is great at almost everything. No matter the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back