Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 31, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #8,657 of 15,268
  I think I'll be doing something similar. I'm getting tired of this constant blanket over the head suffocation that the X2 delivers. The bass is just so unnatural and liberally applied in a hamfisted manner. Maybe the accuracy of the planars is what I need. Now, onto more research..Looks like it'll be either the he 400i or 400s or mad dogs.

400i's are still on sale for $299.  That's why I picked them up.  But yeah, I'm loving the speed and clarity of planars.  It's hitting all the frequencies right for me.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #8,659 of 15,268

When I heard my X2, I thought the exact same thing.  Then I got the HE 400i the other day and I immediately returned the X2.

+1

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #8,660 of 15,268
  I think I'll be doing something similar. I'm getting tired of this constant blanket over the head suffocation that the X2 delivers. The bass is just so unnatural and liberally applied in a hamfisted manner. Maybe the accuracy of the planars is what I need. Now, onto more research..Looks like it'll be either the he 400i or 400s or mad dogs.

After 3 attempts at getting a decent X2 I gave up an went with 400i, couldn't be happier.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #8,661 of 15,268
  I have a pair of Woox Fidelio X2 in perfect condition. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Are you no longer interested in with the X2?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #8,663 of 15,268
X2 SE, you pay extra for that 
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #8,666 of 15,268

400i's are still on sale for $299.  That's why I picked them up.  But yeah, I'm loving the speed and clarity of planars.  It's hitting all the frequencies right for me.

The sound signature on the 400i is similar to the X2 but with less bass bulk and more mid clarity and attack? Or so I've tried to put together from reading random posts on the web. It's very hard to get an idea of what a headphone sounds like, unless you pretty much put yourself in the poster's shoes. 

I've added the Beyer 880 to my shortlist, as I think I'm interested in something more neutral and open, with just a shade of brightness and bass.  "Fun" headphones seem to be geared more towards EDM listeners without the need for clarity, I'm coming to realize. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #8,667 of 15,268
  The sound signature on the 400i is similar to the X2 but with less bass bulk and more mid clarity and attack? Or so I've tried to put together from reading random posts on the web. It's very hard to get an idea of what a headphone sounds like, unless you pretty much put yourself in the poster's shoes. 

I've added the Beyer 880 to my shortlist, as I think I'm interested in something more neutral and open, with just a shade of brightness and bass.  "Fun" headphones seem to be geared more towards EDM listeners without the need for clarity, I'm coming to realize. 

Both DT880 and HE400i are magnificent headphones. HE400i is imho more neutral than DT880. ymmv

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #8,668 of 15,268
I think I don't like the muffled / thick mid-bass and bass rumble bulk sound signature. It's just too much. I want more treble. To my ears, it sounds like a lot of are missing in the top mids. If I had an EQ, I would boost the top midrange. Hope the bass will calm down with further burning in. I can't really enjoy them as they sound right now. There's so much going on towards the sides, like a floating sea with sounds, instead of focused in the center as I would like it. It sounds more "messy" in comparison to my M50's and I have a harder time focusing on the details and fully enjoy them. I want a colder, cleaner, more centered sound. Maybe my brain needs to get used to this very different sound signature. Great for movies though and vocals and pianos sounds very realistic.

I'm getting tired of this constant blanket over the head suffocation that the X2 delivers.

Yes, that's a good description of how I feel too. It doesn't sound so "open" to me (and I'm coming from a closed phone and these are my first open headphones), it sounds muffled and bass-heavy. I am highly regarding Tyle at InnerFidelity and he didn't think the bass was overpowering, and it has got great reviews all around where most people doesn't seem to think they are muffled, so I don't get it. Maybe it will get better after more breaking in.

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #8,669 of 15,268

I'm hoping that the bass bleed into the mids will chill a little with burn-in and more flexibility in the drivers. I got these for my girlfriend and she loves them. What's really funny is that they sound much better from my system with a DAC and a Magni amp. She was totally against amps and DACs, but when she heard it, she changed her mind. I have a Project Polaris coming to replace my Magni and I've convinced her to buy a Modi 2 to source her music.

I thought on first listen that the X2 would be too bassy, but they really do provide a decently wide soundstage for her classical music. Her favorite artist (Mark Lanegan) has some poorly recorded albums with tizzy and sibilant high-hats, but she doesn't seem to mind.

The soundstage is a strange one to me. It simply seems to take a track that's already given a wide mix for the X2 to come to life, otherwise there's a veil that needs EQing. A snare drum was almost completely covered in one mix, something I've never heard before. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #8,670 of 15,268
  I think I don't like the muffled / thick mid-bass and bass rumble bulk sound signature. It's just too much. I want more treble. To my ears, it sounds like a lot of are missing in the top mids. If I had an EQ, I would boost the top midrange. Hope the bass will calm down with further burning in. I can't really enjoy them as they sound right now. There's so much going on towards the sides, like a floating sea with sounds, instead of focused in the center as I would like it. It sounds more "messy" in comparison to my M50's and I have a harder time focusing on the details and fully enjoy them. I want a colder, cleaner, more centered sound. Maybe my brain needs to get used to this very different sound signature. Great for movies though.

Yes, that's a good description of how I feel too. It doesn't sound so "open" to me (and I'm coming from a closed phone and these are my first open headphones), it sounds muffled and bass-heavy. I am highly regarding Tyle at InnerFidelity and he didn't think the bass was overpowering, and it has got great reviews all around where most people doesn't seem to think they are muffled, so I don't get it. Maybe it will get better after more breaking in.

Yeah, same experience here. I wanted something different to the m50 but not so much that it colors the sound to the degree the X2 does. I prefer parts of the X2 over the m50, but on average I have to adjust EQ per album much more frequently, and that just takes time out of actually listening to music. You don't even use EQ? Lol.. I couldn't use the X2 if not for EQ as it does help to bring out some openness. 

Some people say these have little bass, others say they're boomy until broken in, while for me, they're the most bass heavy thing I've heard outside of an actual subwoofer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back