Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 30, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #8,641 of 15,268
Tayano,
How are you liking the X2's, think mine are Glued to my head, I can't take them off:D

I enjoy them very much (especially since my Fischer amps fa4 are reshelled atm).

So they are glued. Do they have the 4 pins also to align them correctly? the pins should fit into 4 little holes too.

They have 4 pins and those pins fits into 4 holes. When I took of the ear pads, there were some glue on the pins. Not much but little.
There's also an alignment-hole.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #8,642 of 15,268
I myself just a brand new pair of X2 for approximately 190USD. I have the darker thicker pads.
I took the ear pads of and there were some glue on, but I could easily just pop the ear pads on again.
My X2 is Gibson according to the box but woox is printed on the headband.

My guess is that they put some glue on so that the ear pads wasn't taken off as easy as some describes. Mine came off pretty easy even with some glue.
The way I see it, they've just added some glue. Maybe to hold it better in place. Anyway, I can pop on my ear pads again so I see it as replaceble.

Thanks for the info. It isn't a big deal for me if the earpads are replaceable or not, as long as there isn't any sound difference between the Gibson and the non-Gibson model(?), it's ok.

ETA: I think these headphones are growing on me. I remember really hating my M50's when I first got them and now I really like them, so.. yeah. The mid-bass is still indeed more thicker-sounding than the M50's, so it sounds more "thick" and less "clean". The imaging and soundstage of the X2's is better though.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #8,643 of 15,268
  Thanks for the info. It isn't a big deal for me if the earpads are replaceable or not, as long as there isn't any sound difference between the Gibson and the non-Gibson model(?), it's ok.

ETA: I think these headphones are growing on me. I remember really hating my M50's when I first got them and now I really like them, so.. yeah. The mid-bass is still indeed more thicker-sounding than the M50's, so it sounds more "thick" and less "clean". The imaging and soundstage of the X2's is better though.

I had mile last year as a gift. I liked it very much when I got it. Many headphones come and goes but for some reason, I kept going back to it. I think its one of the best all rounder around. Like last month I got the HE-560, i have been using it for the last few weeks but for some reason, I have been using my X2 lately more than my 560. I am not saying its better than 560. Its just that the X2 is easier for me to listen to. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #8,645 of 15,268
Fluidz,
Would if I could but no longer have Spotify premium, you also have the oppo Ha-2, could you listen to message in a bottle and tell me does that bass line also sound bloated? I have Bass boost on but love hearing the bass in Rock music, watched U2 at Wembley in 87, Joshua tree tour and you could literally feel the bass hitting you, concerts don't seem as loud these days, probably health & Safety!

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #8,646 of 15,268
Fluidz,
Would if I could but no longer have Spotify premium, you also have the oppo Ha-2, could you listen to message in a bottle and tell me does that bass line also sound bloated? I have Bass boost on but love hearing the bass in Rock music, watched U2 at Wembley in 87, Joshua tree tour and you could literally feel the bass hitting you, concerts don't seem as loud these days, probably health & Safety!

I had a listen to the 2003 stereo remaster, and it does sound much Fuller and fun to listen to when bass boost is turned on but at the expense of clarity.  I wouldn't recommend using bass boost turned on in general with these cans as the mid bass overclouds other sounds and can make quite a lot of songs lose detail.  

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #8,647 of 15,268
Fluidz,
Thanks for reply, gonna try turning bass boost off for a while, I agree you do seem to lose detail with it on, I notice it upon turning bass boost on immediately but after a while the detail just seems to come back, perhaps hearing adjusts to it, interesting anyway!

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #8,648 of 15,268
  I had mile last year as a gift. I liked it very much when I got it. Many headphones come and goes but for some reason, I kept going back to it. I think its one of the best all rounder around. Like last month I got the HE-560, i have been using it for the last few weeks but for some reason, I have been using my X2 lately more than my 560. I am not saying its better than 560. Its just that the X2 is easier for me to listen to. 

For me, I get a bit "fatigued" when I listen to my X2's right now vs my M50's (I don't mean ear fatigue, because it's soft-sounding for the ears). Especially electronic music. Acoustic music and movies are no problem. But with electronic music, I don't know how to explain it, but there's just so much going on. I find them sounding more "complex" and less easy to listen to than my M50's.

The M50's are more focused towards the center, more forward-sounding I guess, and the kick drums hit right in the Center in front of me, whereas with my X2's, it sounds like the kick drum hits inside my head, and not very focused towards the center, it's more all over the place, not as focused. I kind of like the "studio" sound of my M50's, and I actually like the more centered sound, more focused towards the middle. I think the M50's sounds a bit "tastier", more "in your face" and more "fun" while being less natural. It sounds like a "cold shower" in comparison to my X2's. That is my impression so far and I am hopeful it can get better with a break in, I've only listened to them about 10 hours.

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #8,649 of 15,268

I a agree that X2 is a good one all around. I works so well with my Gustard H10 amp that I haven't listened to my other phones and other amps much in the last week or so. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #8,651 of 15,268
  I understand what you are saying. The X2s were the first high end headphone I've ever heard or used and I was very underwhelmed bc they had no clairty
and sounded muffled.

I got a second pair which sounded a bit better but still not very clear. The sound stage is not bad though.

I enjoyed the Grado 325e, AKG Q701, DT990, and ATH AD900X headphones a lot more. I also had the HD700s but they could sound a little too warm(not clear) at times but also had piercing treble
without sounding very clear as well.

I guess I just don't like the layed back sound and rolled off highs.

I like some bass but not too much. I don't care too much if a headphoe lacks some bass but has amazing clarity.

The Grados and ATH AD900x have more clarity to me than the others.

When I heard my X2, I thought the exact same thing.  Then I got the HE 400i the other day and I immediately returned the X2.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #8,652 of 15,268
I got a replacement X2 and I thought I wouldn't rip off the pads this time. Well, its not eve glued it right. The gap is big enough for me to look inside and see the peg with glue all over it. I fear that it would just be a matter of time until it the pads fall off. And then I would have to pay another $20 to get the pad replaced! I dont think thats acceptable. I can't even find replacement the replacement pads on ebay anymore.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #8,653 of 15,268

When I heard my X2, I thought the exact same thing.  Then I got the HE 400i the other day and I immediately returned the X2.

I think I'll be doing something similar. I'm getting tired of this constant blanket over the head suffocation that the X2 delivers. The bass is just so unnatural and liberally applied in a hamfisted manner. Maybe the accuracy of the planars is what I need. Now, onto more research..Looks like it'll be either the he 400i or 400s or mad dogs.

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #8,655 of 15,268
  I've come from the same place as you - from m50 to X2, with these being my first open back headphone. The X2 is definitely darker/warmer, the entire bass region is filled in, whereas with the m50, the bass is hitting at a much narrower range and the m50 has no mids to further muddy the sound. Obviously this is good or bad depending on what you're listening to - but I have to EQ the bass on everything that has the slightest hint of it, it's that thick on the X2. The highs on the m50 are overdone, just too grainy and artificial whereas the highs on the X2 are laid back, which works well on bass light tracks, but with bass heavy tracks, the sound is too full and suffocating. To me, the X2 is missing some harmonics, but I like how it handles the mids of a guitar much better than on the m50. 

The m50, being V shaped is more versatile, but it doesn't excel at anything other than aggressive/hard hitting music, while the X2 sounds good/great for quite a bit of music, but can also sound pretty miserable on tracks that have too much low end/mids or tracks that are overly compressed. The X2 is awful for other purposes, like gaming, the bloated bass sounds so unnatural in this setting, plus that suffocating sensation is on full display. They're strictly for music. So far, I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to return them and go for something else - or just use these for the music that they can render better than the m50s, which is quite a bit(if bass is tamed).

I'm hoping that the bass bleed into the mids will chill a little with burn-in and more flexibility in the drivers. I got these for my girlfriend and she loves them. What's really funny is that they sound much better from my system with a DAC and a Magni amp. She was totally against amps and DACs, but when she heard it, she changed her mind. I have a Project Polaris coming to replace my Magni and I've convinced her to buy a Modi 2 to source her music.

I thought on first listen that the X2 would be too bassy, but they really do provide a decently wide soundstage for her classical music. Her favorite artist (Mark Lanegan) has some poorly recorded albums with tizzy and sibilant high-hats, but she doesn't seem to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back