Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 29, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #8,626 of 15,268

Update: When I push my X2's cups forward on my head, all the way so that the backsides of my ears touches the pad, it sound better, more open and clearer. I think, maybe this is the way they "should" sit but I'm not sure.

Can someone who has a pair of X2's "confirm" this and tell me if they experience the same, the difference in sound depending on how the cups sits.

ETA: "Should" the back of your ear touch the pad? Is that normal?

Yes, I believe this is a reality.  I see several people have acknowledged it. It was also brought up back in August in another thread.  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729413/philips-fidelio-x2-a-review-by-baycode/900#post_11827376

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #8,627 of 15,268
After a bit more time with K712 I have mixed feelings about it. X2 does actually hold its own in jazz/acoustic stuff and absolutely stomps it in rock/metal department. Much more forgiving overall, whereas AKG is a freakin' treble microscope -- gets fatiguing at times. I'm still sure there's no better all-rounder than X2, no matter the cost.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #8,628 of 15,268
  K712 reminds me HD600 alot so far, really great with acoustic and jazz, great sounding piano. Probably trumps X2 here. Very clean highs and sweet midrange, tight bass. X2 trumps it with heavy stuff, though -- progressive death metal / alternative and such. K712 is very decent with those, but somewhat sterile. Everything as I expected, so I think I'd leave them both for their respective genres.

a nice 2-cans combo

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #8,629 of 15,268
  a nice 2-cans combo

K712 is really nice with well-recorded audiophile stuff, but X2 is very close. And is much better with everything else. I'll need some more time to understand if want to leave AKG in my collection.

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #8,631 of 15,268
K712 is really nice with well-recorded audiophile stuff, but X2 is very close. And is much better with everything else. I'll need some more time to understand if want to leave AKG in my collection.
Yes burn in & match with a tube amp if you can. I regret selling mine.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #8,632 of 15,268
I got new edition, made by Woox. Fid Elio X2! :D

baRFvWI.jpg

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #8,633 of 15,268
Okay,
Sent an e-mail voicing my concerns to Phillips Uk and received this reply,

Dear Mr Cooper,

Thank you for your email.

This issue has been highlighted recently and has been escalated to be looked into. I or my team are unsure as to if this is definately the case and if so why this is occuring but while this is being investigated all I can advise is if you are unhappy with the quality of the model you receive to return this until further notice as we would not want you using a model that is not up to par.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Philips Consumer Care

Basically I just highlighted the fact that people were concerned that Quality has dropped with the later models of X2's and informed them of this thread on Head-fi, it would seem it's being looked into, I asked if production had moved to a different factory but no mention of that in their reply, hopefully they can get to the bottom of it.

I also have written a letter of complaint to Philips Sound Nordics @ Gibson. They promised to send my claim to the correct level. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #8,634 of 15,268
Ok,
My X2's arrived this morning, price paid £174 uk pounds, purchased online from the Coolshop in Denmark, I feel as if I have stolen them at this price! Small print on bottom of box says Gibson Innovations Netherlands, I get a sinking feeling............needlessly, I try to find the slightest imperfection but there are none. Lettering around the ear cups is perfect, build Quality is lovely.
One complaint if I have to find one is the fact that the cable which is exquisite has been concertina'd leaving a tight bend every 6 inches or so, why can't it have been coiled loosely the box is plenty big enough?
Anyway, plugged into my Oppo HA-2 (iPhone 6+ source) all files ALAC it's time for initial impressions of sound.
I have only my Over ear Momentums to compare with and I've got to say the Momentums will no longer be used for home listening, the X2's to my ears just blow them away. Horses for courses I guess, will use my Momentums for work as I work in a noisy environment. Pretty sure the Ear pads are glued as they don't want to detach with reasonable force, no signs of residue on the pads however! The sound from these is just incredible, guess I'm a bass head, I have the Oppo set to high gain and Bass boost on, still amazing detail, hope you can tell I'm pleased, guess not all the Gibsons have quality issues, I honestly can't find an imperfection with mine, now excuse me, I've some listening to do........

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #8,635 of 15,268
My X2's arrived this morning, price paid £174 uk pounds, purchased online from the Coolshop in Denmark, I feel as if I have stolen them at this price! Small print on bottom of box says Gibson Innovations Netherlands, I get a sinking feeling............needlessly, I try to find the slightest imperfection but there are none. Lettering around the ear cups is perfect, build Quality is lovely.

My box says "2014 (C) Gibson Innovations Limited". Does that mean that it's possible that the earpads aren't detachable on my pair? And what's up with this anyway? Is there more than one version of these headphones, what's the "problem"?

@Jotunblod , that's exactly what my ears thinks too.

@rgmffn , thanks for sharing, good to know that I'm not crazy.

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #8,636 of 15,268
My box says "2014 (C) Gibson Innovations Limited". Does that mean that it's possible that the earpads aren't detachable on my pair? And what's up with this anyway? Is there more than one version of these headphones, what's the "problem"?

@Jotunblod , that's exactly what my ears thinks too.

@rgmffn , thanks for sharing, good to know that I'm not crazy.

Depends how you class detachable, it seems that the Gibson era X2's have the ear pads glued on, I don't see any problem with this as I look after my gear and doubt that I'll ever need to replace them and no there is only 1 version of the X2 that I know of but people seem to have had issues with the recently purchased X2's ranging from shoddy finishing to actual sound issues like driver imbalance, loving everything about these atm! Mine came with a manual stating that the ear pads are replaceable and I guess they are whether glued or not, anyone know if Phillips actually offer replacements to purchase?

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #8,638 of 15,268
I myself just a brand new pair of X2 for approximately 190USD. I have the darker thicker pads.
I took the ear pads of and there were some glue on, but I could easily just pop the ear pads on again.
My X2 is Gibson according to the box but woox is printed on the headband.

My guess is that they put some glue on so that the ear pads wasn't taken off as easy as some describes. Mine came off pretty easy even with some glue.
The way I see it, they've just added some glue. Maybe to hold it better in place. Anyway, I can pop on my ear pads again so I see it as replaceble.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #8,640 of 15,268
I myself just a brand new pair of X2 for approximately 190USD. I have the darker thicker pads.
I took the ear pads of and there were some glue on, but I could easily just pop the ear pads on again.
My X2 is Gibson according to the box but woox is printed on the headband.

My guess is that they put some glue on so that the ear pads wasn't taken off as easy as some describes. Mine came off pretty easy even with some glue.
The way I see it, they've just added some glue. Maybe to hold it better in place. Anyway, I can pop on my ear pads again so I see it as replaceble.

So they are glued. Do they have the 4 pins also to align them correctly? the pins should fit into 4 little holes too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back