Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 29, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #8,567 of 15,268
So out of interest I took a look at my X2 box, they have been solid performers, with none of the problems discussed.I purchaced them a good few months before gluegate so thought it would be interesting to see who they where made by as I dont have any writing at all on the head band. Sure enough they are Woox, looks like it is since Gibson have become involved the glue and all round shoddy finish have become problems.

Shame really I doubt anyone from the main company realised there was such poor production of their flagship headphone until recently and everyone started to complain. Hopefully the next production batch will be better. It is a real shame that this has happened as the good pairs are really worth their price, looking and feeling a premium product.

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #8,568 of 15,268
  So out of interest I took a look at my X2 box, they have been solid performers, with none of the problems discussed.I purchaced them a good few months before gluegate so thought it would be interesting to see who they where made by as I dont have any writing at all on the head band. Sure enough they are Woox, looks like it is since Gibson have become involved the glue and all round shoddy finish have become problems.

Shame really I doubt anyone from the main company realised there was such poor production of their flagship headphone until recently and everyone started to complain. Hopefully the next production batch will be better. It is a real shame that this has happened as the good pairs are really worth their price, looking and feeling a premium product.

No writing on the headband?!  That's a first.  Sure you don't have the X1? :p

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #8,569 of 15,268
In honor of Lemmy, I listened to "Overkill," "Bomber," and "Ace of Spades" last night through the X2s. It's a shame there was no way to record his bass chords, because that would put the albums over the top. One thing that stood out that I had never heard on the HD650s was guitar distortion in the upper frequencies. An incredibly fun time!

My box doesn't mention Gibson anywhere, so maybe that's partially why I've had zero problems.

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #8,570 of 15,268

No writing on the headband?!  That's a first.  Sure you don't have the X1? :p

Nope deffinatly the X2 they where bought from amazon.it end of April. Dark outer ring with the writing on the outside and pads that just pull off, they are deffinatly genuine as they came direct from amazon. I have looked all over them and nothing, even had my husband take a look in-case it was me. Might have worn off I guess but dont see how.

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #8,571 of 15,268

Nope deffinatly the X2 they where bought from amazon.it end of April. Dark outer ring with the writing on the outside and pads that just pull off, they are deffinatly genuine as they came direct from amazon. I have looked all over them and nothing, even had my husband take a look in-case it was me. Might have worn off I guess but dont see how.

Not sure if you mean the outer headband (across the top) or the inner one.  You should have a WOOX stamp above the L symbol if you slide the mesh band up.

Kind of beside the point if you're happy with your pair.  Bought them at the perfect time :)

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #8,572 of 15,268

Not sure if you mean the outer headband (across the top) or the inner one.  You should have a WOOX stamp above the L symbol if you slide the mesh band up.

Kind of beside the point if you're happy with your pair.  Bought them at the perfect time :)

doh, yep is exactly where you said, feel an idiot now lol

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #8,573 of 15,268
I've got 2X2. One "old" and one from September 2015. Both are WOOX stamped and the new one is glued. No problem removing ear pad.
Both look and sound great. Keeping both :)

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #8,575 of 15,268
  Just picked up my third pair (second Gibson).. can't listen to them until tonight, but I think Philips are trolling me now.

The right ear cup space is also about 1cm smaller than the left.  So I have a pair of Fid elio X2s which are half on-ear.. cool beans.

Dang, this one is the winner.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #8,576 of 15,268
It looks like Philips' ticket into the high end market has expired. Its a shame.
They should revoke the license they gave to Gibson.

HIGH DEF       ON       DPHON          ELIO X2
              INITI     HEA          E FID

Darn, now i understand. It's really hard trying to type in a straight line. 
tongue.gif

Edit: Edited my signature, just to clarify. :)

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #8,579 of 15,268
  "gluegate"

You nailed it !!! That is what this is: 'G-L-U-E-G-A-T-E'

Of course, we have 'InkGate', 'ImbalanceGate', 'RingGate', 'StripGate', 'SerialNumberGate', 'SpaceGate', 'EarpadGate', 'BassGate', 'FloppyBassGate', 'QAGate', 'WooxGate', and 'GibsonGate'

I wonder what is going on at Woox? Do they read this? Do they know of think they have issues? Do the care? I can see why they might be reluctant to chime in, like Schiit, but if they want to protect their 'Fidelio' brand and the X2s, they should contribute a statement of customer support and acknowledge manufacturing process changes plus any QC issues.

Edited (added):

I see their global headquarters is in Sha Tin, Hong Kong. This is pretty interesting:

"Gibson Brands acquired the business from Royal Philips as part of its ambition to become the world's #1 music lifestyle company. The acquisition followed the company's investments in audio brands including Onkyo and TEAC. Gibson Brands is a privately held company with a portfolio of music and audio brands for both consumer and professionals, across the full journey of music: creation, performance and experience. Complementing Gibson Brands' musical instruments and professional audio divisions, Gibson Innovations is dedicated to bringing the finest experiences to consumers"

I did not realize that Gibson owns Onkyo and TEAC. This seems like a pretty ambitious expansion effort by a musical instrument company.

By the way, any Apple Heads try these NC1L's out? Seems like you will need to get ready for the subtraction of the 3.5 mm analog output.

"The Philips Fidelio NC1L on-ear headphones are the first ever Active Noise Cancelling headphones to go battery-free with a direct digital connection to your iOS device via the Lightning™ connector. 24-bit Digital to Analog Conversion (DAC), amplification and noise cancellation take place in the headphones themselves..." 

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #8,580 of 15,268
This is upsetting. I am thinking already, whether I should wait a little bit before returning my set in the hope to get a piece from another batch. Though there is no guarantee and most likely will be some sort of QA issues. I wonder if there is way to map some specific problems from the serial number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back