Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 29, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #8,581 of 15,268
I'm waiting for few more weeks before exchanging my (fifth?) pair. It's going to be the last attempt.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #8,582 of 15,268
I got my new pair of headphones today, Fidelio X2, and my first impression is that they are without a doubt more bass heavy than my "old" M50's (the newer, white-boxed version). I was expecting a "lighter" or more brighter sound than my M50's, but it is darker-sounding, so I'm so far a bit disappointed.

This is my first open headphone, whereas the M50's are closed, and I can't say that I'm experiencing that much of a difference in imaging and soundstage as I thought I would, at least not yet.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #8,583 of 15,268
Man I gave up on mine and won't be coming back but I admire the dedication here to getting a good pair. Philips should read this forum and offer everyone a free one based on loyalty alone. The past 100 or more posts are all about quality control issues. When I first got them the thread was all about how great they are. Good luck to those still trying....

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #8,585 of 15,268
My M50's really do sound cleaner and clearer. Less "boxy"-sounding and more open :S I don't understand. Does anyone think it might get better after a burn-in or could it be something wrong with my pair?

ETA: I mean, the difference is big. When I compare them, the X2's sounds muddy, dark and bass-heavy in comparison with my M50's. The soundstage is wider and the treble is softer on the X2 but Hmm?

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #8,586 of 15,268
Dec 29, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #8,587 of 15,268
Luckily the one (X2) I got from a third party seller has only minor "rings" issue, so if I wouldn't succeed with another exchange, I would leave those. They're fantastic.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #8,588 of 15,268
I just got my K712. Would be interesting to compare.

could you please compare them when you get chance. I have two pairs of fidelio x2 and second one is fid elio. It would be very difficult for me to go through all the hassle of returning both through international shipping. I want to know if it is worth returning....

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #8,589 of 15,268
My M50's really do sound cleaner and clearer. Less "boxy"-sounding and more open :S I don't understand. Does anyone think it might get better after a burn-in or could it be something wrong with my pair?

ETA: I mean, the difference is big. When I compare them, the X2's sounds very muddy, dark and bass-heavy in comparison with my M50's. The soundstage is wider and the treble is softer on the X2 but Hmm?

It's because the M50s have an unnatural high-end to make it seem more detailed. IMO, anyway.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #8,590 of 15,268
I guess I'm lucky..

Ordered mine 19th December from Amazon Warehouse UK for £139 in Used - very good condition although arrived in Mint condition other than a slightly torn box.
Checked the box and band - both are Woox, no issues with the quality as of yet.   

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #8,593 of 15,268
Okay,
Sent an e-mail voicing my concerns to Phillips Uk and received this reply,

Dear Mr Cooper,

Thank you for your email.

This issue has been highlighted recently and has been escalated to be looked into. I or my team are unsure as to if this is definately the case and if so why this is occuring but while this is being investigated all I can advise is if you are unhappy with the quality of the model you receive to return this until further notice as we would not want you using a model that is not up to par.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Philips Consumer Care

Basically I just highlighted the fact that people were concerned that Quality has dropped with the later models of X2's and informed them of this thread on Head-fi, it would seem it's being looked into, I asked if production had moved to a different factory but no mention of that in their reply, hopefully they can get to the bottom of it.

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #8,594 of 15,268
  Thanks for your answer. I don't like that it sounds darker and muddier though, but maybe it will get better after burn in or my ears get used to it.

Mine were a little muddy and the bass was quite boomy when I first got them but break-in tightened that up significantly.  What is your source? I've gotten similar sound to what you describe out of them when the output impedance is high (Receiver HO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back