Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 15, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #7,411 of 15,268
  +1
Any changes, if there are any, should be very minor.
I would still stick with mediabridge/monoprice/kabeldirect ones just for piece of mind, though (also because they're cheaper  
>.<).

I got one from Mediabridge and it's a nice looking cable, but way too short... I believe they don't make them 6 ft?

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #7,412 of 15,268
Thanks!  Which ones have the best microphonics or I guess in this case "least microphonics?"

I bought the VMODA hopign it would be better, but after reading some of the comments on the above first link Idk....

I'm a newbie, so for someone like me I might not understand what's going on, but one thing for sure is, I have great ears, so if it can be heard, I will most likely be able to hear it.

The question is... Would we notice the difference if the cable was a "lemon?"

Should the VMODA cable sound a lot better than the stock cable when we switch them?

No, I can't tell the difference between any of my four cables. Just stick to a good brand, and you should be fine.

Headphone cables are a somewhat controversial topic here. I call shenanigans on anyone saying their cable improves sound quality appreciably. The Fidelio X1 was an outlier in that it had a measurably worse cable.

If anyone says cable X sounds much better than cable Y, I ask for measurements.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #7,413 of 15,268
If the issue is high impedance, wouldn't that affect quality?  Someone mentioned "Dampening factor?"

Quote:

I don't expect any changes in sound. I bought the replacement cable for the practical reasons.

Well, what's the issue with "Microphonics" just noise that could be produced in the headphones?  static and humming/hissing noises????

+1
Any changes, if there are any, should be very minor.
I would still stick with mediabridge/monoprice/kabeldirect ones just for piece of mind, though (also because they're cheaper  
>.<).

So should I return this VMODA cable and get another one then....?

No, I can't tell the difference between any of my four cables. Just stick to a good brand, and you should be fine.

Headphone cables are a somewhat controversial topic here. I call shenanigans on anyone saying their cable improves sound quality appreciably. The Fidelio X1 was an outlier in that it had a measurably worse cable.

If anyone says cable X sounds much better than cable Y, I ask for measurements.

Hmm thanks.  I believe there were talks of output impedance thouhg?  So wouldn't that be an issue with the HPs?

I know there is tons of topics on cables, and if they are better or not, but I would assume there are better/worse materials to use.

I had heard the reason Monster Cable's cables are so high priced is because of some sort of gas inside the cables or something.  Couldn't find any information on this from them, but this is what I was told, could have been misinformation though.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #7,414 of 15,268
The issue with the X2 cable is you get noise in the headphones when the cable moves, this is what we mean by microphonics. So far for me this has only occurred when the headphones were on my ears but I had no music playing. Whenever music was playing, I could only hear the music.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #7,415 of 15,268
  Well, what's the issue with "Microphonics" just noise that could be produced in the headphones?  static and humming/hissing noises????
So should I return this VMODA cable and get another one then....?

Microphonics is the noise produced by rubbing the cable against your body or whatnot and audible in your headphone. I wouldn't return the cable just because someone on the Internet told something bad about it without any evidence. 

Here Tyll describes the effect of the high impedance in headphone cables: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1#Vz8dLC6wZUYRHbsH.97

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #7,416 of 15,268

Microphonics is the noise produced by rubbing the cable against your body or whatnot and audible in your headphone. I wouldn't return the cable just because someone on the Internet told something bad about it without any evidence.

The issue with the X2 cable is you get noise in the headphones when the cable moves, this is what we mean by microphonics. So far for me this has only occurred when the headphones were on my ears but I had no music playing. Whenever music was playing, I could only hear the music.

Thanks :).  I thought talks of Impedance were the issue?  Or was that just the one guy claiming issues, without any proof?

I just figured if there was a better cable out there, why not return one to get the other?  I just bought the cable with the HPs since I was going to buy it anyways...

Also Merrick... Didn't realize you joined yesterday.. Welcome!

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #7,419 of 15,268
You can contact Amazon customer service and ask them to refund the extra shipping charge (if you had to pay the $3.99 or whatever it is to upgrade to one day shipping). Otherwise they may give you a small credit towards your next purchase for missing the delivery date.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #7,420 of 15,268

I got one from Mediabridge and it's a nice looking cable, but way too short... I believe they don't make them 6 ft?

They make a 8 ft one, but that's the closest length I could find on Amazon.
I know Kabeldirekt and Monoprice make 6 fts.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #7,421 of 15,268
  I really have to learn that "One-Day Shipping" this time of year really means two. Good thing I'm already a Prime member, otherwise I'd be ticked.

If it's guaranteed, and you didn't get your package, you can contact Amazon, and they will give you a full refund.  I know to some this might seem like a A-hole move, but apparently Amazon's policy is if it doesn't arrive the day of "Guaranteed" shipping, it's considered lost or w/e and they give you your money back.  When it comes you'll contact them and say you got it, and they will tell you to keep it probably.  I've heard of them letting people keep duplicate items that were put in the box by accident.

It's a shame that 1 day shipping isn't 1 day shipping...

I ordered 2 day shipping this time, and for some reason they are shipping it out tomorrow.... as 1 day shipping....

You better believe I will be PISSED if I don't get my stuff on Thursday...  What good is 27$  shipping and handling...?

37$ in tax...:'(

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #7,422 of 15,268
I love that these headphones retain detail at lower volumes. I've currently got mine set low because my wife is working downstairs and I don't want to disturb her with my open back headphones. I'm listening to a very nice, dynamic mastering of Thriller and I'm hearing all kinds of little details. I've found with the 7506, the fine details get lost at lower volume.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #7,423 of 15,268
If it's guaranteed, and you didn't get your package, you can contact Amazon, and they will give you a full refund.  I know to some this might seem like a A-hole move, but apparently Amazon's policy is if it doesn't arrive the day of "Guaranteed" shipping, it's considered lost or w/e and they give you your money back.  When it comes you'll contact them and say you got it, and they will tell you to keep it probably.  I've heard of them letting people keep duplicate items that were put in the box by accident.

It's a shame that 1 day shipping isn't 1 day shipping...

I ordered 2 day shipping this time, and for some reason they are shipping it out tomorrow.... as 1 day shipping....

You better believe I will be PISSED if I don't get my stuff on Thursday...  What good is 27$  shipping and handling...?

37$ in tax...:'(

They beat me to it...

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #7,424 of 15,268
I know I've posted a lot today, but I just have to reiterate how glad I am that I jumped on yesterday's sale. What a tremendous set the X2 is. This is my new reference for single-ended input (noting that I've not listened to any of the true flagships). The only reason I'm even going to use my 7506 after this is for traveling or in other public spaces.

I'm still eager to try the 400S in balanced mode, I'm such a fan of balanced output that I imagine that will still be the bulk of my listening. But the X2 is absolutely a keeper and pairs beautifully with the Geek Out V2. Thanks to everyone who counseled pulling the trigger yesterday!

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #7,425 of 15,268
They beat me to it...

I guess with 2 day shipping it's guaranteed (one day also), so Idk what this is about...  Maybe some stupid holiday clause or something....

I know I've posted a lot today, but I just have to reiterate how glad I am that I jumped on yesterday's sale. What a tremendous set the X2 is. This is my new reference for single-ended input (noting that I've not listened to any of the true flagships). The only reason I'm even going to use my 7506 after this is for traveling or in other public spaces.

I'm still eager to try the 400S in balanced mode, I'm such a fan of balanced output that I imagine that will still be the bulk of my listening. But the X2 is absolutely a keeper and pairs beautifully with the Geek Out V2. Thanks to everyone who counseled pulling the trigger yesterday!

Be careful Tstewart doesn't rage at you cuz your 1-day happened, while his didn't.... :frowning2: :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back