Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 16, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #7,428 of 15,268
Has haa! Anyhow this is my first headphone, I usually listen from my dunu2k or my diy ribbon desktop monitor. The x2 just sound different, I just need some time to get a better feel of them. So far there are things they do really well but somethings I still missing. I need some burn in time for the hardware to flex. I hope the bass will dig a bit lower with burn in.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #7,429 of 15,268
Don't forget!
The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #7,430 of 15,268
I know I've posted a lot today, but I just have to reiterate how glad I am that I jumped on yesterday's sale. What a tremendous set the X2 is. This is my new reference for single-ended input (noting that I've not listened to any of the true flagships). The only reason I'm even going to use my 7506 after this is for traveling or in other public spaces.

I'm still eager to try the 400S in balanced mode, I'm such a fan of balanced output that I imagine that will still be the bulk of my listening. But the X2 is absolutely a keeper and pairs beautifully with the Geek Out V2. Thanks to everyone who counseled pulling the trigger yesterday!

These sound to be quite complementary as far as two open headphones go.

Many of us look up to Tyll at Innerfidelity and agree with most of his reviews. In my case, I prefer a similar sound signature, and he's able to use measurements to identify headphones' strengths and weaknesses, an approach i find helpful in a hobby that is highly subjective.

Anyway, here's his review where he mentioned the X2. He kept them both on the Wall of Fame, and at $300, they are the cheapest over-ear open headphones on the wall.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/terrific-hifiman-he400s-planar-magnetic-headphones-page-2

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #7,432 of 15,268
  Yes, I've read many of the reviews on Inner Fidelity. Definitely a great resource. His review was one of the reasons I chose to get the 400S over the HD600, as he said he thinks the 400S has dethroned the HD600.

That's his subjective opinion.  You should usually read a variety of trustworthy reviews rather than just basing a purchase off one.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #7,434 of 15,268
That's his subjective opinion.  You should usually read a variety of trustworthy reviews rather than just basing a purchase off one.

+1

Personally I find the hd650 better in many aspects to the X2, and think that it compares more to the 400i than 400s.

But that's my ears.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #7,436 of 15,268
My off-the-cuff purchase was these X2's. I only looked at them because of the Amazon sale. Glad I did, of course, but I did a lot more research on the 400S before pulling the trigger.

I've heard the HD600 in SE and balanced mode. It was very nice, and I may eventually end up going back to it. But the 400S intrigued me and I wanted to give it a try. It's gotten a lot of good reviews, especially from people who are coming from other comparable headphones. Most of the negative reviews I've seen were from people who were used to more expensive cans.

If I don't like them, I can return them or sell them. But I didn't just read one review and say, "That's the one!"

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #7,437 of 15,268
+1

Personally I find the hd650 better in many aspects to the X2, and think that it compares more to the 400i than 400s.

But that's my ears.

Yep, just your ears.. I can't think of any such aspects. HD600 still has some advantages though.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #7,438 of 15,268
  My off-the-cuff purchase was these X2's. I only looked at them because of the Amazon sale. Glad I did, of course, but I did a lot more research on the 400S before pulling the trigger.

I've heard the HD600 in SE and balanced mode. It was very nice, and I may eventually end up going back to it. But the 400S intrigued me and I wanted to give it a try. It's gotten a lot of good reviews, especially from people who are coming from other comparable headphones. Most of the negative reviews I've seen were from people who were used to more expensive cans.

If I don't like them, I can return them or sell them. But I didn't just read one review and say, "That's the one!"

That's good to hear, I know some people who do exactly that, and it's a bit frustrating.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #7,439 of 15,268
Yep, just your ears.. I can't think of any such aspects. HD600 still has some advantages though.

A lot of people's ears actually, but that was kinda my point. Once you get to this tier in headphones, subjective direct comparisons is the best way to find your headphone. Everyones opinion will be heavily influenced by the gear used, music they listen too and the fact that human ears can literally perceive audio frequencies differently from other people.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #7,440 of 15,268

Users who are viewing this thread

Back