Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 14, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #7,202 of 15,268
  I looked into the HE-400's as well. They weren't for me, too much sound shaping and I heard the band/clamp was uncomfortable for long listening periods. I know a lot of people love them though and wish Hifiman would release an update with a similar sound signature. Also, IIRC, the biggest complaint was piercing treble.

The PM-3 is next on my wish list. I'll probably wait for my birthday to get them, two new cans this month alone is more than enough. I understand the frustration of wanting to have ONE pair that does everything you need.

Also, have you looked into USB DAC/Amp combos? They're relatively cheap, many of them can drive a lot of different headphones and have good DAC chips in them. They'd definitely be a good starter to have, especially if most/all the music is coming from your computer anyway. That could save you some money upfront that could be invested in getting the headphones. Examples are the Schiit Fulla, the Dragonfly, several of the various Geek Outs, the FiiO Q1, etc.

Thanks for the info, I think I heard about the treble too...  

I think people were confused when I said I like treble, but didn't get the part where I said I don't like harsh treble....

I really was interested int he PM-3's, was going to go on the loaner program, but really didn't want to give my addy away to someone random.

Well, if I wanted to, I could just use the sound card I have, which apparently is pretty high end overall, but not too sure how it compares to external DAC/Amps.

The Sound card is the Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102015

But I'm interested in Dedicated gear too... :)

One person said they weren't sure this would work well for me, but like others said everyone is different... I just hope I like it....

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #7,203 of 15,268
With the exception of the HE-400S, which is $300 MSRP, all planar headphones are more expensive than your budget of $300 (as noted in the thread you linked to). The next cheapest planar, the Oppo PM-3, is $400. The HE-560 is even more than that. Since you were saying you don't have a ton of money, it seems to make sense to maximize your dollar, which this sale does. On the other hand, if you really don't have enough, maybe this isn't the right time to go further with this hobby.

On the other hand, realize that you don't necessarily need everything at once. Maybe you could get some less expensive, easier to drive headphones for now, then get a good amp, then upgrade your headphones later, then get a DAC to really bring out the best in your files.

Also, realize that there are no perfect headphones. If there were, we'd all buy those and no one would make anything else. These headphones may or may not work for you, you won't know until you try them. But at this price, it's a good deal.

Well, I gotta say I'm extremely sensitive to harsh treble and X2 end up being one of the least fatiguing headphones I've ever owned.

I agree with both of you.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #7,204 of 15,268

I don't think he needs suggestions to mod or change earpads and whatnot.  He's confused enough already, and seizes on any detail to confuse himself further.  He's like a blind dog in a meat house.

Lol! I'm not sure if that was inspired by my posts, but in case it was, the only reason I brought up the mt220's + hybrid pad mods was because Eurobeat spent some time in the mt220 thread and was quite interested in them. So I just wanted him to know that the pad mod changes their signature quite a bit.

I suggest addressing anxiety by simplifying, and buying the excellent and well-priced X2.  Plug in and be happy.

As per my last post, I concur!
beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #7,205 of 15,268
Don't sweat over it too much. If you don't like something - return or sell... Trying things and getting experience is part of the fun.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #7,206 of 15,268

Yeah, I love the Yammy's (especially with the hybrid pads), but I also love the X1's (although for some reason I seem to end up listening to closed hp's more). Again, I'd recommending just getting the X2's if they are on sale. From mostly everything I have read they are amazing for the price (and knowing how good the X1's are, I believe it), so there's a good chance you will like them. And if you are not sure after you get them, just return them. Done. After you have thoroughly enjoyed them for a year or two, then you can go through this crazy process all over again (and sell me your X2's for a good price lol).

I would love to try the Yamahas, and they probably would have been great all this time, except they do seem a bit heavy, ut I think these are also Heavy?

I guess i'll just jump on these then, and see how I like them.  Read up on some gear, and go from there.

Quote:

Lol! I'm not sure if that was inspired by my posts, but in case it was, the only reason I brought up the mt220's + hybrid pad mods was because Eurobeat spent some time in the mt220 thread and was quite interested in them. So I just wanted him to know that the pad mod changes their signature quite a bit.

As per my last post, I concur!
beerchug.gif

He's just upset for no reason, I guess people here cannot ask questions, without the Supreme Audiophile Overlords getting upset over something.

Good to know abouti the mods, Iv'e been watching them for awhile, like the Sorbathane one :p.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #7,207 of 15,268

Thanks for the info, I think I heard about the treble too...  

I think people were confused when I said I like treble, but didn't get the part where I said I don't like harsh treble....

I really was interested int he PM-3's, was going to go on the loaner program, but really didn't want to give my addy away to someone random.

Well, if I wanted to, I could just use the sound card I have, which apparently is pretty high end overall, but not too sure how it compares to external DAC/Amps.

The Sound card is the Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102015

But I'm interested in Dedicated gear too... :)

One person said they weren't sure this would work well for me, but like others said everyone is different... I just hope I like it....

If you feel your sound card is sufficient for now, then skip the DAC and just get an amp. That will simplify your search and will likely also maximize your dollar, as you won't be paying extra for a DAC that you don't necessarily need. Down the line, if you feel your sound card isn't cutting it, you can get a DAC and it will work with your existing amp and headphones.

At a certain point, you need to pull the trigger on something. :) The good thing about this sale is that: A. The X2 is a well regarded headphone, claiming the favorite spot for many users on this site. B. It's on sale! Maximize your money! C. If you don't like it, you can return it. D. If you like it enough to keep it, but it's not really the best set for you, you can resell it later to help fund your next headphone purchase.

There's really no way to lose here. Except the obvious way to lose: Not buying the headphones and regretting it.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #7,209 of 15,268

At a certain point, you need to pull the trigger on something. :) The good thing about this sale is that: A. The X2 is a well regarded headphone, claiming the favorite spot for many users on this site. B. It's on sale! Maximize your money! C. If you don't like it, you can return it. D. If you like it enough to keep it, but it's not really the best set for you, you can resell it later to help fund your next headphone purchase.

There's really no way to lose here. Except the obvious way to lose: Not buying the headphones and regretting it.

+1

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #7,214 of 15,268
  Amazon has same-day shipping on some items in many areas for Prime subscribers if you order before a certain cutoff time (something like noon local time I think).

Yes sir!!!!!!!! exactly!!!!!!! :)

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #7,215 of 15,268

If you feel your sound card is sufficient for now, then skip the DAC and just get an amp. That will simplify your search and will likely also maximize your dollar, as you won't be paying extra for a DAC that you don't necessarily need. Down the line, if you feel your sound card isn't cutting it, you can get a DAC and it will work with your existing amp and headphones.

One comment I read on here was that the card has  4 CS4398 DAC chips.

It I think has a "pre-Amp" also, so not sure how that compares to a regular amp.

I don't want to lose ;'( :p

I just hope I like them, seems like a few issues with things, but with a new cable and such I should be okay...  Just not sure about new pads.  I guess I'll wash these pads when I get them tooo...

just got my X2 from Amazon.... WOW!!!  these sound great!! they blow the my HD598 out the water. Good purchase for $200 buckeroos!!!

Nice, congrats!!

Can't believe these haven't sold out yet.  They were on sale earlier in the year for $240 and it sold out.  Thought about buying it then but good thing they sold out.

Yeah, still in stock, :p.

Did you get yours now for 200?

You live next door or something?

He might have gotten them by ordering the other day and just saying 200$ is a good purchase, but maybe he did buy it for 200$ and got it today LOL!
  Amazon has same-day shipping on some items in many areas for Prime subscribers if you order before a certain cutoff time (something like noon local time I think).

Amazon has their 40 minute service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back