Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 14, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #7,186 of 15,268
  Ugh... See this is what I'm talking about....

Now what should I do.... :frowning2:

With Amazon's return policy it's a no brainer to buy it and try it by yourself, IMO.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #7,187 of 15,268
Dec 14, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #7,188 of 15,268
What's your budget? From what source will be using? Do you have, or plan on purchasing an amp? Do you require isolation - for you not to hear sound while you play, or for others to hear sound leaking?

I think a lot of that can be answered here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785486/looking-for-a-great-pair-headphones-for-fast-music-details-inside

I was looking to spend about 300$ on HPs, I'm willing to get an Amp/DAC, my source will be my computer, I'm inside at my computer most of the time.  I have a Sound Card  "Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro with Console I/O Box"

I don't need sound isolation, I normally listen to Speakers now, though I did enjoy my closed Logitech G35's, but I like Speakers too so Idk...

So 300$ or so HPs

Inside most of the time, don't need it for travelling or whatnot.

Source computer, through Soundcard or other devices if I should purchase them.

Quote:

With Amazon's return policy it's a no brainer to buy it and try it by yourself, IMO.

For sure, but even if I like them, what if there's better :O?

WHAT IF I'M MISSING OUT?

What if... THE CAKE IS A LIE?

I guess I shoudl order them and find out though...  Still a hard decision, and I wish I had another pair to compare to...
  It's not too late to cancel the whole order.

Didnt' place it yet...

I actually realize I might not have enough for all the crap I want....

I thought I had more money than I do... ugh...

How long does it take Amazon to bill people?  I have a check I need to bring to the bank tomorrow...

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #7,189 of 15,268
For sure, but even if I like them, what if there's better :O?

WHAT IF I'M MISSING OUT?

What if... THE CAKE IS A LIE?

I guess I shoudl order them and find out though...  Still a hard decision, and I wish I had another pair to compare to...

Didnt' place it yet...

How long does it take Amazon to bill people?  I have a check I need to bring to the bank tomorrow...

Chill out, bro. :)

You need to find out what you're looking for before you purchase anything.

You need to find out the type of sound you enjoy. You may have to try several headphones before you decide what you want.

Good luck!

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #7,190 of 15,268
Chill out, bro.
smily_headphones1.gif

You need to find out what you're looking for before you purchase anything.

You need to find out the type of sound you enjoy. You may have to try several headphones before you decide what you want.

Good luck!

I'm chill, I was just messing around.

I've been lookign for awhile, and wasn't thinking about getting anything, but now with this deal it seems too good to pass up...  I almost bought them awhile ago, because they sounded what I might be lookign for, but everyone has their own opinions... It's hard to know what's what... :frowning2:(((

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #7,191 of 15,268
  I've been lookign for awhile, and wasn't thinking about getting anything, but now with this deal it seems too good to pass up...  I almost bought them awhile ago, because they sounded what I might be lookign for, but everyone has their own opinions... It's hard to know what's what... :frowning2:(((

That's why you have to decide by yourself. This is a very good deal in any case.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #7,192 of 15,268
Gave it a quick listen and this type of music to me sounds better on my HE 560 then on X2 (but most things do) IMO this music will play better on planar headphones.

Saying the HE-560s are better, while no doubt true, is not particularly helpful here. Today, they're almost $500 more expensive than the X2s.

No one will doubt the HE-560s are top-notch but at $400-500 more, they're expected to be.

Rather, the X2s should be compared to the Hifiman 400s or Sennheiser HD600, or AKG K7XX/K712, all in the $200-$400 range. Those are its competitors, not $700 headphones.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #7,193 of 15,268

That's why you have to decide by yourself. This is a very good deal in any case.

I'm just scared that I'll run into an issue like the HRM-7's that not only weren't what I want, but were way too harsh.  It's upsetting because even though it's doubtful, the chance I could have hurt my hearing is upsetting, even though I don't think I had them THAT loud, sometimes they were on the loud side.

Quote:
Saying the HE-560s are better, while no doubt true, is not particularly helpful here. Today, they're almost $500 more expensive than the X2s.

No one will doubt the HE-560s are top-notch but at $400-500 more, they're expected to be.

Rather, the X2s should be compared to the Hifiman 400s or Sennheiser HD600, or AKG K7XX/K712, all in the $200-$400 range. Those are its competitors, not $700 headphones.

Yeah, when I saw they were 800$, I was like yeah....  Obviously better...

I was recommended the Original HE400's.  I had a chance to grab them for 300-400$, but didn't jump on it.

They look alright, Idk what they sound like though...

These were recommended a few times, but not that many in the threads.

They sounded very good though...

It just sucks because it's CRUNCH TIME now... :frowning2:.

Spending all this money lately, just want it all to be worth it!

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #7,194 of 15,268

Ugh... See this is what I'm talking about....

Now what should I do.... :frowning2:

With the exception of the HE-400S, which is $300 MSRP, all planar headphones are more expensive than your budget of $300 (as noted in the thread you linked to). The next cheapest planar, the Oppo PM-3, is $400. The HE-560 is even more than that. Since you were saying you don't have a ton of money, it seems to make sense to maximize your dollar, which this sale does. On the other hand, if you really don't have enough, maybe this isn't the right time to go further with this hobby.

On the other hand, realize that you don't necessarily need everything at once. Maybe you could get some less expensive, easier to drive headphones for now, then get a good amp, then upgrade your headphones later, then get a DAC to really bring out the best in your files.

Also, realize that there are no perfect headphones. If there were, we'd all buy those and no one would make anything else. These headphones may or may not work for you, you won't know until you try them. But at this price, it's a good deal.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #7,195 of 15,268
  I'm just scared that I'll run into an issue like the HRM-7's that not only weren't what I want, but were way too harsh.

Well, I gotta say I'm extremely sensitive to harsh treble and X2 end up being one of the least fatiguing headphones I've ever owned.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #7,196 of 15,268
Eurobeat, buy some great and versatile headphones like the X2.  Life is an existential dilemma where choices close off or alter other choices.  Get over it.  Buy them and forget about fringe concerns like balanced cables.  Enjoy the dang headphones.

S.O.G.O.T.P.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #7,197 of 15,268

Didnt' place it yet...

I listened to a few songs that you linked. That Eurobeat music is intense lol!

I tried them on my nicely modded planar T50RP's, on the MT220's (with Brainwavz hybrid memory foam pads that reduces the brightness quite a bit) and on the X1's. I kind of depends on what kind of bass you want. If you want hard hitting fast bass, then some planar magnetic hp's might be the way to go. I personally like bass that isn't quite so hard hitting (especially with music like that), so I enjoyed those songs more with the mt220's and x1.

Personally, I'd just get the X2's for a good price somewhere that you can return them. They will be awesome all rounders and my guess is that you won't want to return them (but if you do, then you can).

Btw, the mt220's with the hybrid pads sound amazing imo (but I'm not necessarily saying they sound better than the X2's which I've never tried).

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #7,198 of 15,268

With the exception of the HE-400S, which is $300 MSRP, all planar headphones are more expensive than your budget of $300 (as noted in the thread you linked to). The next cheapest planar, the Oppo PM-3, is $400. The HE-560 is even more than that. Since you were saying you don't have a ton of money, it seems to make sense to maximize your dollar, which this sale does. On the other hand, if you really don't have enough, maybe this isn't the right time to go further with this hobby.

On the other hand, realize that you don't necessarily need everything at once. Maybe you could get some less expensive, easier to drive headphones for now, then get a good amp, then upgrade your headphones later, then get a DAC to really bring out the best in your files.

Also, realize that there are no perfect headphones. If there were, we'd all buy those and no one would make anything else. These headphones may or may not work for you, you won't know until you try them. But at this price, it's a good deal.

I was recommended the HE400's and the Oppo PM3 as well, but wasn't sure if I should dive into one of those.  I hear the Oppos are very nice! 

It's not that I don't ahve a lot of money, it's just that what's in my bank might not work out for what I want to buy on Amazon right now :p.

I was interested in the X2's, and since the sale came around I wanted to make sure that now would be a good time to jump...

I could get something else too, I'm willing to spend 400$, if it's perfect for me.  I don't mind willing to spend a lot, but it's when I have to return the headphones for being what i don't want (harsh), or them not sounding to my liking that annoys me, because it takes time.

I'm willing to spend the money on good HPs now, an then spend some more for Amp/DACs if need be...

I know there is no "perfect" headphones for everyone, but there should be a best headphone for everyone. :)

Thanks!

Quote:
  Eurobeat, buy some great and versatile headphones like the X2.  Life is an existential dilemma where choices close off or alter other choices.  Get over it.  Buy them and forget about fringe concerns like balanced cables.  Enjoy the dang headphones.

S.O.G.O.T.P.

Okay :frowning2:.  Idc about the balanced cables, just regular cables for my needs. :p

I listened to a few songs that you linked. That Eurobeat music is intense lol!

I tried them on my nicely modded planar T50RP's, on the MT220's (with Brainwavz hybrid memory foam pads that reduces the brightness quite a bit) and on the X1's. I kind of depends on what kind of bass you want. If you want hard hitting fast bass, then some planar magnetic hp's might be the way to go. I personally like bass that isn't quite so hard hitting (especially with music like that), so I enjoyed those songs more with the mt220's and x1.

Personally, I'd just get the X2's for a good price somewhere that you can return them. They will be awesome all rounders and my guess is that you won't want to return them (but if you do, then you can).

Btw, the mt220's with the hybrid pads sound amazing imo (but I'm not necessarily saying they sound better than the X2's which I've never tried).

Yeah Eurobeat goes hard :D.

Like this..... OOOOOH YEAAAAH....

I dont' like crazy bass, but nicely constructed bass that hits well, but not heavy/hard.

So you like the sound with the Yamahas...?  I was thinking of ordering them with these, and returning one, but not too sure if I could return the Yamahas, and don't want to be stuck with them :'(....

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #7,199 of 15,268
I looked into the HE-400's as well. They weren't for me, too much sound shaping and I heard the band/clamp was uncomfortable for long listening periods. I know a lot of people love them though and wish Hifiman would release an update with a similar sound signature. Also, IIRC, the biggest complaint was piercing treble.

The PM-3 is next on my wish list. I'll probably wait for my birthday to get them, two new cans this month alone is more than enough. I understand the frustration of wanting to have ONE pair that does everything you need.

Also, have you looked into USB DAC/Amp combos? They're relatively cheap, many of them can drive a lot of different headphones and have good DAC chips in them. They'd definitely be a good starter to have, especially if most/all the music is coming from your computer anyway. That could save you some money upfront that could be invested in getting the headphones. Examples are the Schiit Fulla, the Dragonfly, several of the various Geek Outs, the FiiO Q1, etc.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #7,200 of 15,268
  So you like the sound with the Yamahas...?  I was thinking of ordering them with these, and returning one, but not too sure if I could return the Yamahas, and don't want to be stuck with them :'(....

Yeah, I love the Yammy's (especially with the hybrid pads), but I also love the X1's (although for some reason I seem to end up listening to closed hp's more). Again, I'd recommending just getting the X2's if they are on sale. From mostly everything I have read they are amazing for the price (and knowing how good the X1's are, I believe it), so there's a good chance you will like them. And if you are not sure after you get them, just return them. Done. After you have thoroughly enjoyed them for a year or two, then you can go through this crazy process all over again (and sell me your X2's for a good price lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back