Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 14, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #7,171 of 15,268
Eurobeat, I know there's a lot of information to assimilate with hifi, and it can be overwhelming. I do a lot of research on purchases as well so I understand the impulse to find the products that feel right, and the anxiety of thinking perhaps you've made the wrong choice.

My suggestion is this: Get the X2. It's well regarded and on sale. Don't worry about the sale, Amazon does this to get people to the site. There's nothing wrong with the headphones.

After ordering the cans, look into amps. Don't go crazy, just get something that has solid reviews and can power the X2.

The fact is, since you're just starting out, you're going to have to get some experience under your belt before you can start to dial in what products will be best for you. And the best way to do that is to get some gear and start listening for yourself. Right now you're in information overload mode, and you're second guessing every decision.

These are good headphones. Give them a try.

Thanks.  This is my 2nd pair of headphones, the first being the Pioneer HRM-7's, which were very harsh, but it could have been defective sicne it seemed mine was returned, and was missing a part.

I also ahve a Logitech G35 headset that I really liked, and made me dive into Head-Fi :)

I guess I'll just grab it and see how it goes... :)
  Tubes r great just not for low impedance (dynamic driver) headphones. Well maybe some hybrid or amps with output transformers.

I hear the Aune matches up well, even though it's a high impedance device...

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #7,172 of 15,268

Thanks.  This is my 2nd pair of headphones, the first being the Pioneer HRM-7's, which were very harsh, but it could have been defective sicne it seemed mine was returned, and was missing a part.

I also ahve a Logitech G35 headset that I really liked, and made me dive into Head-Fi :)

I guess I'll just grab it and see how it goes... :)

I know how you feel. Although I've loved music my whole life, I've spent a long time ignorant of what a real hifi system is, and the sort of gains in sound one can acquire. Now I feel like a kid in a candy shop, but since I can't buy every piece of gear that catches my fancy, I have to be selective. I think I've been pretty lucky so far that I've gotten some well regarded pieces, and now I'm actively researching before making any other purchases.

As I said, the X2 wasn't on my radar, but this sale seems too good to pass up, especially since I can always return it if I don't like it.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #7,173 of 15,268

I know how you feel. Although I've loved music my whole life, I've spent a long time ignorant of what a real hifi system is, and the sort of gains in sound one can acquire. Now I feel like a kid in a candy shop, but since I can't buy every piece of gear that catches my fancy, I have to be selective. I think I've been pretty lucky so far that I've gotten some well regarded pieces, and now I'm actively researching before making any other purchases.

As I said, the X2 wasn't on my radar, but this sale seems too good to pass up, especially since I can always return it if I don't like it.

Yeah... I was originally looking at the Yamaha MTM220's, but there wasn't anywhere I could return them due to them being discontinued and last stock is what's on sites now...

I also missed out on one for 100$, because I was a bit indesicive, and I was looking to see about replacement plans in my checkout when I got screwed on it :frowning2:.

The HRM-7's had a nice soundstage, but really bright...  Apaprently The Yamahas were moreso, so Idk....  Hard to say.

I'm going to see how these go though...

I think I have everything Ineed to checkout...  Scared :frowning2:.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #7,174 of 15,268

hahha so you echo what I said, and I agree with what you said about the one guy repeating what the other guy says...

They are definitely elitist, but look down on "Audiophiles..."  Do you see him using a sound card as a coaster?  He was using an old GPU in the video I saw... What is that about lol!  The neg reviews speak for themselves...

I also heard them talking about the balanced cables, and being snotty about them :p.

They are probably good guys irl though :).

You say they are right, but what are they right on, besides cables...? :p

Things right:

1) Tubes do have higher levels of distortion than solid state - what he does not state here is the widely varying topolgies and implementations can make this a good or bad thing.  He only presents it in a negative light.  Within the same amplifier tubes can have a noticeable effect (not night and day) on the sound, let alone comparing an OTL to a hybrid.  Too much generalization

2) Bit-depth and sampling frequency - this old quagmire... I personally like hi-res content, a lot of it has been thoroughly remastered and genuinely improved (NOT ALL) from older disc based content.  Some of that never makes it on to disc based or 16/44.1 media at all.  Depending on what people are using to EQ and what settings they are changing it can also benefit them as this process often results in a reduction of bit-depth and available dynamic range.  Starting out higher will allow greater alterations before side effects are noticed.  Narrow view, not a topic that can be accurately represented in a few off-hand remarks.  I like to start off with the cleanest source material that is closest to the master recording... sue me! 

3) Balanced vs single-ended headphone connection.  This is most certainly used by some companies as a marketing gimmick, others genuinely benefit from it.  The difference again lies in other details within the implementation.  A truly balanced drive amp will never combine the signals and often yields a significant boost in output level.  This is due to the fact that a balanced amp will typically have to divide and sum the two balanced channels to get a one single-ended HP out.  In this scenario you are never fully tapping into what your amp has to offer, this id most relevant for hard to drive cans.  If the headphones are being used in an extremely noisy (electrically) environment some benefit can also be found in the inherent noise rejection of a balanced system.  They have their place but certainly aren't needed by all rigs.

In the end people should buy what helps them enjoy the music more... for some that's a pair of Xiaomi Pistons and a zip, others have hoarded a New Honda Civic's worth of electronics.

biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #7,175 of 15,268
I bought a headphone holder that attaches to my desk, but I realized I could use my Sound Card's I/O box for my HPs...

The issue is that some wood seems to have gotten onto the box which has casued it to be discolored a little, so I wanted something I could put over it to lay my headpohnes on.

I figured a cloth, but then I thought what about a piece of shag rug or something fancy.. a tiny piece to coat the top..

Idk if there is a specific word for what I'm looking for, but would be nice...  Issue is there's vents on it, but both sides have the vents....

Quote:
  Things right:

1) Tubes do have higher levels of distortion than solid state - what he does not state here is the widely varying topolgies and implementations can make this a good or bad thing.  He only presents it in a negative light.  Within the same amplifier tubes can have a noticeable effect (not night and day) on the sound, let alone comparing an OTL to a hybrid.  Too much generalization

2) Bit-depth and sampling frequency - this old quagmire... I personally like hi-res content, a lot of it has been thoroughly remastered and genuinely improved (NOT ALL) from older disc based content.  Some of that never makes it on to disc based or 16/44.1 media at all.  Depending on what people are using to EQ and what settings they are changing it can also benefit them as this process often results in a reduction of bit-depth and available dynamic range.  Starting out higher will allow greater alterations before side effects are noticed.  Narrow view, not a topic that can be accurately represented in a few off-hand remarks.  I like to start off with the cleanest source material that is closest to the master recording... sue me! 

3) Balanced vs single-ended headphone connection.  This is most certainly used by some companies as a marketing gimmick, others genuinely benefit from it.  The difference again lies in other details within the implementation.  A truly balanced drive amp will never combine the signals and often yields a significant boost in output level.  This is due to the fact that a balanced amp will typically have to divide and sum the two balanced channels to get a one single-ended HP out.  In this scenario you are never fully tapping into what your amp has to offer, this id most relevant for hard to drive cans.  If the headphones are being used in an extremely noisy (electrically) environment some benefit can also be found in the inherent noise rejection of a balanced system.  They have their place but certainly aren't needed by all rigs.

In the end people should buy what helps them enjoy the music more... for some that's a pair of Xiaomi Pistons and a zip, others have hoarded a New Honda Civic's worth of electronics.

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info!

I just don't want noise going into my HPs and such, as what people here were commenting on...

I got the VMODA Cable, but not too sure if that's good enough, or if I should seek out another one?

I got the cable and the hps, and some other goodies, so I guess I'll checkout...?

Just not sure if there is anything else I need....

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #7,176 of 15,268

Thanks for the info!

I just don't want noise going into my HPs and such, as what people here were commenting on...

I got the VMODA Cable, but not too sure if that's good enough, or if I should seek out another one?

I got the cable and the hps, and some other goodies, so I guess I'll checkout...?

Just not sure if there is anything else I need....

Thanks!

You should be good... enjoy the new gear!

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #7,177 of 15,268
I found something to use...

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Australian-Sheepskin-Natural-Approx/dp/B0155IZJ9S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Am I horrible for this? :p

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #7,180 of 15,268
  You should be good... enjoy the new gear!

Thanks :).  Now I gotta see about these pads...  Any other pads that are recommended?  i believe I heard people recommending the HRM5 pads?

Quote:
You can buy it and always sell on the classifieds in the unlikely event you don't like them at a nominal loss.

If the sound signature sounds appealing to you, I would go for it.

What's the sound signature of it? :).

As I mentioned before I like music that is engaging, exciting, fun, energetic, and a little brightness, but not too bright that it's harsh.

Maybe those words mean more to people that are Audiophiles, but I'm using them as they make sense to me.

I like music that is faster paced, that has a lot of energy to it.  A lot of the Eurobeat songs are based on Cars and racing, so they have a face beat, heart/adrenaline pumping.

Here's a thread with a lot of songs I like http://www.head-fi.org/t/785486/looking-for-a-great-pair-headphones-for-fast-music-details-inside

Don't worry about balanced cables for now. Most rigs are single-ended, most headphone reviews are done single-ended, and good gear will sound good single-ended. It's the default state of hifi.

Not worried about them, just curious if there was a better cable that the VModa out there that Is hould look at, but I guess for 13$ I'll see what's up with it :).

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #7,183 of 15,268

What's the sound signature of it? :).

As I mentioned before I like music that is engaging, exciting, fun, energetic, and a little brightness, but not too bright that it's harsh.

Maybe those words mean more to people that are Audiophiles, but I'm using them as they make sense to me.

I like music that is faster paced, that has a lot of energy to it.  A lot of the Eurobeat songs are based on Cars and racing, so they have a face beat, heart/adrenaline pumping.

Here's a thread with a lot of songs I like http://www.head-fi.org/t/785486/looking-for-a-great-pair-headphones-for-fast-music-details-inside

Gave it a quick listen and this type of music to me sounds better on my HE 560 then on X2 (but most things do) IMO this music will play better on planar headphones.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #7,184 of 15,268
  Gave it a quick listen and this type of music to me sounds better on my HE 560 then on X2 (but most things do) IMO this music will play better on planar headphones.

Ugh... See this is what I'm talking about....

Now what should I do.... :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back