Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 4, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #5,521 of 15,268

You can't really be happy unless you spend thousands of dollars on gear...

But seriously, I have the Schiit M/M2 stack, and a Fiio E07K. I can't really tell the difference between those and my laptop's headphone out (Asus UX305 with "audio by ICEPower") using the X2. I haven't seriously tried to either, but nothing obvious. Fulla or some Fiio DAC/amp may make a difference if your computer's audio is particularly crappy.

The question is always, do you want to enjoy music, listen to gear, or acquire status items. Nothing wrong with any of these goals, you have to decide for yourself.

Valid points, but I was just addressing him specifically, I'm just assuming he's new to this from the way he worded his post, he can get a much better experience from spending more on headphones, than dumping a whole bunch of money on DACs and Amps.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #5,523 of 15,268

Valid points, but I was just addressing him specifically, I'm just assuming he's new to this from the way he worded his post, he can get a much better experience from spending more on headphones, than dumping a whole bunch of money on DACs and Amps.

I absolutely agree - I was trying to reinforce your point. My snark may have gotten away from me. Oftentimes when somebody asks for amp/dac recommendations for HD598 or X2 etc, people jump in with expensive tubes etc. 

Would be nice if there was a "standard", inexpensive, easily found neutral amp/dac for modern low impedance phones that people could audition easily. I guess various Fiios might fit the bill. If that doesn't sound better than computer audio out, nothing will.

I am not that experienced with headphones myself, but I would always recommend starting with a decent, neutral  solid state amp. The phones themselves are 90% of the total sound signature if the amp can drive them at all. First learn to listen with an uncolored chain and get used to your phones' presentation. It's a skill. Later  start figuring out what you like that they don't offer. Avoid spending a lot of money upfront. IMHO of course.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #5,524 of 15,268
Neutral, low-cost, powerful? Check, check, check: Objective 2.

Now,if you're talking portable options I'm thrilled with my NX1 but I don't know how well it would drive my X2s or HD600s. (Why bother testing that when they never leave the house and my O2 is always available?)

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #5,526 of 15,268

I don't have experience with O2, but yes. In the same ballpark, Schiit Magni/Modi is $200-300 depending on options.

But if we don't want to pay that much, I'd go with Schiit Fulla (which didn't exist when I got my Fiio E07K). E07K does have a battery so it's better on the go. Not that I would recommend using X2 on the go (apart from being open, it may cause 911 calls about a Cybermen invasion).

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #5,527 of 15,268
  hello,
whats the best way to improve the X2's, if a get a 100€ dac without amp it will improve on my soundcard? do i need a amp?
at max i want to spend 250€ what are my options?

the schiit stack or the o2 dac amp are good options or a just a dac?

thanks

I have a modi/magni schiit stack powering my X2.  Honestly you really don't need that much power, at most it just adds a different color to the sound.

What you want is something simple that can clean up the audio from your computer.  Something like the Schiit Fulla or Fiio e10k would be perfect for you and will be plenty for the X2.  I've owned an e10k in the past for my HD595 and really enjoyed it.  Though having a Schiit stack now, I would highly recommend Schiit products as well.  

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #5,529 of 15,268
I'll throw in my 2¢  I'm pretty much blown away with what the Schiit Vali does to my X2's. I'll admit tho, all I'm comparing it to is a Magni an a Bellari HA540 that has been tube rolled.  I haven't ask my buddy to borrow his Woo WA2  again, but from memory, I'm pretty sure I'd still prefer the Vali. Between the three I have, the Vali is the clear winner.  It's not even close.

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #5,530 of 15,268
You can't really be happy unless you spend thousands of dollars on gear...

But seriously, I have the Schiit M/M2 stack, and a Fiio E07K. I can't really tell the difference between those and my laptop's headphone out (Asus UX305 with "audio by ICEPower") using the X2. I haven't seriously tried to either, but nothing obvious. Fulla or some Fiio DAC/amp may make a difference if your computer's audio is particularly crappy.

The question is always, do you want to enjoy music, listen to gear, or acquire status items. Nothing wrong with any of these goals, you have to decide for yourself.

I'm not that much surprised, you guys don't see much of a difference (if any) with fiio stack.

Nothing against fiio, but one should have really crappy audio to notice an improvement.

Got e17/e09k stack (actually I still have it but don't use it anymore) and I also saw no difference with my computer headphone out.

Moreover, in comparison to my samsung galaxy note 4 exynos, fiio had noticeably narrower soundstage and more "in your face" presentation - both with fidelio X2, akg k550 and iems (yamaha eph 100, rock it 50).

One the other hand, i can only recommend this set up - exynos note 4 with fidelio x2. It sounds this good, that it has become my new "small" reference rig.

As for "bigger" (computer) rig, x2 sound great with rlabs concero hp. At least level up from note 4 - but it took me some time to set it up properly (i even lost my hope, that although price difference, it will ever sound better than note 4).

Aug 6, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #5,531 of 15,268

Now,if you're talking portable options I'm thrilled with my NX1 but I don't know how well it would drive my X2s or HD600s. (Why bother testing that when they never leave the house and my O2 is always available?)
Why bother?
Because I have ordered both X2 and NX1, but received none yet. :frowning2:
Some thoughts on the combo would certainly ease the pain! :wink:

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #5,532 of 15,268
Why bother?

Quote from @Baycode in the other thread:

"NX1 didn't add anything to the sound of X2 ( IMO). I also prefer tube amps over the SS for X2 (YMMW).

If you have Sansa Fuze you're lucky because it has a very special synergy with X2. You wont need an amp with this pairing. My Fuze is rockboxed if it makes sense... IMo, Fuze is one of the greatest DAP's when paired directly with X2. Dont get me wrong, normally I dont prefer to use Fuze as a DAP these days but sonething is very special between the two wink.gif

I never use NX1 for X2, with none of my sources...

Hope this helps.

Cheers wink.gif"

Probably not what you were looking for but the only impression on the pairing ive seen.

Ive got both myself but I won't be able to test until next week. Usually me and @Baycode hear things very similar so I've got no reason to doubt his conclusion.

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #5,533 of 15,268
Why bother?

Quote from @Baycode in the other thread:

"NX1 didn't add anything to the sound of X2 ( IMO). I also prefer tube amps over the SS for X2 (YMMW).

If you have Sansa Fuze you're lucky because it has a very special synergy with X2. You wont need an amp with this pairing. My Fuze is rockboxed if it makes sense... IMo, Fuze is one of the greatest DAP's when paired directly with X2. Dont get me wrong, normally I dont prefer to use Fuze as a DAP these days but sonething is very special between the two wink.gif

I never use NX1 for X2, with none of my sources...

Hope this helps.

Cheers wink.gif"

Probably not what you were looking for but the only impression on the pairing ive seen.

Ive got both myself but I won't be able to test until next week. Usually me and @Baycode hear things very similar so I've got no reason to doubt his conclusion.
Thanks a lot.
I was actually the one posing the question in the other thread. And yes, it did help me a lot.

Topping NX1 should be a technically perfect amp to drive sensitive headphones such as the X2. Baycode's assessment confirmed this - nothing is added to the sound, as it should be.

His reply also made me look in to buying a tube buffer, against my sense of reason, just to try it out. This is all for fun, so why not!

I'm actually just trying to kill time, waiting for my new gear. Reading other people's opinions is always great fun. I'd love to hear yours as well, if you can find the time! :)

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #5,534 of 15,268
Thanks a lot.
I was actually the one posing the question in the other thread. And yes, it did help me a lot.

Topping NX1 should be a technically perfect amp to drive sensitive headphones such as the X2. Baycode's assessment confirmed this - nothing is added to the sound, as it should be.

His reply also made me look in to buying a tube buffer, against my sense of reason, just to try it out. This is all for fun, so why not!

I'm actually just trying to kill time, waiting for my new gear. Reading other people's opinions is always great fun. I'd love to hear yours as well, if you can find the time! :)

But ofcourse I should have noticed :)

Anyway it's the only impression I've seen so far.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #5,535 of 15,268

(I'm just thinking out loud here).
The thing is since I discovered how much the sound can be tweaked with only post-processing sound effects ... 2 products may use the same (cheap or not) or similar hardware but output a completely different sound.

So, I won't talk about durability, but for sound quality, 2 products may use almost same hardware and only cost the same $30 to manufacture, one is selling for $100 the other for $350 (and this one got some minor tweak that change the sound a lot).

Is the $350 product sound "better" ? Yes it can.
Is it worth the price ? Well if it "does" sound better, so it's what you wanted, right ? :)

Anyway, it's complicated, and even more that some of us can't easily try products before buying, so that make that even more complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back