Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 8, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #4,921 of 15,268
  scoopted out 5-7 khz? sounds like my kind of headphone.  id love a pair of these since im sensitive to that frequency.

Most people are, which probably speaks to the tuning by ear approach. Also, there's the fact that it's open so there will be less pressure buildup on your ear. I even like the long, braided, lightweight cable with the included cable clip.

I do a lot of critical music mixing, so I'll swap the X2 for my reference monitor-tuned headphones during critical mixdown (the amazing MrSpeakers Alpha Prime) so that I don't accidentally accentuate the 5-7khz region. But for most other purposes, it's the X2.

I'm looking forward to an X3 where they could control the bass resonance in the 100-200Hz a bit more and smooth out the highs above 10khz. Maybe they can do this by reducing the diaphragm weight and doing some serious earpad tuning like the Audio Zenith PMx2. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #4,922 of 15,268
I bought these after I sold my X1's and almost instantly started missing them. I like the look better (all black vs black and brown), the awesome comfort is the same with the added bonus of replaceable earpads, the sound is a bit more precise, with a little less bass (but clearer). All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #4,924 of 15,268
I personally love the X2, but not for the usual reasons. I think it's the perfect headphone for people concerned about tinnitus.

First off, the frequency response is purposefully scooped in the "harsh" region at 5-7kHz for fatigue-free listening (ahem, HD800). I also find that as I lower the volume, the accentuation of the bass becomes more neutral in relation to the mids and highs. This encourages appropriate listening levels. Finally, the gel driver has none of the ringing artifacts (ahem, DT880) that don't show up as easily during sine sweep measurements but will kill your ears.

Because I care about my long term hearing more than squeezing out that last 2% of audio quality, these have become my main cans. Super comfy and affordable doesn't hurt either.

Thats what i noticed at first listening, that is was made to not fatigue. Sometimes i even felt, it had lack of volume, but after some mental or not burn in, i found it ok. And of course good to not damage your ears.
:wink:

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #4,925 of 15,268
  I personally love the X2, but not for the usual reasons. I think it's the perfect headphone for people concerned about tinnitus.

First off, the frequency response is purposefully scooped in the "harsh" region at 5-7kHz for fatigue-free listening (ahem, HD800). I also find that as I lower the volume, the accentuation of the bass becomes more neutral in relation to the mids and highs. This encourages appropriate listening levels. Finally, the gel driver has none of the ringing artifacts (ahem, DT880) that don't show up as easily during sine sweep measurements but will kill your ears.

Because I care about my long term hearing more than squeezing out that last 2% of audio quality, these have become my main cans. Super comfy and affordable doesn't hurt either.

100% agree, ideal for mild tinnitus folks like me
biggrin.gif
(mild since I listen to the X2)

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #4,926 of 15,268
Just picked these up used, and loving them so far. First thing I notice though, is it felt like the pads were on backwards. The user that sold them to me had clipped off the little pegs that made you put them on correctly already, so I just switched sides. I'm much more comfy and happy with them that way. Anyone else have this experience? 

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #4,927 of 15,268
  Just picked these up used, and loving them so far. First thing I notice though, is it felt like the pads were on backwards. The user that sold them to me had clipped off the little pegs that made you put them on correctly already, so I just switched sides. I'm much more comfy and happy with them that way. Anyone else have this experience? 

They're intentionally chopped off by Philips. I have no official statement on that, but my guess they had some kind of production issue, and chopping off the align pin must have been the best solution to rectify whatever issue it was. I've had two pairs with the same thing, and seen another two in reviews.

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #4,928 of 15,268
Good choice- I like the X2 more than the K7XX. The build quality of the X2 makes it difficult to ever go back to predominantly plastic headphones (especially if they're priced the same as the X series).

The Fidelio line has really set a new standard for build quality. I think many of Philips' competitors will struggle to price their products competitively if they ever decide to use more metal or leather in their design.

Based on the current flagship market, the X1 & X2 feel like they should cost $700+

That's not even taking into consideration how great they sound as well..

Well, X2 are indeed a good pair of cans but saying they should be priced at 700$ is a bit odd to me, when we can buy HD600/HD650 for 250-300$ which aren't in the same league as X2..But better.
Imo, of course

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #4,930 of 15,268
Well, X2 are indeed a good pair of cans but saying they should be priced at 700$ is a bit odd to me, when we can buy HD600/HD650 for 250-300$ which aren't in the same league as X2..But better.
Imo, of course

I was referring to how the X1 & X2 feel, i.e. build quality.

The feel of the aluminum, steel and leather puts them far beyond other headphones in the same price bracket.

I believe it's safe to say that the build quality of the X-series beats the feel of the HD600/650 - they have always felt cheap and flimsy to me.

Also, my opinion

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #4,931 of 15,268
Guys,
I am wondering between the X2 and the NAD HP50's for studio mixing/mastering.
Which do you think will better suit this purpose? I know that it is a bit apples vs oranges - open vs sealed but sound leakage doesn't matter.

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #4,932 of 15,268
Guys,
I am wondering between the X2 and the NAD HP50's for studio mixing/mastering.
Which do you think will better suit this purpose? I know that it is a bit apples vs oranges - open vs sealed but sound leakage doesn't matter.

Personally, I would much rather mix with the NADs, they are definitely flatter and less colored, and have a somewhat similar sound to the Focal Spirit Pros, which are excellent mixing cans. The only thing that bothers me about them is their somewhat over-pronounced and unrealistic transients, I mean they are fun as hell to listen to, but not very realistic for mixing purposes. The other problem is whether or not you can stand wearing them for long mixing sessions as their comfort can be an issue, as well as being warm (temperature) as they are closed. I can't recommend them enough though as a great closed option, if you can handle the design.

If you wanted something open for studio use, I would more consider something like an AKG, as their overemphasis of details can help reveal problems with your mix, but I would also want something else to use as a more realistic reference to speakers. Personally, I would mix with no less than 2 sets of cans to have a variety of environments to judge your mix by, but if you can only afford one, make sure their comfort works for you first, and then pick something that most represents the sound signature you are looking for. The NADs have the best sig out of those for that purpose, IMO. The HD600/650 are worth considering as well.

FYI, I have a buddy that mixes stuff for imagine dragons, and he uses the combo of the Focals and AKG K702, as well as studio monitors. I would warn against the Focals though because they crack and fall apart.

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #4,933 of 15,268
Personally, I would much rather mix with the NADs, they are definitely flatter and less colored, and have a somewhat similar sound to the Focal Spirit Pros, which are excellent mixing cans. The only thing that bothers me about them is their somewhat over-pronounced and unrealistic transients, I mean they are fun as hell to listen to, but not very realistic for mixing purposes. The other problem is whether or not you can stand wearing them for long mixing sessions as their comfort can be an issue, as well as being warm (temperature) as they are closed. I can't recommend them enough though as a great closed option, if you can handle the design.

If you wanted something open for studio use, I would more consider something like an AKG, as their overemphasis of details can help reveal problems with your mix, but I would also want something else to use as a more realistic reference to speakers. Personally, I would mix with no less than 2 sets of cans to have a variety of environments to judge your mix by, but if you can only afford one, make sure their comfort works for you first, and then pick something that most represents the sound signature you are looking for. The NADs have the best sig out of those for that purpose, IMO. The HD600/650 are worth considering as well.

FYI, I have a buddy that mixes stuff for imagine dragons, and he uses the combo of the Focals and AKG K702, as well as studio monitors. I would warn against the Focals though because they crack and fall apart.

I own the X2 and the HD600, I would recommend against the X2 for mixing purposes because it isn't really a neutral headphone, plus the slightly recessed midrange masks a some midrange details that you would hear on something like the HD600.

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #4,934 of 15,268
Im thinking about joining the X2 club again... Since i sold my pair 2 months ago i seem to want to listen to them again. Dammit.

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #4,935 of 15,268
  Im thinking about joining the X2 club again... Since i sold my pair 2 months ago i seem to want to listen to them again. Dammit.

Hey, they are also $50 cheaper than 2 months ago, so at least it's a good time to get another pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back