Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 3, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,471 of 15,268
  I think Headfonia review is disappointing. It's been a long time (2 months?) since they got the HP, I was expecting a more thorough and detailed review. It's like your standard user review on Head-Fi. Maybe I'm expecting too much from people who are just hobbyists and not journalists.

I agree but I think they pride themselves in that. "Hobbyists that have heard more gear than the average." They have this thing against pure objectivity. I respect them though. Most of their reviews are spot on when I hear the gear myself even if I hear the gear prior to reading a review from them.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #1,472 of 15,268
I have zero issuies with the X2 treble. Other than it being a tad grainy at times.

I actually kind of enjoy the graininess. :) It reminds me of the sound of vintage hifi equipment. Most modern flagships are made with 100% clear, crisp sound in mind which is great in a way, but I believe too much of this takes the soul away from music resulting in a cold, clinical sound I just can't enjoy.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,473 of 15,268

I agree but I think they pride themselves in that. "Hobbyists that have heard more gear than the average." They have this thing against pure objectivity. I respect them though. Most of their reviews are spot on when I hear the gear myself even if I hear the gear prior to reading a review from them.

I enjoy Tyll's reviews more. He blends hobbyism and technical audio journalism and writes great reviews. But each to his own.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #1,474 of 15,268
I enjoy Tyll's reviews more. He blends hobbyism and technical audio journalism and writes great reviews. But each to his own.

I agree but I still read both :grinning:

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #1,475 of 15,268

Who doesn't love Tyll? The man makes very few mistakes, and is a god - if not high priest of this hobby land of ours. If you want Anandtech-style reviews, read Cymbacavum, or hit up headfi. That's where that thing belongs. If you want what review blogs deliver, well... that's what you'll get. BTW, these are awesome.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,477 of 15,268
are they still fun and capable of delivering immersion like the X1?

i can´t listen to then before buy can only go by reviews.
the reviews for my interpretation say that the X2 are like new headphones and not and upgrade
i was interested in the X1 sound signature those this still keep is essence?

i want only one headphone for music/movies/games that can be driven from the source is this the right one to go for 250€ or the X1 still does the job or there other path i should been looking? 

thanks

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,478 of 15,268
  the reviews for my interpretation say that the X2 are like new headphones and not and upgrade

i would definitely say they are an upgrade from the x1, they are tuned a little different i think but i also perceive that as an upgrade...much more mature sound, more well rounded.

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,480 of 15,268

I've got to say this: there is no such thing as pure objectivity, not in objective-leaning subjects like optics, and certainly not in audio. Never, in fact in the latter. But you try to be as objective as possible. All that gushing I did (embarrassed by it, but hey) about the X2 was real. But then I was asked only to talk about sound. I could go off on a number of things.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #1,481 of 15,268
  Has anyone's jaw line slightly hurt from this? Pressure? I don't know the cause but I'm gonna stretch it for an hour or so.
I just got it today, sounds amazing. I feel as if the huge pads are causing pressure over my jawline  because of how big it is lol. Will report later.

OMG.  I thought I was going crazy!  I've had my X2s since Monday and within 20 or 30 minutes of wearing them, I can feel the muscles just in front of and slightly below my ears getting sore.  I was really wondering if I was imagining this so in some way, I'm relieved to hear that it's not just me.  I think I'll try stretching the headband just a tiny bit and see if that helps.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,482 of 15,268
OMG.  I thought I was going crazy!  I've had my X2s since Monday and within 20 or 30 minutes of wearing them, I can feel the muscles just in front of and slightly below my ears getting sore.  I was really wondering if I was imagining this so in some way, I'm relieved to hear that it's not just me.  I think I'll try stretching the headband just a tiny bit and see if that helps.

Well I have stretched them at the headband part and it has less pressure. I can only use them for 2-3 hours because that's the only time I get home before I sleep. They don't hurt that much, rather at all, but its the slight pressure. I'll be using them this weekend as a stress test because I game relatively long (around 7-8 hours) and it will be a good test for it. I don't think you should dismiss it immediately because the other fella felt the same but after some time it became perfect for him. I'm gonna use it for the longest I can (amazon return, 30 days)and I pray that it becomes perfect. I had maddogs and they hurt my jawline unfortunately...

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #1,483 of 15,268
re: stretching, I was finding the clamping just a tad tight, so I bent them out very slightly just above the cups.  Definitely helped.  I'd go about it a little at a time, wear them for a few minutes, then do more, as needed.  A certain amount of clamp is essential for a good seal, but there's definitely no need for achy jaws.  Given that the cups don't swivel like the HE-560s, it's nice to have the X2s a little looser.

On a couple other notes, I finally got the plugs to finish my three-strand braided cable, and did a minor pad mod that gives a little more room inside (a simple attachment underneath), which also might improve the seal of pads to cups.  Definitely didn't affect the sound in a negative way.  I'll post some photos tomorrow.

For $300, I'm finding these to be really nice all-rounders.  Not at the HE-560s level, of course, but better than the Q701s in a general use sense.  The Q701s do some genres better, but for rock, I'm definitely diggin' the X2s.  I need to do some kind of comparison with the HE-500s... eventually.

beerchug.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #1,485 of 15,268
Where headphonia mentioned the HD650, I agree they do look a lot better on the head that the X2. Look into the mirror whilst wearing the X2! lol
beyersmile.png

The HD650 are an easier listen and would be better for whilst doing some work as they have a more cosy and comforting sound than the X2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back