Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 2, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,441 of 15,268
The mids on the X2 are neither forward or recessed. They're pretty much on the neutral line for the most part. People who say it has recessed mids are either used to forward mid sounding headphones, or instantly calling them recessed because the bass is full.

All in all, the X2 is a neutrally toned headphone. Not neutral in that its curve is perfectly straight, but that tonal quality is neither too warm nor too bright. Its pretty much down the middle. Depending on the track, it can either sound warm or bright.

I don't need to test these for too long to say they are going to be a huge hit if enough people get their hands on them.

Those looking for an all purpose headphone, look no further.

MLE, did the X2 resolve your mid-bass headache issue or is it too early to tell?

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #1,443 of 15,268
I tested the headphone by downmixing channels to mono in Foobar. I tested it against HD 650 and TH600 (borrowed from a friend). I did not notice a channel imbalance, at least no more than those other two. Wider soundstage of X2 may also be the reason I thought so as HD650s have a quite narrow soundstage. The first time I thought I noticed it was probably due to poor mastering (or mastering with only loudspeakers in mind). 

I'm probably going to get rid of all my headphones and just keep X2 and AKG Y40 (for portability). 

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #1,444 of 15,268
The mids on the X2 are neither forward or recessed. They're pretty much on the neutral line for the most part. People who say it has recessed mids are either used to forward mid sounding headphones, or instantly calling them recessed because the bass is full.

All in all, the X2 is a neutrally toned headphone. Not neutral in that its curve is perfectly straight, but that tonal quality is neither too warm nor too bright. Its pretty much down the middle. Depending on the track, it can either sound warm or bright.

I don't need to test these for too long to say they are going to be a huge hit if enough people get their hands on them.

Those looking for an all purpose headphone, look no further.

Yeah, mids are great.  I think I'm more sensitive to the dip in the 5-7k range that's showing up on the innerfidelity tests for the X2. It seems I've had the same feelings/observations regarding the Sennheiser HD650's.  The charts have a somewhat similar reduction in response in this area. I'm still enjoying the X2's-it does many things just right. This anomaly I'm more sensitive to isn't apparent much of the time. Maybe it's my medication...:wink:

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,445 of 15,268
Just joined Head-Fi.  Also, just received my X2's yesterday.  I've had the original Grado SR225s (recabled by Grado) for about 10 years now and finally decided to upgrade.  I also have Sennheiser PX-100s, Denon AH-C360s, iGrados and some Apple In-Ears (gift from work).  Anyway, I can unequivocally state that the only headphones I will be listening to at home now are the X2s.  Everything is just bigger and better and deeper with them.  Granted, the Grados have a pretty sweet midrange but when you take everything as a whole the X2s are just better in every way.  So if any 225 owners are on the fence I would say take the plunge.  I'm running ALAC files from a laptop into a HiFiMAN Express HM-101 DAC into an Audioquest Evergreen cable into a Little Dot 1+ solid state / tube (Sylvania) hybrid amp and I'm a very happy camper.  This is my first post on Head-Fi.  Hello everyone.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,448 of 15,268
Urgh, I am starting to consider these for those times... But I don't really need them... I'll wait a bit, maybe there'll be some in the classifieds 
popcorn.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #1,449 of 15,268
Urgh, I am starting to consider these for those times... But I don't really need them... I'll wait a bit, maybe there'll be some in the classifieds :popcorn:

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,452 of 15,268
His X1 is on my head now, literally 
biggrin.gif
 And I´m uber happy with them (with my setup).

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,453 of 15,268
I wonder whether I should give the X2 a try.

I had the X1 a short while ago but it had to go because it had just a bit too much bass and songs sounded darker than usual with some treble sparkle missing. Also I found that the X1 lacked a bit in speed and aggressiveness, songs tended to sound rather laid back.

I've since switched to a Denon AH D600 which has good and deep bass response, slightly less bass than X1, and it has more treble and is a bit "faster" and also does not make songs sound dark as the X1.

Has the X2 been improved to give it a try?

I'm also considering getting a used pair of Denon AH D2000 headphones to see if those improve on the D600.

Has anyone listened to one of the Denons D600/D2000/D5000/D7000 and can compare the sound to the X2?

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #1,454 of 15,268
Just joined Head-Fi.  Also, just received my X2's yesterday.  I've had the original Grado SR225s (recabled by Grado) for about 10 years now and finally decided to upgrade.  I also have Sennheiser PX-100s, Denon AH-C360s, iGrados and some Apple In-Ears (gift from work).  Anyway, I can unequivocally state that the only headphones I will be listening to at home now are the X2s.  Everything is just bigger and better and deeper with them.  Granted, the Grados have a pretty sweet midrange but when you take everything as a whole the X2s are just better in every way.  So if any 225 owners are on the fence I would say take the plunge.  I'm running ALAC files from a laptop into a HiFiMAN Express HM-101 DAC into an Audioquest Evergreen cable into a Little Dot 1+ solid state / tube (Sylvania) hybrid amp and I'm a very happy camper.  This is my first post on Head-Fi.  Hello everyone.

Welcome to HF!

:wink:

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,455 of 15,268
Has anyone's jaw line slightly hurt from this? Pressure? I don't know the cause but I'm gonna stretch it for an hour or so.
I just got it today, sounds amazing. I feel as if the huge pads are causing pressure over my jawline  because of how big it is lol. Will report later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back