Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #1,096 of 15,268
  I have listened to my fidelio X2 for 2 days now. I am paring them with a Fiio e10k. I get light headaches and it's maybe because the highs are to bright and I get frequency sensitive. 
So I plugged the headphones directly into my onboard sound card and the highs got less harsh and the bass a bit tigher but lost a bit of soundstage and separation, of course the e10k is better than my onboard sound card but it accentuates the highs too much.

Is it because I am still burning them and after many hours of burn in the highs will dim down and the bass tighten or is it the Fiio e10k that brings the highs to much for my ears?

If anyone had the same issues with the x2 or a similar pair of headphones are there any other DAC/AMP in the price of 100pounds(I'm from UK) that would complement the headphones better than my fiio e10k? Thank you guys.

A Fiio E07K or E17 may be worth trying out.  Both are pretty good DAC/Amp combos and allow you to digitally adjust treble and bass.  With those you could tone down the treble a bit on the X2 if it's bugging you.

Edit: E17 is known to be a bit brighter and is more expensive than the E07K so I'm now limiting my suggestion to the E07K.  :)

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #1,097 of 15,268
A Fiio E07K or E17 may be worth trying out.  Both are pretty good DAC/Amp combos and allow you to digitally adjust treble and bass.  With those you could tone down the treble a bit on the X2 if it's bugging you.

Edit: E17 is known to be a bit brighter and is more expensive than the E07K so I'm now limiting my suggestion to the E07K.  :)

THANKS. I recently won a Aune T1 Mk2 for 107 pounds and im returning my Fiio due to some issues with the volume knob making noise when moved and some pops and cracks in sound manly in the high notes. It makes my fidelio x2 sound sometimes like cheap a** HPs. Anyway, I can hear that something is not fully right with my E10K AND X2 paring. I can't explain it its more of a acoustic signature that my ears don't fully enjoy. I'm also experimenting, trying different dac/Amp.

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #1,098 of 15,268

Do you think my Audiolab M-DAC is lacking ? Yes it's not the ultimate in fidelity but it is highly rated and understandably so.

I never thought that a Philips headphone would be toppling my HD650, however the HD650 is very old and also before anyone asks, I am using the newer and better HD650 which has the updated drive units i.e. the lighter coloured ones.

The X2 is more revealing than the HD650 so with a better source you'll have even greater gains.

You're M-DAC's probably not lacking and from what I can dig up, it's a relatively nice DAC.  Which amp are you using though?
I was commenting on how your audio tastes might be different from others, so your opinion that the X2 is better than the HD650 could be right or wrong depending on who you ask.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #1,100 of 15,268
  has the bass tightened up after burn in for anyone? What are the biggest changes?

Read this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729413/philips-fidelio-x2-a-review-by-baycode

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #1,103 of 15,268

I really like the T1 as a DAC but the amp side is sub par. Kind of tinny sounding and a little harsh regardless of which tube I used. If you find the e10 bright the t1 won't be much warmer at all regardless how many tubes you try.

As a DAC only T1 had better soundstage, more clarity and more 3d than the e10. As an amp/dac combo I'd take the e10. It sounded beefier and warmer than the T1. The T1 always had a brittle quality to the sound. But with the right amp T1 is great. I find it compliments my WA6 very nicely.

Agreed, stock amp is littlebit bright to some ppl but amp part gets really nice after capacitor upgrade to ELNA SilmicII`s + Panasonic FR. And if You add great smooth sounding tube then it`s a bliss! ;P

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #1,104 of 15,268
  Received my Schiit Modi(optical)and Magni today, to go with the X2 I got about a week ago. :D

First of all, this is my very first headphone and setup in this price range, so naturally when I first tried the X2 I've never heard such a good headphone before. When I first tried them on, I was also surprised how light and comfortable they felt. I'm very happy with the sound signature.

After plugging them into the Schiit stack, what I immediately noticed was that the noise I heard on some sources with onboard audio was now mostly gone. Apart from that I couldn't really tell any obvious differences (as opposed to slight) of the sound itself versus onboard audio, like I could going from my old headset to the X2. But maybe that's just because I haven't really had time to get used to the X2 sound with onboard.

I would certainly like to have more play on the volume pot though, when I set the volume to 20 in windows, the middle of the volume pot is about as loud as I can go. I wonder if getting a pair of attenuators for this purpose is a good idea. I was looking at these for that matter, they're the cheapest I could find here in Europe. Do you guys think these would be worth it, or would it be just as good if I'd constantly have windows volume on something like 5? Or could they even impact sound quality negatively?

I've choosen that solution with my Magni and I'm very happy with it. I've been using a pair of -12db attenuators from Harrison Lab which was the cheapest I could find shipped to Europe at the time. The ones in your link is about the same price and the possibility to choose the level on them seems like a great feature as long as it does'nt alter the sound in any other way.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,105 of 15,268
  has the bass tightened up after burn in for anyone? What are the biggest changes?

Yes

bass tightened up for me, and everything sounds a bit more concise to me after 100 hours or so.

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,106 of 15,268
You're M-DAC's probably not lacking and from what I can dig up, it's a relatively nice DAC.  Which amp are you using though?
I was commenting on how your audio tastes might be different from others, so your opinion that the X2 is better than the HD650 could be right or wrong depending on who you ask.
The M-DAC is probably the best DAC in its price range and beyond. There are many professional reviews available online.eg http://www.audiolab.co.uk/Newsdetail.aspx?Lang=En&Tab2=81 It has a built in headphone amp which is also of high quality. Where some reviewers find it a bit clinical they are right in away but only for so long as this DAC takes a real long time to burn in!
We all have our 'audio' preferences however it was the HD650's seductive mid range and overall full and smooth presentation that made me buy it in the first place. I still enjoy listening to them(until I put them on sale!) but the X2 surpasses them in every area. The midrange doesn't sound as full or close in your head but I think if it did it would have to make compromises elsewhere.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,109 of 15,268
Can anyone with experience with the NAD Viso HP50 comment on how it compares to the X2?

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #1,110 of 15,268
Can anyone with experience with the NAD Viso HP50 comment on how it compares to the X2?

That comparison was posted not too long ago, maybe it was in the other thread......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back