Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 3, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #1,007 of 15,268
I have had my X2s since Friday, and they are wonderful. Cannot be happier with them. And they aren't much less bassy than the X1s, maybe a tad, but its still full bodied and very present. With a bit of EQ you can probably get more Bass out of them. Other than that, they are perfect. I think I found my end-game. So glad I returned my X1s when I could and waited for these.

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #1,008 of 15,268
  I have had my X2s since Friday, and they are wonderful. Cannot be happier with them. And they aren't much less bassy than the X1s, maybe a tad, but its still full bodied and very present. With a bit of EQ you can probably get more Bass out of them. Other than that, they are perfect. I think I found my end-game. So glad I returned my X1s when I could and waited for these.

I got mine earlier today. Only put a couple hours into them but I think there is plenty of bass. I never heard the X1 so I can't compare but this feels like it has a lot of bass where it needs to be when I tested it on a couple of EDM/Trance tracks. I mostly listen to Rock/Metal though and I'm not sure how I feel about them there yet, Still getting used to that coming from some other headphones that I've owned for a few years.

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,009 of 15,268
Gaegalus, how do they compare against L2 in Your opinion? Yes, I know they are different cans but still...

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,010 of 15,268
Mine came in today. 

The sound is very detailed. 
I never heard such good detail in headphones before especially in the bass and highs. Mids is also good.

The bass isn't excessive but its there when needed. Compared to Sennheiser 650 it has more bass presence for sure.

I see what tyll means by gritty treble in some songs. Hopefully it wont bother me too much.

It sounds good in counter-strike go also. However, there is way more bass ingame compared to my old ipod headphones LOL. Will take some getting used to. If the x1 has more bass than these there is no way I would have used the x1s for games because it would probably be overpowering. The seperation ingame is ok.

The size isn't bad but I'd prefer smaller for the headband because it feels a bit loose and i dont come even close to reaching the top of the metal. The clamping force is good horizontally.

My source is just directly into pc headphone slot. No amp or dac and stock motherboard.

I need an amp or soundcard. Are there any that could tighten up the punch more in the bass?

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #1,011 of 15,268
Get proper source equipment and let them burn-in... Your opinion about bass department and "gritty" treble will change.
I have X1 and with my setup bass in definitely NOT overpowering (I`m not basshead and I hate bassy cans btw).
And as we starting to get more and more impressions it seems X1 & X2 bass difference actually isn`t so large and I think depending on setup they can be even.

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #1,012 of 15,268
I ordered these twice then cancelled from Amazon before they were in stock due to the lack of bass, but I pulled the trigger as I had to try these and I am so glad I did.

I got my X2's yesterday and hooked them up to my Fiio X5 and O2 amp and found they sound just right, everything is there and I expect the sound to get better after some burn in time.

95% of my listening is EDM and the bass is deep and controlled and a pleasure to my ears, I did have the X1's a few months ago and from memory there is not a lot of difference in the bass. I believe that the difference in the bass has been exaggerated between the two.

The only problem I am having is the clamping pressure is a little too much for me as I have a larger than average head, can someone let me know if this changes in time or do I need to adjust the headband?

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #1,013 of 15,268
Everyone who listened to the X2s quote Tyll on the "gritty treble" and say that they hear it.  Is there consensus on Head-Fi as to what "gritty treble" actually means?  I'm having a hard time understanding this concept if anyone is willing to clarify.

Thanks.

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #1,014 of 15,268
Everyone who listened to the X2s quote Tyll on the "gritty treble" and say that they hear it.  Is there consensus on Head-Fi as to what "gritty treble" actually means?  I'm having a hard time understanding this concept if anyone is willing to clarify.

Thanks.

+1

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #1,015 of 15,268
I did have the X1's a few months ago and from memory there is not a lot of difference in the bass. I believe that the difference in the bass has been exaggerated between the two.

That`s what I suspected and it seems to be so. Some comments say that X2 cable on X1 sounds very good and once again "proves" that X1 main issue was/is high-impedance stock cable.
And if You add good matching amp & dac, result might be same as X2 or who knows, maybe even fraction better. Why I`m talking again about this is that X1 price just dropped littlebit and for those who don`t care about swappable pads (X1 pads are replaceable same way though), don`t have big head and going to use custom cable anyway (which is cheap to replace)... then X1 is a really great bargain!

About that "gritty" treble... I also don`t quite get it but to my ears X1 treble sounds clean, clear and smooth despite X1 also having lot of comments in this part. 
Maybe these ppl haven`t properly "burned-in" their cans or have mismatch with amp/dac? Who knows. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,016 of 15,268
I too have no problem with the treble, I've not used the stock cable as it's just too long for my liking.

Here is a link to the cable I use and find the sound to be fantastic and a good match for the X2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00AZ7XVZO/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=3H5VZAO6M7IZJ&coliid=I32MK12PG1KXU2

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #1,017 of 15,268
I don't think treble will be a problem to the majority of X2 users. But there are some ones who can be overly sensitive to high frequencies. Like me, and I discovered this with the X2. To my GF the X2 sound absolutely great so I know it's my problem and not the cans. The E10K actually enhances this because the highs become more sharp. I think I'll have to stick to rolled off treble cans..

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #1,018 of 15,268
That's a shame as the X2's are great cans. What HP's do you think will be more to your liking?

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #1,019 of 15,268
I don't know, but I am waiting to receive a pair of Urbanites I won (on-ear or XL don't know), maybe I'll like them

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,020 of 15,268
Good luck and let us know what you think of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back