Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 19, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #14,731 of 15,268
Same situation for me. I am not sure if I am going to keep the X2HR for a long time or not. I've spotted a German shop but the shipping costs to my place (Belgium so very close) is 15€ for a small package for a total of 70€, not very appealing price. On the official Dekoni it's only 41€ but will take much more time and risk of customs fees as well. Difficult to decide. On the other hand, I've tried the Fidelio in gaming and movies and the result is very convincing : spacious and a good feeling with the effects and explosions. I'd really like to keep it for a multimedia use.
I've upgraded my headphones recently. Out are the HD650, Amiron Home, and a couple of others. In are the Hifiman Ananda and Dan Clark Aeon Open X (or whatever they're called!). But my X2HR are staying. I don't use them for music now, I use them for gaming and movies. They're superb for both!

It could be worth keeping an eye on the Drop website. That's where I got my Dekoni pads for $35. They're sold out now, but they might come back.

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #14,733 of 15,268
I loved the HD650 (had it in 2015/2016), but prefer the X2HR for gaming/movies. Didn't tried yet the other models of your list, a bit off budget for me haha
In all honesty I wish I'd have stayed with the more cost effective headphones. No matter how much you pay, nothing is ever perfect when it comes to headphones. Going up in price just makes you more critical.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #14,734 of 15,268
In all honesty I wish I'd have stayed with the more cost effective headphones. No matter how much you pay, nothing is ever perfect when it comes to headphones. Going up in price just makes you more critical.

Diminishing returns also kicks in hard at a certain point I've found

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #14,735 of 15,268

If you're looking for perfection, that is
But if you're looking for incremental improvement(s), you'll often find them -
IME knowledge counts as much as a big wallet in this regard.

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #14,736 of 15,268
Agree, and that’s why I did not move up in headphones. Was pretty much a 2-channel home rig listener all my life and very much enjoyed. Then, my mother-in-law gave me an Apple iPod video for Xmas one year. Found Head-Fi soon thereafter, and of course just hung out and read forums looking for ear buds. Bought my X2 In October 2014 and happy ever since! I am certainly capable financially to get whatever headphones I want, but those years just reading around the site convinced me not to do so. I am, and always will be a music first listener, and THAT’s where I spend my money. Don’t want to be a critical listener, I just wanna have fun. (Sorry Cindy). The X2 really brings the fun. That said, to each his own certainly. Different strokes for all.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #14,737 of 15,268

Yes I am already happy with what the X2HR can propose, especially for the price. I think more and more to order the Dekoni pads and keep the Fidelio for a long time in a multimedia purpose as I said. I've only invested less than 100€ for this one, so even with the price of the pads it would still be a good deal IMO. And I could perhaps add a V Moda Boompro for a mic later if I need it.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #14,738 of 15,268
Yes I am already happy with what the X2HR can propose, especially for the price. I think more and more to order the Dekoni pads and keep the Fidelio for a long time in a multimedia purpose as I said. I've only invested less than 100€ for this one, so even with the price of the pads it would still be a good deal IMO. And I could perhaps add a V Moda Boompro for a mic later if I need it.
I use mine with the Boompro. Really excellent together.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #14,740 of 15,268
Just ordered the Dekoni pads, Choice suede. I really don't consider selling the X2HR now, although I was very close to do it a couple months ago. I wanted more premium pads so I can't wait to try them. I will make a little review soon.
Superb, it'll be good to hear your opinion on them. I'd happily sell my stock pads and just use these.

Mar 22, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #14,742 of 15,268
I think I'll keep the stock pads in the original box, "just in case", to have a replacement.
Keep them in new condition and you'll probably be able to sell 'em for the same cost of a X2 in a couple years time considering whomever owns Philips never seems to want to sell replacement pads.:wink:

Mar 28, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #14,744 of 15,268
I've received my Dekoni (Choice Suede) yesterday. Comfort-wise, it's amazing in comparison to the stock one! Very soft of course, and the seal (despite being a open model) appears to be superior as well. Also find them a bit heavier but not 100% sure.

The sound is definitely affected, you feel it immediately. Overall, the signature becomes - to my ears - more forward, and offers a bit more bass and vocal presence, while treble are softened. On the song "Sorrow" from The National for instance, the vocal presence is astonishing and you feel close to the singer ; it wasn't really the case before, unless to change deeply the signature with EQ. The sound is a bit rounder, probably because of the treble tune changes. At some point, the bass seems like in a closed headphone due to the superior seal but I need more tests and time to confirm this.

The signature seems now closer to a HD650 (that I had in the past), rather than the stock X2(HR) : a good vocal presence, relatively soft treble, round bass.

It's just a first look at the product and I will try to provide more informations after extended use :)

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #14,745 of 15,268
I've upgraded my headphones recently. Out are the HD650, Amiron Home, and a couple of others. In are the Hifiman Ananda and Dan Clark Aeon Open X (or whatever they're called!). But my X2HR are staying. I don't use them for music now, I use them for gaming and movies. They're superb for both!

It could be worth keeping an eye on the Drop website. That's where I got my Dekoni pads for $35. They're sold out now, but they might come back.
I have Ananda and I only use headphones for music, do you think it would make sense to add an X2HR or would it be a downgrade in all respects?

I know Philips does not sell replacement pads, which aftermarket pads do you use? Do they all heavily affect the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back