Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 10, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #13,321 of 15,268
Hello all,

Did a quick search in this topic but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison because of price, but I was trying to see if anybody has compared the X2HR's to the HD660S and or DT1990s. I know it may be tough to buy one can to accomplish both things but I am looking for a set of open backs to replace my AD700's that will both be excellent for rock/metal music but also FPS gaming. I'd like to keep it under $500 or 600 but I'm looking for as close to end game as I can get without going too overboard. Running off a Schiit Stack.

Other options I've been toying with are LCD2 / X, HE-560.

Again... I'm looking for something that's got solid bass but also a pretty wide sound stage and very good imaging. Not sure if I can get all that for <$600.
I have compared the HD660 to X2 & x2HR which is well... The same headphone soundwise from what i could tell.
X2HR - Bassy with harsh treble.
HD660s - Clean Clear sound, highs that get to the point of grainy but never hit it (At first listen they do sound grainy but they really aren't), good mids, quality bass lacking a bit there but its still good. Good soundstage & Great imaging, nearly every sound is imaged on it.

As for gaming HD660s are King! not 1 headphone has come close to this level so far, But this said im retesting a lot of headphones for gaming in all situations (FPS Comp. MMOFPS, RPG, MMORPG, Open world, cut maps e.t.c.) so that might change down the line.....
You can literally hear the exact position for every shot in FPS games & the distance is not an issue (unless its a game audio issue! which there are a few game that have audio issues).
The X2HR are a bit more fun to listen to with games like battlefield the extra bass & soundstage just gives it a bit more life but thats its only advantage, its more left/right in imaging but still fairly accurate.

As for rock metal HD660s Perfect! makes any quality song sound good. HD600 is a nicer listen personally though but you wont be gaming in many games with those....
The HD58X are also good (stock) with metal/rock you need to spend some time with them for your ears to adjust. Very bassy which you get used to fast like the X2HR, a more dynamic sound to the music, great imaging bit similar to the HD6XX but with the HD660s soundstage. Treble well specificly the cymbals are splashy only downside (Same splashyness the SHP9500 have). For gaming its kinda inbetween the HD660s & X2HR. Bassy so fun, Very left/right imaging with good centre imaging but the audio can push past you & often spreads from the area it comes from making it NOT pin point accurate like the HD660s, but still fairly accurate like the X2hr. In fact its imaging in games is Very Similar to the K712 Pro, but without thats headphones flaws in gaming (flaws being lacking centre imaging [spreads to far never centred properly] & lakcing lower sound's imaging [doesnt do sounds that are low e.g. laying down crawling will sounds higher])

Edit: Another thats good for rock/metal is the ones i menchioned above SHP9500(/s) They have that splashyness the treble mainly in cymbals, but imaging, soundstage & overall sounds signature actually reminds me a lot of the HD660s Far more than the HD58X (hd58x doesnt really sound similar at all). I did get lazy & never tested them in gaming though, supposedly they are good & i could see that.
If you are wondering about the K712 Pro NOPE not a chance to bright, gives headaches listening to rock & metal & not the best for overall for gaming just fun with Grand thief audio & RPG's & thats about it.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #13,325 of 15,268
Hey guys just picked up a pair of the Philips Fidelio x2hr. Looking to buy an amp and a DAC any suggestions for a good pairing with these Philips x2hr??

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

You looking for solid state, tube, or hybrid amp? Or not sure?

Desktop size, or portable amp?

Budget?

Since you’re looking to add an amp and DAC, I would also consider changing the stock cable. It’s an easy upgrade. No need to spend a load of $. There are some nice budget cables that would make a nice upgrade over the stock cable.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #13,326 of 15,268
Solid state desktop $300 budget one I had in mind is Audio gd NFL 11.28 will be adding studio monitors in the near future so I want to be able to drive those off the amp too.

I'm totally okay with upgrading the cable any recommendations?

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #13,327 of 15,268
Solid state desktop $300 budget one I had in mind is Audio gd NFL 11.28 will be adding studio monitors in the near future so I want to be able to drive those off the amp too.

I'm totally okay with upgrading the cable any recommendations?

Well, some of that will depend on the amp. For example, if you’re going with a balanced amp, and/or if the amp has xlr or whatever.

I’m not a desktop amp guy, so I know others will chime in with some good recommendations!

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #13,328 of 15,268
Well I guess if I can get a balanced cable for my headphones I'd probably look for amp that has balanced outputs, completely new to this headphone don't know much about it just lots of great reviews on it that's why I decided to get it I would prefer to go balanced if I could.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #13,329 of 15,268
Well I guess if I can get a balanced cable for my headphones I'd probably look for amp that has balanced outputs, completely new to this headphone don't know much about it just lots of great reviews on it that's why I decided to get it I would prefer to go balanced if I could.

Well, since the cable comes out of 1 cup, it’s single-ended and you’ll never really be able to use it in true balanced mode (without modding the headphone with separate jacks in each cup).

But if I was in the market for a brand new desktop amp, I would definitely get one that offered balanced output so as to be as versatile as possible.

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #13,330 of 15,268
I agree with you but I don't want to mod the other side of the ear cup to make it truly balanced but I would like to change and upgrade the cable.

After Googling upgrade cable for the Fidelio x2hr I'm not seeing a lot of cables actually available there's a few on eBay but they're all from China which I don't want nothing from China I'm trying to find something in America I can't really find nothing.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #13,331 of 15,268
I agree with you but I don't want to mod the other side of the ear cup to make it truly balanced but I would like to change and upgrade the cable.

After Googling upgrade cable for the Fidelio x2hr I'm not seeing a lot of cables actually available there's a few on eBay but they're all from China which I don't want nothing from China I'm trying to find something in America I can't really find nothing.

The cable for the X2 is a simple 3.5mm trs cable. Any one will do. I use a low cost mediabridge ultra series high performance cable.

For a desktop amp, take a look at the Topping DX3 pro. It is a nice little DAC/amp. $189 ish now. For a similar cost you could look at the Topping D10 plus JDS Labs Atom amp.

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #13,332 of 15,268
The cable for the X2 is a simple 3.5mm trs cable. Any one will do. I use a low cost mediabridge ultra series high performance cable.

For a desktop amp, take a look at the Topping DX3 pro. It is a nice little DAC/amp. $189 ish now. For a similar cost you could look at the Topping D10 plus JDS Labs Atom amp.

Good advice. I like the Mediabridge cables. I've also had good luck with Ugreen cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back