Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 29, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #11,521 of 15,268

Can you please explain why such low impedence is important? x2 are 30ohm, why wouldn't an amp rated as low as 10ohm be suitable?

Well, the rule of thumb is that the output impedance of the amp ought to be at most 1/8 of the impedance of the headphone.
The X2 has about 32 ohm impedance 32 / 8 = 4 therefore the amp powering the X2s ought to have an output impedance of 4 ohm or less.

Why the rule is the way it is you'll have to find some source better than myself.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #11,523 of 15,268
Thank you so much for your advice.  I tried to bend flat screw and it did not bend but break into half. :wink:    I tried to unscrew the plastic screw parts on both left and right side of earcups but failed. I somehow managed to tighten the joint by using tweezer. It is still not rock solid tight but tight enough to be able to use again. :D

Sure......glad no damage done with the X1 but just the small screw driver broke in the process, which still can be bought for $1 or less.:wink:

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #11,524 of 15,268

Hello,

Can anyone help me?  

My unit has loose joint between headband and earcup aluminium circular frame (blue highlighted area) so need to tighten it. To do that, I somehow need to remove earcup/driver unit from aluminium frame of earcup and not sure how to do it. I guess that I need to do something on red highlighted part but not 100% sure. I do not want to break the parts so would like to get some advice if anyone has done it before.  

Thank you..

I see you have fixed your issue, but for in the future and everyone else, those plastic screw looking things in the red square, are NOT screws. They just look like it. They will not unscrew. You'll just end up breaking them. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #11,525 of 15,268
I've owned a pair of X1s since they came out and thought a pair of X2s would be a nice upgrade. I was expecting slightly lighter bass and better detail and separation. When I got the X2s I let them burn in for a couple of days, but they gave the exact opposite of what I was expecting. The bass seemed heavy and flabby and the highs were very veiled and, and less detailed than the X1s. They were made by gibson, btw. Perhaps they needed more burn in, but they were a huge disappointment, so they're back with Amazon now. I don't remember the X1s sounding that bad when they were new though.

-Mark.

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #11,526 of 15,268

Hello,

Can anyone help me?  

My unit has loose joint between headband and earcup aluminium circular frame (blue highlighted area) so need to tighten it. To do that, I somehow need to remove earcup/driver unit from aluminium frame of earcup and not sure how to do it. I guess that I need to do something on red highlighted part but not 100% sure. I do not want to break the parts so would like to get some advice if anyone has done it before.  

Thank you..

I see you have fixed your issue, but for in the future and everyone else, those plastic screw looking things in the red square, are NOT screws. They just look like it. They will not unscrew. You'll just end up breaking them. 

Great to know. Lucky that I tried different route. :)

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #11,527 of 15,268
I've owned a pair of X1s since they came out and thought a pair of X2s would be a nice upgrade. I was expecting slightly lighter bass and better detail and separation. When I got the X2s I let them burn in for a couple of days, but they gave the exact opposite of what I was expecting. The bass seemed heavy and flabby and the highs were very veiled and, and less detailed than the X1s. They were made by gibson, btw. Perhaps they needed more burn in, but they were a huge disappointment, so they're back with Amazon now. I don't remember the X1s sounding that bad when they were new though.

-Mark.

I have not tried X2 but love how X1 sounds. Great bass, neutral mid and clear high without sibilance. I actually prefer X1 to HD650.

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #11,529 of 15,268
I've owned a pair of X1s since they came out and thought a pair of X2s would be a nice upgrade. I was expecting slightly lighter bass and better detail and separation. When I got the X2s I let them burn in for a couple of days, but they gave the exact opposite of what I was expecting. The bass seemed heavy and flabby and the highs were very veiled and, and less detailed than the X1s.

X2 a million worse than the X1? The gears you mainly use?

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #11,530 of 15,268
X2 a million worse than the X1? The gears you mainly use?

I mainly drove them with a Chord Mojo, but also tried a Dragonfly Red. The phones I use the most now are Beyerdynamic T1 Generation 2s and Denon AH-D7100s. I've also got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH R70xs and they're probably closest to the X1's in overall signature, but with less bass emphasis. 

-Mark.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #11,531 of 15,268

-Mark.

Funny, this is the exact opposite of my experience with theses two. I wonder what Philips, Gibson, Woox etc did with these...........

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #11,532 of 15,268

I returned them for this very reason. I bought them soon after the release and literally loved their amazing soundstage. I'm still looking for a pair of open cans with that kind of soundstage. 

But the sibilance was unbearable to my ears. I thought I got a lemon (and a part of me still thinks that), but then others reported this issue. 

After two years I decided to give them another go. I bought a new pair of X2 (Gibson) and they sound quite different from the 2014's Woox made I had. 

The soundstage is waaay less huge, but the overall sound representation is more natural (with plenty of controlled bass). And above all, the sibilance is much less pronounced if not absent at all. It's also much more clearer with a nice treble (the first X2 felt grainy). 
I'm still burning them so this is just a preliminary response.

EDIT. The earpads are indeed different. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #11,533 of 15,268
  Well, the rule of thumb is that the output impedance of the amp ought to be at most 1/8 of the impedance of the headphone.
The X2 has about 32 ohm impedance 32 / 8 = 4 therefore the amp powering the X2s ought to have an output impedance of 4 ohm or less.

Why the rule is the way it is you'll have to find some source better than myself.

^Detailed explanation:  http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

Problem is I cannot find information on what the output impendence is for my SMSL M3? it's confusing because there is another thing called output impendence which it seems is not related to the output impendence we are talking about

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #11,534 of 15,268

Problem is I cannot find information on what the output impendence is for my SMSL M3? it's confusing because there is another thing called output impendence which it seems is not related to the output impendence we are talking about

There's no other thing called output impedance (there are separate ones for DACs and AMPs though).
Tried to find the specs for the M3 and found what is probably the same idiot confusing the output impedance with the impedance of the headphones that the unit can power.

It is a red flag when the output impedance isn't marketed, chances are that it's way up there.
I think the SMSL M6 got 10 ohm.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #11,535 of 15,268

Kindly noted,thx for the heads-up.......glad he chose my second advice and fixed the issue.....btw, you mind sharing how to part the head-band and the cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back