Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #11,491 of 15,268
  Hi,

I just bought the X2 and even though I basically like everything about them I'm thinking about returning them. Why? I feel like there is to much sibilance. S-, t-sounds and also high hats often don't sound very nice.
For example I just don't feel relaxed listening to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng02QSUiL8M  ---Y The high-hats sound makes me feel so uncomfortable.

Is this something I can fix with an equalizer? Or should I get other headphones? If so, which ones can be recommended that don't have the sibilance the X2 seems to have to some degree?

Also, what is the general opinion about this? Am I the only one who considers there to be too much sibilance in the X2-sound?

I have similar issue when I bought my X2. I tried stuffing felt under the pads but it didn't work, finally I decided replacing pads with HM5 pleather. It made huge different, now treble is softer and laid back, no more fatiquing high.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #11,492 of 15,268
Hi everyone. After reading reviews, opinions and such, I've (almost) decided to buy the Fidelio X2. Now, I'd like to know if around here anyone got any recent problems with glued pads (the latest report for that issue was a post I found in LTT forums, from April 2016). Also, because some sound inbalance issues and mismatched drivers complains here and there, I was really feeling if buying this headphone was like a lottery.
tongue.gif
Finally, Amazon has them for around 248$ at the moment and I was thinking that is better to wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday to buy them, in hopes of a (ever so slightly) drop in the price. Has this happen with Phillip branded headphones in past years? If not, there is also the option of buying a pair for 200$ in the Amazon warehouse deals (used/like new/come in original package). Thanks in advance for any response given.

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #11,493 of 15,268
  Hi everyone. After reading reviews, opinions and such, I've (almost) decided to buy the Fidelio X2. Now, I'd like to know if around here anyone got any recent problems with glued pads (the latest report for that issue was a post I found in LTT forums, from April 2016). Also, because some sound inbalance issues and mismatched drivers complains here and there, I was really feeling if buying this headphone was like a lottery.
tongue.gif
Finally, Amazon has them for around 248$ at the moment and I was thinking that is better to wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday to buy them, in hopes of a (ever so slightly) drop in the price. Has this happen with Phillip branded headphones in past years? If not, there is also the option of buying a pair for 200$ in the Amazon warehouse deals (used/like new/come in original package). Thanks in advance for any response given.

I never noticed anything like the problems some describe. As most headphones they come to life with a good headamp.
They need time to settle, as I feel all audio related stuff does.
I'm very happy with my pair that I got last years black friday.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #11,494 of 15,268
I never noticed anything like the problems some describe. As most headphones they come to life with a good headamp.
They need time to settle, as I feel all audio related stuff does.
I'm very happy with my pair that I got last years black friday.

Have had mine for 2 years now and you would have to pry them off my cold, dead head. Love 'em!

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #11,495 of 15,268
From time to time people asks for replacement / shorter cable recommendations. I have myself one of the typical recommended, the kabeldirect one, and not unhappy with it. Some people report barely detectable audio quality loss with compared with original philips cable. I can't frankly confirm. If there is something is very, very mild, at least to my ears, too old to notice. Never did a really serious side to side comparison trying to get a definitive diagnostic: I am sure that at the end I would finally get the conclusion I preferred to believe.

But I saw an offer for this Vandesail cable in my country's amazon; here is the link for global amazon, but I think you'll find it on all local sites:

https://www.amazon.com/VANDESAIL%C2%AE-Auxiliary-Connectors-Headphones-iPhones/dp/B0146B0K3U

51DuYz-4INL._SL1001_.jpg

the price, in offer, was the same or somewhat lower than the kabeldirect, and I liked how it looked and the lenght (1.2m vs 1.5m -there are other shortest and longest lenghts available, anyway). Without offer the price difference is not much significant, anyway.

So I took the plunge and ordered it.

Received it two days ago, and with it in hands I am surprised. It is even better than it looks in photos. The connectors and especially the cable itself are very sturdy and solid, high quality. The kabeldirect looks tiny and cheaper in comparison (and is itself good quality when compared with most others).

The cable is really thick, it looks like a guitar cable. Immune to tangles, zero microphonics, but flexible and amenable as the best. The connectos are full metal and golded. You can unscrew them and check soldering quality and cable inners. Really convenient. And I would say that even beautiful (even if I would prefer gray / silver to match X2 tones).

Sound wise, with only few hours of listening, I would say it sound at least as good as the kabeldirect (but as I said before, can't tell issues with that one anyway). If I had to bet, I think it should sound at least as good as the original cable, if not best (at the end, it is shorter and very well built and shielded).

I thought I would share this with people here. Highly recommended. And anyone other test it, I would like to hear what you think. Especially if someone hears any sound difference. 

Update after a week:

After more hours of listening I have to retract. I am pretty sure that there is something wrong with the sound.

I am generally pretty skeptic about most of the cable talk. I think that for such short lengths, sound differences between any minimally decent quality cable would be beyond human perception. Perhaps measurable with instruments, but no audible to normal human ears. I tend to attribute most impressions about subtle differences on airiness, bass control or soundstage to placebo effect, people hearing what they expect to hear from something in which they usually have invested hard money.

As I liked very much the physical appareance and build of the cable, I also was pretty favorably prejudiced to like what I hear from it. In fact I did not expect any difference, I was not scrutinizing and critically listening for any subtle change. But the more and more I listened, I felt there was something wrong. At the end I had to compare with the original philips cable, listening to the same songs a couple of times to compare.

And I had to accept that with this cable there is a subtle strange effect: I would say that all the sound is there, but positioning is blurred. While with the original philips cable there are many instruments and sounds that I can effortlessly and precisely position in space where they come from, from right to left, with this cable I lose this positioning and I can't discern much more than if it comes mostly from the left or right side. In general I would not exactly call it a loss of soundstage, perhaps it sounds as wide as before, but sound sources don't look so precisely in a concrete point, more like being diffused over part of the soundstage.

In that context, it is difficult to say if there is also a loss of detail in the sounds themselves or other distortions. I would say that bass look like increased but less spatially defined, coming from everywhere when with the original cable you can often locate bass components coming from different places in space.

The effect was apparent enough to notice it even without looking for it. It made music simply less enjoyable, so much I have abandoned the cable and turned again to the original philips cable, even if I have to deal with around 2 meters of cable excess.

Considering that I really wanted to like and use this cable, I don't think the issue is only in my mind, a kind of reverse placebo effect. It is most likely something it could be measured with the appropriate instruments and knowledge.  But I don't have either. I would really like to understand what can cause it, from engineering perspective. 

Forget about the recommendation.

Another business is to judge if the kabeldirect I have suffers from similar issues. I have not performed a controlled parallel test like with this one. In any case, if there is something it is not nearly as apparent. While the issue with this one was pretty noticeable with only a few hours of use, so as to force me to investigate, I have used the kabeldirect for many hours without feeling this urge to identify what is wrong. I have sometimes felt that there could be some loss of spark or definition respect from what I remembered from the same songs, but nothing so unmistakable, and it could all be in my head. In any case both cables sound very similar, if not the same. So I would not recommend against them, at least not yet.

But for the moment I would advise to stick with the original cable unless the length really annoys you too much. Have yet to find a cable that sounds better, and I'm not sure of having yet found any other unmistakably as good.

Final Update:

At the end I have returned them, thanks to the excellent Amazon return policy. Being sure I would not use them again, it made no sense to keep them even if they were not expensive. For the moment happy again with stock cable; even the Kabeldirect are left on the drawer.

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #11,496 of 15,268
I came to this thread specifically to mention this: It seems like all the issues were sorted out early 2016. I bought a pair from Amazon about 2 weeks ago (direct from amazon, they had 1 pair in stock), and they have absolutely no issues. I love them. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #11,498 of 15,268
I am selling my mint condition X2s (original WOOX) headphones with a 21AWG Norne Audio OCC litz copper cable. PM if interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/826307/fs-only-mint-condition-fidelio-x2-norne-audio-4-foot-21awg-occ-litz-copper-cable

Nov 23, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #11,499 of 15,268
I recently had the opportunity to test three X2 extensively side by side. 

Interestingly, all three are different.   I am assuming that impedance is related to decibels at a particular input level so I assume that all three are different impedance: 

Unit 1- Softest volume (highest impedance?) and most neutral of the three. 
Unit 2 - Medium volume (medium impedance?) and more bass production than 1. 
Unit 3 - Loudest volume  (lowest impedance?) and the most bass production of the three.  This one has a prodigious amount of bass. 

The gap in volume and bass between 2 and 3 is less than the gap between 1 and 2.  So if the three are separated by 10 points in terms unit 1 to 3's volume and bass production, I would subjectively place it like this: 
Unit 1 - Quantity 1
Unit 2 - Quantity 7
Unit 3 - Quantity 10

All three are good, each in their own ways depending on the music and volume being listened to.  
All three have good balance between left and right channel which is very interesting as it seems that they are somehow matched so this is not just production variance.  
But unit 3 seem to be less resolved in the transients in the bass region.   Need to test further. 

Given that the ear is more sensitive to bass as the decibel increases, unit 1 is better for louder listening while unit 3 has too much bass punch at louder volume.  One almost wants 2 pairs for the different listening volume. 

Anyways, just figure I'll test as I had access - haven't listened to headphones for a long time. 

Very interesting.  Love to hear comments and thoughts.  (I notice that more hifi headphones tend to be higher impedance - is there a reason for that?) 

Thanks. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #11,500 of 15,268

Interestingly, all three are different.   I am assuming that impedance is related to decibels at a particular input level so I assume that all three are different impedance: 

Unit 3 - Loudest volume  (lowest impedance?) and the most bass production of the three.  This one has a prodigious amount of bass. 

The gap in volume and bass between 2 and 3 is less than the gap between 1 and 2.  So if the three are separated by 10 points in terms unit 1 to 3's volume and bass production, I would subjectively place it like this: 
Unit 1 - Quantity 1
Unit 2 - Quantity 7
Unit 3 - Quantity 10

All three are good, each in their own ways depending on the music and volume being listened to.  
All three have good balance between left and right channel which is very interesting as it seems that they are somehow matched so this is not just production variance.  
But unit 3 seem to be less resolved in the transients in the bass region.   Need to test further. 

Given that the ear is more sensitive to bass as the decibel increases, unit 1 is better for louder listening while unit 3 has too much bass punch at louder volume.  One almost wants 2 pairs for the different listening volume. 

Anyways, just figure I'll test as I had access - haven't listened to headphones for a long time. 

Very interesting.  Love to hear comments and thoughts.  (I notice that more hifi headphones tend to be higher impedance - is there a reason for that?) 

Thanks. 

Did you catch the manufacturers of each unit? It can be found just above the left ear cup on the inside.

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #11,501 of 15,268

Unit 1 - Quantity 1
Unit 2 - Quantity 7
Unit 3 - Quantity 10

Thanks. 

Are they all Gibson?

Also how do you test channel imbalance?
Myself I play:
http://pkl.net/~matt/noise/noise/3stepoct.mp3
For a rough impression, but I am unsure if it's even a good methodology for it, please give your impression.

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #11,503 of 15,268
Did you catch the manufacturers of each unit? It can be found just above the left ear cup on the inside.

No, it can't. My decidedly Gibson pair also says "Woox" there.

The bottom of the retail box is the true indicator.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #11,505 of 15,268
  Is there a definitive difference between Woox and Gibson? 

From what I gather the early Woox were perfect other than ink bleed, later ones had glued pads, supposedly all sounded fine.

Then early Gibson had glued pads, some had different pads, some had poor build quality in terms of headband bumps, Fid elio printing, poor ring assembly, sound issues.
Now supposedly they are all built fine though some claim they sound differently batch to batch and some just go as far to say they all sound like garbage.

Recently the one Gibson pair I've handled were built perfectly but it sounded like garbage.
May just be that they had to be broken in, maybe my testing mythology was poor, but I recon the drivers were mismatched as ****.
The HD 598s I tested at the same time sounded fine doing the same benchmark.

I recommend you have a plan to return them if you do buy them.
In happy news I've seen people swear that their Gibson sound better than Woox, rumor mill says that Gibson improve them batch to batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back