Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 6, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #11,461 of 15,268
All right! You've convinced me. I'm fed up with articles and reviews and I'll go with these unless you say there's really better for comfort and for my uses in this price range. But I feel m'y researchs were fine and that I'll be more than happy when I'll got them.

You will be happily blown away!

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #11,462 of 15,268
Without objective proofs, I'll stand by my recommendation and keep recommending the kabeldirekt cables, as I frankly love them.

Hey folks,

I'm hesitating to buy these headphones mostly for gaming, then for listening music (rap and electro) and watching movies. I am a bit concerned about them becoming uncomfortable after some times, mainly because they weight a lot, that I have a small head and that I've read the headband would become more loose. Any long term user to give me a feedback on this?

The other headphones I would buy would be the K7xx, but I'm concerned with build quality, warranty and availability, then the AD900x, but the look of them doesn't appeal me and I've understood they also better fits large heads. Also I think I would prefer the X2 regarding the sound for my uses but I'm not an audiophile and any of these three will obviously sound amazing for me.

I know it's very common comparison but besides answer about comfort durabilty of the X2, any help deciding would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

I will highly recommend the X2.
That's said, the K7xx is "legendary" if you play online competitive FPS. ^_^

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #11,463 of 15,268

I am a bit concerned about them becoming uncomfortable after some times

In terms of comfort, these are easily the most comfortable cans I've ever put on my (admittedly large) head. The extra-large earpads fit perfectly around my ears, plush but secure, while the suspension system holds the headphone weight perfectly with no discomfort at all.

Can't comment on long-term durability, but in terms of sound, it's almost perfect. Soundstage is ideal. The highs can be just slightly overbearing, the bass is full and rich but wish it had just a bit more impact, but that's the tradeoff you typically get with open hp's.

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #11,465 of 15,268
Thanks you guys I'm going with these! It looks like it will be quite an improvement from listening to the low-quality speakers of my monitor
smily_headphones1.gif

Eeek! Monitor speakers?

Prepare to be amazed, my friend :)

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #11,467 of 15,268
Ok so I'm really confused because of Z reviews on Youtube... Monday morning I was about to click for the Fidelio but after 24h of brain washing I'm know thinking of purchasing a T50RP mod + an amp for nearly twice the budget of the X2.

What made me doubt first is the confort I'd gain from the giant leather earpads and the adjustable rails. Then close cans ultimately appeared to fit much more my needs (to prevent myself from hearing my loudy computer and to prevent my girlfriend hearing from the cans while she tries to sleep).

I know you guys are for the Fidelio, but Z said he found a pair of the MK2 modded just like the X2... So I imagine paying much more for about the same sound signature isn't a crime. The reasons above tend to justify the madness and it would get me an amp, wich I suppose can be usefull.

Any thought on this?

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #11,469 of 15,268
Ok so I'm really confused because of Z reviews on Youtube... Monday morning I was about to click for the Fidelio but after 24h of brain washing I'm know thinking of purchasing a T50RP mod + an amp for nearly twice the budget of the X2.

What made me doubt first is the confort I'd gain from the giant leather earpads and the adjustable rails. Then close cans ultimately appeared to fit much more my needs (to prevent myself from hearing my loudy computer and to prevent my girlfriend hearing from the cans while she tries to sleep).

I know you guys are for the Fidelio, but Z said he found a pair of the MK2 modded just like the X2... So I imagine paying much more for about the same sound signature isn't a crime. The reasons above tend to justify the madness and it would get me an amp, wich I suppose can be usefull.

Any thought on this?

In my experience this is not possible, I've not found any way to get a soundstage even close to that of the X2's from the T50rp.

I'm sure the T50rp can be made equally enjoyable, although I've not quite been able to get there with either of my two pairs, but they can not made to sound identical to the X2's.

The T50rp are a great headphone by all means and I'm sure some people can even prefer it over the X2's for their preferences but they do not sound particularly similar imo.

If you want the X2 get the X2, if you'd like something else the modded T50rp is a great option. Just my 2c.....

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #11,470 of 15,268

Any thought on this?

I doubt that sound quality is anywhere close to X2. Never really liked Z nor cared for his opinion, anyways :).
X2 does leak a lot, I would never use them while having other people in the room.

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #11,471 of 15,268
The T50rp are semi-open, not closed.

I've understood that modded T50RP are usually more like closed headphones due to the materials added but you're obviously right.

In my experience this is not possible, I've not found any way to get a soundstage even close to that of the X2's from the T50rp.

I'm sure the T50rp can be made equally enjoyable, although I've not quite been able to get there with either of my two pairs, but they can not made to sound identical to the X2's.

The T50rp are a great headphone by all means and I'm sure some people can even prefer it over the X2's for their preferences but they do not sound particularly similar imo.

If you want the X2 get the X2, if you'd like something else the modded T50rp is a great option. Just my 2c.....

Got ya.

The mod that I refer to has been made primarly for a wider soundstage. I understand it can't be on par with X2's or other good open-back headphones on this point, but as I'm coming from strictly nowhere in terms of hardware and I hope I would not really miss their caracteristics.

Other than pratical issues with noise, I tend toward T50RP mainly for comfort and durability. My preference for leather earpads put aside, I really fear the X2 would not fit well to my head after some time if not immediatly and it looks like T50RP are way easier to repair and to keep them for a decade.

Maybe can you comment on these points?

I doubt that sound quality is anywhere close to X2. Never really liked Z nor cared for his opinion, anyways :).
X2 does leak a lot, I would never use them while having other people in the room.

I don't really like Z either and although he led me to the X2, I can imagine his reviews could be as deceiptive as other Youtube reviews. So I don't want to rush with a choice just made because of his hype. Problem is that even if I live in one of the greatest capitals of the world, there is nowhere to try any of these cans and I can only make my choice after internet reviews.

Also I thought I could justify the price increase with the benefit of having an amp but I'm still looking for any other interest of an amp besides driving headphones. I will add a pair of speakers in the near future but I understand that the amp I would get for headphones would not help for speakersThis makes me think I could use the money I would spend on the amp for buying better headphones like some Hifiman, but I don't find good closed-back contenders to T50RP. I certainly can come back to open-back headphones though...

Deciding here is a torture.

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #11,473 of 15,268

I've understood that modded T50RP are usually more like closed headphones due to the materials added but you're obviously right.

Got ya.

The mod that I refer to has been made primarly for a wider soundstage. I understand it can't be on par with X2's or other good open-back headphones on this point, but as I'm coming from strictly nowhere in terms of hardware and I hope I would not really miss their caracteristics.

Other than pratical issues with noise, I tend toward T50RP mainly for comfort and durability. My preference for leather earpads put aside, I really fear the X2 would not fit well to my head after some time if not immediatly and it looks like T50RP are way easier to repair and to keep them for a decade.

Maybe can you comment on these points?

I don't really like Z either and although he led me to the X2, I can imagine his reviews could be as deceiptive as other Youtube reviews. So I don't want to rush with a choice just made because of his hype. Problem is that even if I live in one of the greatest capitals of the world, there is nowhere to try any of these cans and I can only make my choice after internet reviews.

Also I thought I could justify the price increase with the benefit of having an amp but I'm still looking for any other interest of an amp besides driving headphones. I will add a pair of speakers in the near future but I understand that the amp I would get for headphones would not help for speakersThis makes me think I could use the money I would spend on the amp for buying better headphones like some Hifiman, but I don't find good closed-back contenders to T50RP. I certainly can come back to open-back headphones though...

Deciding here is a torture.

I own both the Mk3's and X2's. And while I won't comment on the sound characteristics, as I haven't used my T50's in quite awhile.......X2 is immediately and IMMENSELY more comfortable. So much so, I have a hard time believing any person on the face of the earth would prefer the stock T50 comfort-wise.

It is possible to get used to the stock pads of the T50, but for me it took several weeks. I'm not familiar with the "X2-like mod" to the T50 that you refer to, but it should include a pad swap. I endured a fair amount of pain before I finally became used to the Mk3 stock pads.

I personally like Z Reviews quite a bit :) Almost every headphone in my collection was purchased after watching his review, actually......and I'd have to say I agree with him roughly 85%. Small niggles here and there, but by and large his impressions match my own. My take on his videos? If you're new to the hobby and starting from the ground up, he nails it. If you've "been there, done that" and have a good amount of experience with top-of-the-line headphones, then you likely won't find much in his reviews to relate to.

I'm still new, haven't even been doing this a year yet.

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #11,474 of 15,268
  I own both the Mk3's and X2's. And while I won't comment on the sound characteristics, as I haven't used my T50's in quite awhile.......X2 is immediately and IMMENSELY more comfortable. So much so, I have a hard time believing any person on the face of the earth would prefer the stock T50 comfort-wise.

It is possible to get used to the stock pads of the T50, but for me it took several weeks. I'm not familiar with the "X2-like mod" to the T50 that you refer to, but it should include a pad swap. I endured a fair amount of pain before I finally became used to the Mk3 stock pads.

I personally like Z Reviews quite a bit :) Almost every headphone in my collection was purchased after watching his review, actually......and I'd have to say I agree with him roughly 85%. Small niggles here and there, but by and large his impressions match my own. My take on his videos? If you're new to the hobby and starting from the ground up, he nails it. If you've "been there, done that" and have a good amount of experience with top-of-the-line headphones, then you likely won't find much in his reviews to relate to.

I'm still new, haven't even been doing this a year yet.

I'm thinking about Argon's, and only because they have 50$ lambskin earpads. They also have a deer leather headband that I think it can be modded again for very best comfort. I would not hesitate and take X2s if I could easily put leather ear pads and, above all, if I wasn't worried about the headband not correctly supporting the headphones over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back