Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 20, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #11,418 of 15,268
X2 so far is being a beast of a headphone, sold my Pm3s,sold my Hd600 and sold my Msr7. HTC 10 with Poweramo Alpha and Shozy Magic truly are magic to my ears :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I love my X2's! They're my go-to basshead HP in the $200-$300 range, and I consider them great value for the money :) They're not "neutral" by ANY stretch of the imagination, they're a "fun" can.

But I would have kept HD600 if I were you (I've never heard PM3 or MSR7, so can't comment there). HD600 to my ears has greater overall fidelity, and is a good standard for "neutral" headphones.

I have a penchant for making a "married pair" of neutral + bassy headphones though, to cover all the bases, as it were :) And when doing so, it's only my own opinion that the Neutral pair should be more detailed, so that both pairs get equal-ish ear time. If both pair of nearly equal fidelity, then you'll naturally gravitate to the more "fun" pair and the Neutral pair won't get much ear time. I think HD600 and X2 are an EXCELLENT pairing in this way!

My next step up has been Stax and X00 for my neutral(err...ish :p) and basshead combo, and I am extremely happy! In fact, I'm stopping here for quite awhile....perhaps several years. I have zero audio desires that are unfulfilled at this point :) Stax were a clear step up from HD600, and X00 is a clear step up from X2.......both with accompanying price increases, of course. Some people like E-MU better than X00, but I haven't heard them.

Those are just my own recommendations and opinions. What fits your pocketbook best is the best option for you.

P.S. I refer to "married pair" in the Firefighting sense of carrying an axe and a Halligan tool in your belt. Both do different things, and compliment each other most excellently. The same general principle I apply to headphones :)

Oct 23, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #11,422 of 15,268
  My X2 have almost no bass at all, but when I take them off, I do hear bass punch coming from them. When I put my ear against the metal mesh I actually hear more bass coming from them than when I have them on. Anyone that has this?

Interesting, I just tried that and same result as you. See this thread? http://www.head-fi.org/t/823723/so-my-philips-x2-have-minimal-bass-upgrade

The Aphex track I reference, sounds hollow and minimal sub bass but if I put my ear next to the outer, metal mesh I can hear TONS of sub bass. I wonder if they are out of phase?

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #11,423 of 15,268

Interesting, I just tried that and same result as you. See this thread? http://www.head-fi.org/t/823723/so-my-philips-x2-have-minimal-bass-upgrade

The Aphex track I reference, sounds hollow and minimal sub bass but if I put my ear next to the outer, metal mesh I can hear TONS of sub bass. I wonder if they are out of phase?

I got another set, but it was creaking a bit, so I returned it. The pads on that new set were different, harder to press in and it took longer for them to revert to their original state. I tried those pads on my old X2 and I like the bass a lot more now.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #11,424 of 15,268
I've had my  WOOX X2's now for more than 18 months and I still love them, as others have said they have a fun sound, I find them to be  brilliant with most genres of music, especially with rock/metal and classical, also fantastic with movies, also own Beyer DT770 pro, 990 premium, ATMSR7 and AKG K702 but the X2's are still my faves. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #11,425 of 15,268
How do they compare to the MSR sevens were they as detailed
I was seriously surprised when I listened to the Msr7 compared to the X2. See the Msr7 put all details in the front but not much around you and to me I did find this a little fatiguing and I did get a tad bit of sibalance. The X2 in the other hand gave me the details but placed completely around me. Yes maybe a tad less detail overall but it felt so natural to me. When I first listened to the X2 they were bass monsters but once I paired them with the Shozy Magic that completely changed. The bass for sure was something special, it became much tighter and it truly kicks but absolutely no bleed into the mids. The soundstage became massive and instrument separation became unbelievable. Mids came foward still maybe a tad recessed but somehow in a good way. Highs felt more airy and spacious. Simply not the same X2. Details, fun factor and the soundstage plus the instrument seperation greatly improved. Now is the Msr7 a bad headphone? Absolutely not! It brought details, details, details I tell you and for the price you can find it for I will say get them. But did the X2 win my heart? Yes it truly did :)

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #11,426 of 15,268
I love my X2's! They're my go-to basshead HP in the $200-$300 range, and I consider them great value for the money :) They're not "neutral" by ANY stretch of the imagination, they're a "fun" can.

But I would have kept HD600 if I were you (I've never heard PM3 or MSR7, so can't comment there). HD600 to my ears has greater overall fidelity, and is a good standard for "neutral" headphones.

I have a penchant for making a "married pair" of neutral + bassy headphones though, to cover all the bases, as it were :) And when doing so, it's only my own opinion that the Neutral pair should be more detailed, so that both pairs get equal-ish ear time. If both pair of nearly equal fidelity, then you'll naturally gravitate to the more "fun" pair and the Neutral pair won't get much ear time. I think HD600 and X2 are an EXCELLENT pairing in this way!

My next step up has been Stax and X00 for my neutral(err...ish :p) and basshead combo, and I am extremely happy! In fact, I'm stopping here for quite awhile....perhaps several years. I have zero audio desires that are unfulfilled at this point :) Stax were a clear step up from HD600, and X00 is a clear step up from X2.......both with accompanying price increases, of course. Some people like E-MU better than X00, but I haven't heard them.

Those are just my own recommendations and opinions. What fits your pocketbook best is the best option for you.

P.S. I refer to "married pair" in the Firefighting sense of carrying an axe and a Halligan tool in your belt. Both do different things, and compliment each other most excellently. The same general principle I apply to headphones :)
I see where you are coming from, honestly I do miss the legendary Hd600, but I really have no idea but the X2 has a inner beast that I feel not many people know. I don't know what Gibson is doing but the batch do sound a tad different to the older batches. And my pairing even though it isn't really as high end as others I felt that the X2 are amazing. And I played around with the Eq and I found that sweet spot. The bass is perfect I don't want no more or no less, mids sound perfect to me yess a bit in the back but it gives me such a relaxed listen and yet dishes out DETAILS! Highs are so airy even though there is a roll off I feel like nothing is missing. Yes the Hd600 may have had the lead with that extra bit of sparkle and deatil but the X2 as a whole for me beats the Hd600. And honestly I think my search for headphones is over for a good while :). If anything i'll upgradd DAP or AMP but I am more than happy with my set up.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #11,427 of 15,268
I was seriously surprised when I listened to the Msr7 compared to the X2. See the Msr7 put all details in the front but not much around you and to me I did find this a little fatiguing and I did get a tad bit of sibalance. The X2 in the other hand gave me the details but placed completely around me. Yes maybe a tad less detail overall but it felt so natural to me. When I first listened to the X2 they were bass monsters but once I paired them with the Shozy Magic that completely changed. The bass for sure was something special, it became much tighter and it truly kicks but absolutely no bleed into the mids. The soundstage became massive and instrument separation became unbelievable. Mids came foward still maybe a tad recessed but somehow in a good way. Highs felt more airy and spacious. Simply not the same X2. Details, fun factor and the soundstage plus the instrument seperation greatly improved. Now is the Msr7 a bad headphone? Absolutely not! It brought details, details, details I tell you and for the price you can find it for I will say get them. But did the X2 win my heart? Yes it truly did :)
SOLD!!!!!! I'm definitely looking at the X twos next thanks for the input buddy I appreciate it! It's definitely going to be my next set of cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back