Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 14, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #11,251 of 15,268
Guys, got a Creative Titanium HD and a pair of X2's. What's a decent amp for this setup? Price range ~150€.

PS: Not very keen on the E10K since it got a lot of bad reviews from people that had that combo...

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #11,254 of 15,268
  Guys, got a Creative Titanium HD and a pair of X2's. What's a decent amp for this setup? Price range ~150€.

PS: Not very keen on the E10K since it got a lot of bad reviews from people that had that combo...

Dragonfly red, cheaper Schiit stuff in that price range. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #11,255 of 15,268
Will check it out, thank you.

Also, what are the most consensual options for a replacement cable? The microphonics on the stock X2 cable are driving me insane...

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #11,256 of 15,268
if i have to keep 2 headphones in my inventory. i would sale all but the x2 and the he500. that means selling the hd600, thx00, m100.

Everyone is different.
I force myself to have only one pair of headphones at a time, for budgeting reasons (sometimes not easy). I haven't heard the HE500, but let go all the rest you have mentioned, and ended up keeping the X00s. (Plus let go some other hps like HE400s, NAD Viso, Nighthawks)
 M100 is a good portable bass monster in a good way. But when it comes to mids and treble (especially mids) it lacks a lot compared to anything else on this list. This was the easiest good bye, however I did enjoy them.
 HD600 is an eternal king of mid-fi opened back hps for its naturalness and spaciousness. Perfect solution for acoustic and vocal music. Not suitable at all for EDM. (Lacks bass extension a lot.) So this one has gone due to my music preference, while I still appreciate its strengths. 
 X2 was one of my biggest loves. It does so many things so wonderfully. For an insanely good value for money. Bass is about the best an opened back headphone can offer, and in every other aspect it is a more than fair deal. Also, very enjoyable, what not many opened back headphones can tell. (Yes, there is, a beauty in a completely natural and flat neutral curve as well, but only for vocals and acoustic instruments.) When electricity is involved in producing music on any level, this fun factor becomes much more important. And X2 excells in that regard, while it keeps the most of the benefits of an opened back headphone. (Space, relative naturalness.)
 It was hard to let X2s go. But I really want to keep only one pair of headphones at a time, and in my case with my music preference X00s were just better. Bass is absolutely fabulous, everything is there what I missed with X2s. (Extention, sub-bass, slam, punch, tightness, clarity.) Mids are more than ok, and treble is shiny, yet not piercing. After bass, the second most obvious improvement is resolution. So much more details are coming through, while the sound stays very much enjoyable, but not analytically dry at all. You can hear details in the recording what you can't not hear with X2s, and all of this comes with a much better bass. (Thanks to the semi-closed design.) Yes, there is a little compromise in airiness and spaciousness compared to X2s. But the gain is much more IMO.
This is my story, my preference.
YMMV.

I am curious however, why did you let X00s go over X2s. You must have your own reason. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #11,260 of 15,268
  Everyone is different.
I force myself to have only one pair of headphones at a time, for budgeting reasons (sometimes not easy). I haven't heard the HE500, but let go all the rest you have mentioned, and ended up keeping the X00s. (Plus let go some other hps like HE400s, NAD Viso, Nighthawks)
 M100 is a good portable bass monster in a good way. But when it comes to mids and treble (especially mids) it lacks a lot compared to anything else on this list. This was the easiest good bye, however I did enjoy them.
 HD600 is an eternal king of mid-fi opened back hps for its naturalness and spaciousness. Perfect solution for acoustic and vocal music. Not suitable at all for EDM. (Lacks bass extension a lot.) So this one has gone due to my music preference, while I still appreciate its strengths. 
 X2 was one of my biggest loves. It does so many things so wonderfully. For an insanely good value for money. Bass is about the best an opened back headphone can offer, and in every other aspect it is a more than fair deal. Also, very enjoyable, what not many opened back headphones can tell. (Yes, there is, a beauty in a completely natural and flat neutral curve as well, but only for vocals and acoustic instruments.) When electricity is involved in producing music on any level, this fun factor becomes much more important. And X2 excells in that regard, while it keeps the most of the benefits of an opened back headphone. (Space, relative naturalness.)
 It was hard to let X2s go. But I really want to keep only one pair of headphones at a time, and in my case with my music preference X00s were just better. Bass is absolutely fabulous, everything is there what I missed with X2s. (Extention, sub-bass, slam, punch, tightness, clarity.) Mids are more than ok, and treble is shiny, yet not piercing. After bass, the second most obvious improvement is resolution. So much more details are coming through, while the sound stays very much enjoyable, but not analytically dry at all. You can hear details in the recording what you can't not hear with X2s, and all of this comes with a much better bass. (Thanks to the semi-closed design.) Yes, there is a little compromise in airiness and spaciousness compared to X2s. But the gain is much more IMO.
This is my story, my preference.
YMMV.

I am curious however, why did you let X00s go over X2s. You must have your own reason. 

I'm with Betula. My long-term pairing is X-00 PH and my Stax 207/252S. Neither do soundstage (width) particularly well, but do everything ELSE spectacularly so :)

The Stax (as my more-or-less neutral pair) clearly best my HD600 in my music (EDM, rock) in every metric except soundstage.

Same story with X00. I wanted a big brother to X2, and I got it. EXCEPT for soundstage width, everything else is superior, and with a similar overall sound.

Unlike Betula though, I still retain all the HPs in my collection :) X2 and HD600 are both excellent cans, and worthy of their praise! I have simply surpassed them, but still love them for what they are.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #11,261 of 15,268
I went down another path than trying to find a direct upgrade to the X2's and recently acquired a pair of HE400i as well. To me they're the perfect compliment to each other : the X2 has excellent bass andba very large soundstage while the HE400i have a more forward midrange and higher resolution.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #11,262 of 15,268
I went down another path than trying to find a direct upgrade to the X2's and recently acquired a pair of HE400i as well. To me they're the perfect compliment to each other : the X2 has excellent bass andba very large soundstage while the HE400i have a more forward midrange and higher resolution.

First of all, love your reviews!! You made me fall in love with the Conductor, and if I wasn't a poor boy, I'd already have one because of you :)

And yes, you have identified some glaring omissions in my collection, in that I haven't listened to Hifiman or Audeze yet :/ My pocketbook needs to recover, so I'm done purchasing for awhile. But hopefully in the future, I can add models from those 2 companies to my collection.

*edit* And no, there are no meets or stores where I can audition close to me. If I don't purchase them, I don't hear them :/

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #11,263 of 15,268

Curious if you or anyone else has any idea how the X2 compares resolution- and soundstage-wise, to the Beyer DT-990. The Beyers have a pretty good resolution IMO, and their soundstage is OK (not earth shattering).  

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #11,264 of 15,268
First of all, love your reviews!! You made me fall in love with the Conductor, and if I wasn't a poor boy, I'd already have one because of you :)

And yes, you have identified some glaring omissions in my collection, in that I haven't listened to Hifiman or Audeze yet :/ My pocketbook needs to recover, so I'm done purchasing for awhile. But hopefully in the future, I can add models from those 2 companies to my collection.

*edit* And no, there are no meets or stores where I can audition close to me. If I don't purchase them, I don't hear them :/

Thank you for your kind words :)

The Conductor V2+ is indeed an amazing unit.

I know how you feel, I'm trying to recover my wallet all the time myself but never manage very well :wink:

Curious if you or anyone else has any idea how the X2 compares resolution- and soundstage-wise, to the Beyer DT-990. The Beyers have a pretty good resolution IMO, and their soundstage is OK (not earth shattering).  

Sorry, I've never heard the DT990 (I did own the DT880 for a while and although good not my preferred signature) so hopefully someone else can chime in.

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #11,265 of 15,268

Don't have a X00, but did have a TH-900 & I prefer the X2 over it.

The X2 can definitely hit harder with bass if amped & with a proper DAC.
I'll have to try some pad rolling as well to see if that helps.

The mids are no way as recessed as the 900. The treble might be perfect on the X2, but there is zero sibilance & it still has the higher resolution sound of open back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back