Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 28, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #11,221 of 15,268
How come I missed this thread:)

X2 lover here as well.

Also just fixed an issue FYI: http://www.head-fi.org/t/808067/fidelio-x2-cracking

As I have mentionted elsewhere, the X2 have fully obsoleted my HD600. Not sure which version I have - bought a month ago from Amazon.de.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #11,223 of 15,268
hi guys whats a good step up from the x2 for under $1k w/ similar sound signature? 
I think you're better off looking for a sidestep ie a similarly (or lower) priced headphone that sounds and feels different, even with a similar signature. Personally as an X1 owner I'm looking into one of the open AudioTechnicas or perhaps Grados.

BTW this forum has excellent mobile code, quite a rarity these days.

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #11,224 of 15,268
hey guys, i just saw Z's fidelio X1 review, (just released yesterdeay  :D) and in his video he says that the fidelio x1 and x2 are pretty much exactly the same besides color....i am treble sensitive and prefer a warmer sound like the HD650, and i always read that the x2 is more V shaped and the x1 is more warm....so what do i believe?? should i go for the x1 or the x2? 

also i am 27 years old and suffer from crippling depression which im sure causes me to age faster, and i do want to die cus i realize now that i am all alone in teh world and there is no god or heaven or angel girlfriend - but im guessing it wont be long til my ears age more, so after my ears age more and i lose higher frequency hearing, does that mean i wont be as treble senstive anymore? 

also how is the fit of the fidelio x1/x2 compared to the k7xx? i had problems with the bottom of the ear pads on the k7xx digging into my jaw to the point where i could not wear them...so would i have the same issue with the fidelio or do they sit higher up? 

Sounds like you have much bigger problems than choosing between the Fidelio Xes. Depression can be a danger to life, and you also seem to be sinking into delusional thinking. Seek help, have no shame about it. Good luck.

Depression is temporary, but well-built headphones can last forever!  
"crippling depression" doesn't sound temporary to me. Depression can be a lifelong struggle.

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #11,225 of 15,268
If you're worrIed about the cans sinking on your head, I would definitely advise the Fidelio X1 over the X2. The X2 headband is significantly larger for fitting huge heads like mine.
The X2 fits my head perfectly while the Q701 is just too small.

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #11,226 of 15,268
Life gets better.  I spent most of my life suffering from depression.  27-35 was really rough but I was not fully better until age 46.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.  Now, I'm 52 and things are wonderful and I'm at peace.  There are specific reasons for your depression but I can tell you that parents, friends, and society in general have lied to you about who you are.  You are beyond personality, beyond the mental self, beyond the physical self.  All these things are illusions. Guess which part of yourself it is that lies to you and makes you feel less?  You guessed it....it's your (our) negative ego that lies to us.  This is why the Buddhists work so hard on the ego.  But even they get it wrong.  They try to crush the ego out of existence rather than replace the negative ego with a more positive one.

Now, the Philips X2 are an amazing headphone.  I just took delivery on the Beyerdynamics T1 (second gen) flagship $1100.  Guess what?  They are ever so slightly smoother than the X2's--like just a hair.  Are they more enjoyable?  Nope.  But, I had to find out what all the flap was about.  See, I just saved you $700 worth of experience.  You can't get depressed about that.  Pull the trigger on the X2's and never look back.  Just give them 200 hrs to break in...   Peace out.  (Oh, on on Facebook under "Shawn P. Watson".  Look me up....  : )

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #11,227 of 15,268
If you're worrIed about the cans sinking on your head, I would definitely advise the Fidelio X1 over the X2. The X2 headband is significantly larger for fitting huge heads like mine.
The X2 fits my head perfectly while the Q701 is just too small.

Mind that the X1 not fitting very large heads is dependent on how low your ears "sit" on the head, not just the hat size.

P.S. your head doesn't look very big, could use some skin too.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #11,228 of 15,268
It's true, there are many skull shapes that affect headphone fit. My head is dolichocephalic, AKA tall, which means that circular headbands don't work for me. The X2's headband, on the other hand, is oblong. So it's perfect for me! (What's interesting is the skull in my avatar is also dolichocephalic)!

Quote:
  . . .All these things are illusions.

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #11,229 of 15,268
  Life gets better.  I spent most of my life suffering from depression.  27-35 was really rough but I was not fully better until age 46.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.  Now, I'm 52 and things are wonderful and I'm at peace.  There are specific reasons for your depression but I can tell you that parents, friends, and society in general have lied to you about who you are.  You are beyond personality, beyond the mental self, beyond the physical self.  All these things are illusions. Guess which part of yourself it is that lies to you and makes you feel less?  You guessed it....it's your (our) negative ego that lies to us.  This is why the Buddhists work so hard on the ego.  But even they get it wrong.  They try to crush the ego out of existence rather than replace the negative ego with a more positive one.

Now, the Philips X2 are an amazing headphone.  I just took delivery on the Beyerdynamics T1 (second gen) flagship $1100.  Guess what?  They are ever so slightly smoother than the X2's--like just a hair.  Are they more enjoyable?  Nope.  But, I had to find out what all the flap was about.  See, I just saved you $700 worth of experience.  You can't get depressed about that.  Pull the trigger on the X2's and never look back.  Just give them 200 hrs to break in...   Peace out.  (Oh, on on Facebook under "Shawn P. Watson".  Look me up....  : )

It is nice to meet every once in a wile a spiritual seeker on head-fi. :)

I'd advise you to check out advaita. (Maharshi, Papaji, Mooji) They all encourage you to follow the path of self enquiry.

In the meantime enjoy your X2s, I enjoyed them for more than a year. Until I have explored X00s.

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #11,230 of 15,268

It is nice to meet every once in a wile a spiritual seeker on head-fi. :)

I'd advise you to check out advaita. (Maharshi, Papaji, Mooji) They all encourage you to follow the path of self enquiry.

In the meantime enjoy your X2s, I enjoyed them for more than a year. Until I have explored X00s.

OK, this might sound as a newbie question.. but what is exactly X00s? 
confused_face.gif

whats the full product name..

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #11,231 of 15,268

OK, this might sound as a newbie question.. but what is exactly X00s? 
confused_face.gif

whats the full product name..

Fostex TH-X00, they're a Massdrop exclusive headphone

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #11,234 of 15,268
hi,
im a noob so this may be a stupid question but i like watching movies with headphones and i have bought  the x2's, if a movie is encoded in a six channel format like dolby or something would i be able to tell on the x2 or will it be just like normal stereo,  also is there any amp or dac that can do this?

thanks in advance

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #11,235 of 15,268
  hi,
im a noob so this may be a stupid question but i like watching movies with headphones and i have bought  the x2's, if a movie is encoded in a six channel format like dolby or something would i be able to tell on the x2 or will it be just like normal stereo,  also is there any amp or dac that can do this?

thanks in advance

I have a 7.2 speaker system hooked into a master DTS / dolby HD system, but I prefer to watch movies downmixed to stereo (digitally in my blu-ray player), then DAC-ed by iFi iDSD, and amped by a KT77 tube amp. The stereo downmix is not an afterthought but a part of the functional design of the DTS/Dolby matrices. (For music I use the iFi directly, but for movies for some reason I always hook up the tube amp.)

This is personal, but to me, the surround is a little gimicky in the same sense that 3D video is gimmicky -- it's cool and all that -- but after a few minutes your brain adapts to it and the end result or feeling/enjoyment is the same as watching 2D / listening to stereo -- our brains are unbelievably good at reconstructing spatial information from 2D / stereo sources.

That said, there are "surround" multi-driver headphones (not X2), and there are various surround->binaural encoders (for classic headphones) -- I guess the most accessible in the Yamaha receiver lineup (they call it CinemaDSP), and the over-the-top contender would be the Realiser.

Pic of my movie setup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back