Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 24, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #8,431 of 15,268
I received the replacement but it has the same issue. Metal rings that are right next to the ear pads and on the cups are clearly popping off in several places. There is glue on the pads. This one is worse than the first one. I just cannot accept Philips quality.  I'll go ahead and return it for a refund.  

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #8,434 of 15,268
  Which is better?Gibson or WOOX or something else?

It's all just speculation at this point... I don't think there's any meaningful statistic gathered by anyone. Not like you have a choice...

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #8,435 of 15,268
To me, the only relevant question regarding the change in manufacturers is whether one can still replace the Woox-era (glued-on) pads with the nice aftermarket ones from Brainwavz, or another manufacturer. Pads will wear in time, as long as reasonable facsimiles are available, this really isn't a big deal.

I've popped the pads off two Woox pairs, glue and all, and back on with no problem.

Has anyone gotten aftermarket pads on, post-gluegate? To me, this is the only quality control issue of consequence.

I hate giving this conversation any oxygen whatsoever, but I haven't seen this replaceable pad question answered in an authoritative manner.

And, no, I'm not trolling the thread; although it seems with each passing day, this thread is trolling me.

If you look back through my posts, I posted a pic with mine wearing some HM5 pads. A bit of on adventure getting them on since you gotta stretch them all the way over the earcups - unless you can get a pair of mounting plates - I've had no luck so far. @Baycode also did a review of the hm5 pads and had some better pics.
Trying the hm5 pads really was the only reason I noticed the pads were glued, and comfort wise they are a step up IMO.

Dec 24, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #8,436 of 15,268
My replacement pair felt so uncomfortable compared to my old pair, so much so that I was waranting keeping the old ones, but they've really softened up after just a couple hours of wear. I guess the foam needs a bit of time to adjust to your head. 

*edit*

They also sounded very harsh in comparing to the week old pair. But I think they've really smoothed out since yesterday, havent had a chance to A/B again.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #8,438 of 15,268
  It's on the padded sling part, not the leather band. It's just a manufacturing mark, and I doubt it has any bearing on anything.

On another note, can anybody suggest a decent case for these?

I got this one from Amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6IKL4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
Make sure to get the XL.  It fits perfect.

Edit to add: Wow.. I see it's $34 at this time.  I got mine for $24

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #8,439 of 15,268
Dec 25, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #8,440 of 15,268
On another note, can anybody suggest a decent case for these?

Not a headphone case, but I used this to carry two large headphones and accessories to a headphone meet.  Sturdy enough, protective, and cheap.  Look around at variations for different sizes, price $14 - $19  

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-Company-Protector-X-Large/dp/B00TY4AN4G/ref=pd_sim_200_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51UZ0TOUPjL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1NKTP7MD4Z3GB5QSW31V

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #8,443 of 15,268
  Have another 3.5mm M to M cable to try? You might just have a bad cable. 100% serious suggestion.

It might have been a little more balanced. I'll have to test tomorrow with another cable. The only cable I had available was like a 1 foot long coiled cable and if I tried to sit in a normal position it just pulled on the headphones so hard it was uncomfortable.

I also went back and listened on my HD 598s, I listened to the same track and the bass was louder in the right ear. (Not saying I listened to only stereo music, I tested mono tones and mono music.) Maybe it could kind of be a confirmation bias thing after reading about other people having this issue/people getting defective ones.

Also, just curious, how could a cable cause something like that? Would it be like the ends not making good enough contact or something?

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #8,444 of 15,268
Hmmm, so I pulled the X2's back out of the box and decided to try them on my phone.  Sounds a lot better but that's because I have the V going on the EQ.  On my PC, I don't have EQ or any FX going on which is probably why it sounded dull to me.  Boosting the lows and highs with the EQ I do like it a lot better now.  But boosting the highs does reveal those sparkly rough highs.

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #8,445 of 15,268
You may be right about this "Renaissance," but the replaceable pad question, to me, is much more relevant than these cosmetic fit/finish issues.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here.

Trust me - you are not alone.

I'm in for preservation.
I have the cash to buy another HP if I wanted, but even then, if would give/sell the old pair back, so I want it to be "functional".
It bug me when something that you don't plan to use -in good shape- are left unused, when someone would really use it.
Or in this case, throwing away a good X2 because we can't change the pads, because of a "bad" decision (They probably think we will buy another pair or something...)

And yes, I want my X2 to "last forever".
biggrin.gif
They are really that good. And if I upgrade it, I want them to be on someone head, that possibly would love it as much as I did
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back