Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 16, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #7,486 of 15,268
You don't need it to. The X2 is a 32-ohm phone, portable devices are more than enough to power it.

Since working with I-devices was one of two criteria he stated my guess is that he wants something that works with I-device's........

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #7,488 of 15,268
Well, you can always run a cable from it to the O2 (it's what I do with my HD650s). It's not portable, though.

From the the headphone output?

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #7,491 of 15,268
The O2+ODAC is a very nice unit but the DAC portion is 24/96. The O2 Amp is very good as are some of the available CMOY portable amps. If you are looking for a DAC, which typically comes with a headphone amp, I would get something with 24/192 to 32/384 processing and, optionally, DSD. Of course, you need to have some of the hi-res files to take advantage of it. But, that is one outcome of buying these headphones, you start to buy the music in hi-res formats or you might possible decode SACDs into FLACs or DSDs if you have the capability. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #7,492 of 15,268
Yeah - don't think the O2 is an ideal fit for me at least right now. For my first amp want it to do everything. Kinda think I should get an AMP/DAC - read a little about the Teac/Onkyo one and it seems to be an easy enough plug and play for iphone and portable. I love my Onkyo 905 av receiver. Anything else i should look at?

Of course if I have my head up my arse with any of these assumptions a gentle bi*%h slap is welcomed.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #7,493 of 15,268
Correction - the sound card on my office comp must be particularly bad - no volume. My iphone does just fine with X2 and these headphones just came alive. forget what i said before about the mids being in the background. I am blown away with the X2

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #7,496 of 15,268
Just looked at my order.  It's not gonna ship til the 21st!!!, and it says to be delivered on the 24th, lol.  Should have done priority, oh well.  Should be getting the Vali 2 tomorrow.  I also have Project Polaris.  I want to see how that pairs with the X2.  Should get a DAC though.  I'm just using my Sound Blaster X5 as a DAC for now.  Probably will just get the Modi 2 Uber so I can stack it with the Vali 2.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #7,498 of 15,268
Depends on what you want and how much are you willing to spend: an AMP like the O2 or a CMOY or a tube one like the Schiit, or a DAC which typically come with an AMP. Your spend range on both are typically $100 to  $2000 (with some much more expensive ones available). I am very happy with two of my DAC Amps which run $200 and $100, respectively: the Meridian Explorer (24/192) which I use in my living room stereo system and the Musiland Monitor (32/384) for my office PC (I notice that the new Mark 2 version comes with DSD capability). They are fantastic, but, I am in no way pushing them as there there are so many good options that depend on what you want and how much you are willing to pay. At some point, I will try a tube Amp or tube Amp/DAC, just not there yet as I am very pleased with the sound of these.

By the way. the second pair of X2s just came in from Amazon. It was exciting just to open the brown Amazon box. I will wrap them as a gift for my brother.  

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #7,499 of 15,268
Holy Crap - more elation. So 10 minutes further on listening to a Spotify mix i made for auditioning headphones through just my iPhone I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH THESE HEADPHONES. I am hearing things I havent heard before on these tracks. These headphones are something special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back