Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 4, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #4,411 of 15,268
Had my X2's for a couple of months and love them.

They are hooked up to my macbook pro (late 2013) / iphone 4s > Fiio E6

Would like to know which portable amps (SS / Tube) people enjoy using with there X2's?

Kind regards,

Mooch

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #4,413 of 15,268
Hey everyone. I just picked up another set of the X2's. I am comparing them to my HD700. Will the bass on the X2's tighten up a little with time? I find these to be really good cans the second time around. They match the HD700 in detail... Well almost. My only concern is the bass is a little sloppy. Take in consideration I have less than an hour on these and the 700's have about about 10 hours..

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #4,414 of 15,268
  Had my X2's for a couple of months and love them.

They are hooked up to my macbook pro (late 2013) / iphone 4s > Fiio E6

Would like to know which portable amps (SS / Tube) people enjoy using with there X2's?

Kind regards,

Mooch

I'm using Meridian Explorer 2 which sounds absolutely fantastic with X2s.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #4,415 of 15,268
  I'm beginning to miss the emotional connection, excitement, passion, intensity, (whatever a good word for it would be that I can't seem to grasp) that I used to get from my music collection. The X2 never gives me goosebumps. The X2 never fatigues me either.

I just need a distinctly opposing headphone in terms of signature. HD600 was even less lively and more boring. Passive as opposed to active listening maybe? I never feel the want/need to sing along with my music on an HD600. They put me to sleep like music isn't even being played. The X2 isn't that bad, but it isn't as engaging as I'd like it to be all the time. This is all personal preference of course.

I love my X2 for different reasons and they work a lot better for games and VoiP than some of my other headphones did. If money, comfort, size, fit, weight, etc. weren't factors... I'd lean towards an Audeze LCD-3F, Hifiman HE-560 or HE-6 (lmao, no chance). Due to those same factors, I'd probably buy a Beyerdynamic T1 or T90 (T90 might have too much of a peak/spike); HE-560 would pass everything except monetary restrictions I think. Hard to say without having them in front of me.

I put on my DT990/600 one last time before shipping them out to their buyer. Goosebumps; hair standing on end. I wish they weren't so v-shaped and artificial sounding. The hot/harsh treble (sibilance is nearly gone) didn't even bother me in the slightest on my new Mini-i Pro + V100 combo.

All of this might be slightly off-topic for the X2 thread, but I feel it's relevant enough to bother posting.

Interesting... X2s are considered to be one of the most fun headphones around. HD800 and HE560 are more analytical and boring. Maybe you should try Fostex TH600/900. They have somewhat aggressive treble but are considered as fun by many.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #4,416 of 15,268
Sound changed a lot in the first few hours. When I first put them on I thought I had made a mistake. Bass was boomy at first but tightens up

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #4,417 of 15,268
Just received HD600 after listening to X2 for a few days. Without any burn in they already sound amazing and feel much more comfortable. X2 feel like they don't slide down low enough and don't let my ears breathe like Sennhisers.
Beautiful, detailed sound with great imaging. Allan Taylor - Colour to the moon now sound like it should.
Highs are slightly harsh, which might get better with time. I will probably order HD650 and compare them as well, but I know now that I definitely prefer Sennhisers' sound and fit to Philips.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #4,418 of 15,268
  Just received HD600 after listening to X2 for a few days. Without any burn in they already sound amazing and feel much more comfortable. X2 feel like they don't slide down low enough and don't let my ears breathe like Sennhisers.
Beautiful, detailed sound with great imaging. Allan Taylor - Colour to the moon now sound like it should.
Highs are slightly harsh, which might get better with time. I will probably order HD650 and compare them as well, but I know now that I definitely prefer Sennhisers' sound and fit to Philips.

That's what makes horse races. For me, my X2s are much more comfortable than my HD650s. And, when comparing the HD650s to the X2s the HD650s sound flat with somewhat less 'life'. 

It is for that reason that I use different HPs for different genres, At least in my opinion there is no do-it-all headphone.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #4,420 of 15,268
The TH-900's are on my list as well, but of course monetary restrictions prevent it. I need a faster, more aggessive, more clean, detailed, heightened clarity headphone than what the DT990 delivers. X2 is just too laid back and forgiving. Same for HD600. I liked the AKG K7XX/K712, but they don't fit properly and at the time of owning them... my dac/amp made a lot of my headphone too harsh and sibilant to enjoy. Maybe I'm so used to the reference sound, it's just how I personally would like to hear the music? Gritty, harsh, sometimes thin depending on the source material. I don't know to be entirely honest. It's hard to say. I just know the laid-back sound disappoints me at the end of the day if I'm exclusively listening to music without multitasking. Multitasking, the laid back sound is more relaxed and less distracting.

I have my genre's of choice on my profile.

You are describing the HD 800s . LOL

Mine are due in next week.

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #4,422 of 15,268
That makes me think a second hand T1 or T90 wouldn't be the worst compromise for the time being with my limited budget.

I have a pair of  Beyerdynamic DT880 / 600 ohms that I call my "poor mans"  HD 800s, as the frequency response curves are very similar

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #4,423 of 15,268
Didn't mean to hijack the X2 thread. I'm listening to the Atlantic Five Jazz Band with my X2s right now and they sound heavenly.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back