Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 4, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #4,426 of 15,268
I just received my Fidelio X2 and iFi Micro iDSD.  Anyone interested in buying a 2 weeks new HD600 :)  (I also have the K7xx listed for sale)?

After A/B the 2 for a couple of hours using the Micro iDSD,  the X2 comes out a head but with a slight trade off in the smoothness (HD600) and occasional piercing highs (X2). 

This is simply personal preference.  I like the more exciting sound of the X2 but that's not to say the HD600 is boring.
I really love the lows in the X2, super tight, clean with good impact.  If the HD600 had that then it could be the ultimate HP with it's silky smooth mids.

Both are very comfortable with the HD600 slightly better fit due to the oval shape of the cups and lighter.
X2 has better built, it uses more metal hence heavier.  HD600 has already proven it can last despite more plastic plus easy parts replacement.

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #4,427 of 15,268
The upgrade to Fidelio X2 is not HD600, Oppo PM-2, Hifiman HE 560 or Fostex TH900. They all have different characters but are not necessarily better for everyone. If you want a more refined treble with the same amazing bass, fun sound character, great detail retrieval you just got to get Audeze LCD-3.

That said, I hope Audeze don't mess up their LCD line like the weird sounding EL-8.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #4,429 of 15,268
Had my X2's for a couple of months and love them.

They are hooked up to my macbook pro (late 2013) / iphone 4s > Fiio E6

Would like to know which portable amps (SS / Tube) people enjoy using with there X2's?

Kind regards,

Mooch

I have the Fidelio L2s and use them with ifi micro iDSD which is a great dac/amp on the go! I think they make a great couple!

I just tapatalked!

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #4,431 of 15,268
  +1 for the iDSD micro!

Yes indeed.  For the $499 retail price (street price is more now since they are so few available) they are as good if not better than a Burson Conductor (from a review I read).  Very portable and feature packed.  If money is tight, I recommend it's little brother the Nano.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #4,432 of 15,268
I'm running the X2s out of a Geek Out 450 and it sounds excellent. Lots of detail and great sense of space. Treble can get slightly harsh cos of the extension and detail though on some tracks...

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #4,433 of 15,268
Had my X2's for a couple of months and love them.

They are hooked up to my macbook pro (late 2013) / iphone 4s > Fiio E6

Would like to know which portable amps (SS / Tube) people enjoy using with there X2's?

Kind regards,

Mooch

Using the Oppo HA-2 with an Ipod touch 5G as a source when travelling. Super clean with zero noise with the X2s. Seems to clean up some graininess in the treble and have yet to experience that Sabre glare when using the X2s. Although meant for my portable setup, I tend to use it with the X2's more frequently than my O2. Pretty piece of gear with some nice features, plus you can use it to charge your device while in use if desired. Nice review up on Headfonia.

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #4,434 of 15,268
Morning everyone

Thanks to all for the ideas re a portable amp for my X2's

After reading the appreciation tread(s) I like the iDSD, although this presents me with the following 2 problems:

- I need to save up the money. Not a problem, I'm a patient man.
- This is the tricky one; how am I going to hide this from my wife!? 
confused_face(1).gif

Many thanks 

Mooch

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #4,435 of 15,268
confused_face(1).gif

By leaving her.
It may be a little harsh, but my point is, you should be able to do whatever you want with your hard earned cash.
And this, from both side.

My problem with audio gears, is that I find it difficult to buy the right thing.It's all subjective.
My brain sometime make me think that one source is better than another, and then realize it was all in my head.
biggrin.gif

Even worse, sometime I simply can't test things before buying.

Another option can be a Sansa clip + alone, with the Fidelio X2 it sound great.

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #4,436 of 15,268

- I need to save up the money. Not a problem, I'm a patient man.
confused_face(1).gif

Many thanks 

Mooch

- - Most of us have that issue when it comes to this hobby. 
- - A few options here: you can buy her a new expensive purse so you both get something you like
or make the sofa comfy and hire a lawyer on the side just in case. :)

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #4,437 of 15,268
I'm not married (happily) but I were, I'd buy her a Fendi handbag or something. Let's face it, buying expensive audio gear is not a necessity, for ordinary people it's wasted money. We may think a Fendi handbag is wasted money, but a woman may think otherwise. A marriage is built on mutual compromise so... That said, I'm single and I can do whatever the hell I want.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #4,438 of 15,268
I typically work my gear (PC, audio, sport) purchases around holidays as gifts I pick up and put in her closet to ''give" me or at the end of a "honey do" project that I've done for my wife. Seems to work well...

:wink:

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #4,440 of 15,268
  I'm not married (happily) but I were, I'd buy her a Fendi handbag or something. Let's face it, buying expensive audio gear is not a necessity, for ordinary people it's wasted money. We may think a Fendi handbag is wasted money, but a woman may think otherwise. A marriage is built on mutual compromise so... That said, I'm single and I can do whatever the hell I want.

Women with a expensive taste in shoes and bags are so darn unattractive..
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back