Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 17, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #4,171 of 15,268
I would have been upset too, and the complain is legit, $300 (amazon.com price) isn't $5 ear-buds.
Yeah it's sound amazing, comfort too but i really see a problem of QC here, not to mention problems that users reporting with the stock cable (imbalance).

I was gonna make a joke, but i really don't think you risk anything, but still it can be very troublesome to have ink spreading anywhere you put your headphone on.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #4,172 of 15,268
I personally don't care about the dye being potentially hazardous, which I HIGHLY doubt it is, to me, its more a matter of mess.  I don't want a product that is going to make a mess or stain things it comes into contact with.  That is the issue for me.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #4,173 of 15,268
I've used the X2 for about 5 months, and it has only left a stain on my sheets once, being absolutely minor (as in a very, very small area), and easily washed off. I haven't seen a stain since, and I'm always letting it rest on my sheets.

Pretty sure that whatever was gonna rub off has rubbed off.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #4,174 of 15,268
I've decided to give them another chance, the comfort of the HD700 is still not giving me the enjoyment I was used to with the X2 (yes I'm the guy I sold them because of the weight). Thing is they're out of stock everywhere in the Uk!

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #4,176 of 15,268
  I personally don't care about the dye being potentially hazardous, which I HIGHLY doubt it is, to me, its more a matter of mess.  I don't want a product that is going to make a mess or stain things it comes into contact with.  That is the issue for me.

Without knowing specifically what it is, there is no way to know for sure.  Being a chemist, I'm pretty familiar with toxicity of dyes.  Many of them are acutely toxic and some are carcinogens.  Again, without knowing what  this is, there is no way to know for sure, but I wouldn't assume anything.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #4,177 of 15,268
I just returned my X1's and the new pair I received does not leak the dye anymore (I know this is an X2 thread)

Both the X1 & X2 have the same ink leaking issues, so I would recommend having them replaced by Philips- they may have fixed the pads with the newest release of X2's.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #4,178 of 15,268
I was checking mine out last night. I don't see how that dye could come off unless you were sweating, or the cans were in a damp environment. I don't see any other way it could happen. Anyway, no such luck finding replacement pads though. Anyone find any?

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #4,179 of 15,268
  I just returned my X1's and the new pair I received does not leak the dye anymore (I know this is an X2 thread)

Both the X1 & X2 have the same ink leaking issues, so I would recommend having them replaced by Philips- they may have fixed the pads with the newest release of X2's.

They begin to leak when they accumulate enough oil from your skin. How new are your replacements?

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #4,180 of 15,268
This is ridiculous, the only dyes I've ever heard of that can be carcinogenic are AZO dyes, and only a specific group, none of which are aloud to be used in Europe.

You would also need very high levels, those at risk were people who were involved in the manufacturing of products being exposed to high levels over a long period of time.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #4,181 of 15,268
Is there a way to get theses HM5 Earpads in Europe, for those with the X2 problematic ink issue ?

BTW I thought that mine wasn't alien, i was wrong
very_evil_smiley.gif
, but it's not even bothering me, just little small dark violet dots on a white paper hardly noticeable.

Still, i'm wondering what Philips have to say in this matter.
Care, grey aliens coming near you
popcorn.gif

Edit : Not mine, from a Amazon review (source : http://www.amazon.com/review/R2QFC1BR7EOU2L )

They begin to leak when they accumulate enough oil from your skin. How new are your replacements?

So, if that right, the more i use them the more they start leaking ink.
The 2 image I have posted make me worry a little bit... :/

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #4,182 of 15,268
Amazon has the HM5.

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #4,185 of 15,268
  This is ridiculous, the only dyes I've ever heard of that can be carcinogenic are AZO dyes, and only a specific group, none of which are aloud to be used in Europe.

You would also need very high levels, those at risk were people who were involved in the manufacturing of products being exposed to high levels over a long period of time.

Any aniline based dye is  toxic and many are possible or likely carcinogen.  I'm not saying that's what this is.  I don't know, and neither do you.

Do you think a toxic compound can't find its way into a product?  There have been multiple cases of adulterated and toxic pet food and baby formula coming out of China and sold in the US (resulted in both animal and human deaths), so I don't think its impossible that something hazardous could make it out of a Chinese factory  into a headphone pad.  And China (along with many other nations) doesn't have a great record of protecting workers' rights, so I wouldn't base much on workers' safety.

I'm not saying it IS hazardous, just that I would be concerned and would expect an answer from Philips (if they even know what it is).  If you're not concerned, great.   But ridiculous?  I don't think so.  May be harmless, may not be.  Fortunately, it is relatively small amount that leeches out, but its still unacceptable on several levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back