Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 17, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #4,186 of 15,268
Is there a way to get theses HM5 Earpads in Europe, for those with the X2 problematic ink issue ?

BTW I thought that mine wasn't alien, i was wrong
very_evil_smiley.gif
, but it's not even bothering me, just little small dark violet dots on a white paper hardly noticeable.

Still, i'm wondering what Philips have to say in this matter.
Care, grey aliens coming near you
popcorn.gif

Edit : Not mine, from a Amazon review (source : http://www.amazon.com/review/R2QFC1BR7EOU2L )

So, if that right, the more i use them the more they start leaking ink.
The 2 image I have posted make me worry a little bit... :/

Amazon UK has both Velour and pleather version. The other amazon eu i think only have the pleather version.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #4,187 of 15,268
Philips wasn't prepared for this kind of success. The lack of support and the poor availability of the X2s makes them look like a small and clumsy company. 
You make an headphone with replaceable pads and you don't even sell them? They probably can't even keep up with those needed for the retail headphones. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #4,194 of 15,268
You say the problem is over time accumulation of oils? I've had mine since I think the end of the K7XX drop, where I chose this over the K7XX and have no oil problems yet. Tested it with some tissues and paper, nothing. Really unfortunate for you guys. But I still don't think it's from oil problems. I know myself my body produces a good amount of oil everywhere, including behind the ear and near the top of my throat (where the bottom of the earcup rests).
Nonetheless sucks for those with the unlucky pairs. I would just exchange it by directly asking phillips (what have they said about this?) or amazon. If both are bad I'd just get something else.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #4,195 of 15,268
Before I could send mine in for replacement, they asked for pictures of the leakage. I laid the headphones on a piece of printer paper over night and in the morning took a picture of the blue spots that formed from where the pads touched.

On the phone I expressed concern that I would receive another pair that would again leak ink, but the rep assured me that the new pair I would receive would not leak dye.

The new pair has not yet leaked any dye when placed on printer paper for almost 24 hours. We will see in time if what they promised me will hold true...

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #4,196 of 15,268
  Before I could send mine in for replacement, they asked for pictures of the leakage. I laid the headphones on a piece of printer paper over night and in the morning took a picture of the blue spots that formed from where the pads touched.

On the phone I expressed concern that I would receive another pair that would again leak ink, but the rep assured me that the new pair I would receive would not leak dye.

The new pair has not yet leaked any dye when placed on printer paper for almost 24 hours. We will see in time if what they promised me will hold true...

How long have you had the new ones?

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #4,197 of 15,268
I totally get it. I suffer the same fate. It's human nature to always be dissatisifed in one way or the other.

It's too bad it's so damn hard to satisfy ourselves. Even when you get the thing you've always wanted, it isn't long before oher things are desired. And getting it is never as good as you'd expect.

Boy, I'm in such a positive mood tonight!

Sounds like you could use a little Buddhism :sunglasses:

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #4,198 of 15,268

I have washed earpads quite often especially with beyer pads and always see a bit of dye leakage in the water afterwards. Unless it's leaving black rings around your ears like some kind of practical joke I shouldn't worry about it. If it's such an issue don't send them back, just remove the pads and shampoo them in a sink. Make sure you rinse all traces of soap from them and leave them to dry naturally. Problem solved, you're welcome :wink:

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #4,199 of 15,268
  Any aniline based dye is  toxic and many are possible or likely carcinogen.  I'm not saying that's what this is.  I don't know, and neither do you.

Do you think a toxic compound can't find its way into a product?  There have been multiple cases of adulterated and toxic pet food and baby formula coming out of China and sold in the US (resulted in both animal and human deaths), so I don't think its impossible that something hazardous could make it out of a Chinese factory  into a headphone pad.  And China (along with many other nations) doesn't have a great record of protecting workers' rights, so I wouldn't base much on workers' safety.

I'm not saying it IS hazardous, just that I would be concerned and would expect an answer from Philips (if they even know what it is).  If you're not concerned, great.   But ridiculous?  I don't think so.  May be harmless, may not be.  Fortunately, it is relatively small amount that leeches out, but its still unacceptable on several levels.

My point is we live in a world surrounded by dye, everything you have just stated applies to those to, if this dye worries you then so should every dyed product on the market.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #4,200 of 15,268
  Any aniline based dye is  toxic and many are possible or likely carcinogen.  I'm not saying that's what this is.  I don't know, and neither do you.

Do you think a toxic compound can't find its way into a product?  There have been multiple cases of adulterated and toxic pet food and baby formula coming out of China and sold in the US (resulted in both animal and human deaths), so I don't think its impossible that something hazardous could make it out of a Chinese factory  into a headphone pad.  And China (along with many other nations) doesn't have a great record of protecting workers' rights, so I wouldn't base much on workers' safety.

I'm not saying it IS hazardous, just that I would be concerned and would expect an answer from Philips (if they even know what it is).  If you're not concerned, great.   But ridiculous?  I don't think so.  May be harmless, may not be.  Fortunately, it is relatively small amount that leeches out, but its still unacceptable on several levels.

All jokes aside, what do you suggest we do about this ? Phillips has been made aware of this issue some time ago. What, if any thing they have done or will be doing I don't think anyone knows. I also believe at some point it is up to the consumer to buy or not to buy, with the information that is available. If this was as troublesome to me as it seems to be to some, I would be contacting Phillips and asking for the MSDS on the dye. If not,  then I would return or sell the headphones. So again, what do you suggest people do at this point ?  However, rehashing the topic on here over and over is not doing anyone anygood !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back