Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 8, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #3,151 of 15,268
I may have to rma my X2. Going through music and then sweeps, i just realized the bass is non existent on one cup until about 60hz, and the other goes quite a bit further down. This causes sub bass to fire entirely just on one side. Looks like I'll be without it for awhile. This is gonna hurt, since i love it so much. Back to my 15G.

For gaming its no big deal, since so much of it focuses on 60 hz and above to begin with... which is why i didn't notice, since i haven't been playing music much.

Bass imbalance is one of the worst you can have.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #3,152 of 15,268
I may have to rma my X2. Going through music and then sweeps, i just realized the bass is non existent on one cup until about 60hz, and the other goes quite a bit further down. This causes sub bass to fire entirely just on one side. Looks like I'll be without it for awhile. This is gonna hurt, since i love it so much. Back to my 15G.

For gaming its no big deal, since so much of it focuses on 60 hz and above to begin with... which is why i didn't notice, since i haven't been playing music much.

Is there a simple way to check if my pair has channel imbalance, too?

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #3,154 of 15,268
I use Sinegen. (Just be careful of bloatware, as I believe it will automatically install Sweetpacks, which is a annoying, so make sure you uninstall that asap).

Sinegen has frequency sliders. You turn 'Power' on, and adjust the slider to your left. I wouldn't touch anything else other than the source, the power button, and the large slider.

NOTE: ALL HEADPHONES HAVE CHANNEL IMBALANCES THAT USUALLY HAPPEN IN THE UPPER MID TO TREBLE RANGES. No headphone is perfect. That being said, bass imbalances are usually well mitigated in headphones. It is normal for headphones to sway one from side to side in volume as you move up the frequencies. What you want is for the bass to mids to stay generally center in your head. Also, make sure there isn't a very large range that stays on one side, or goes completely silent on one cup (like my bass on one cup below 60hz).

Don't take any imabalnce as your headphone being faulty, because all headphones will exhibit some imbalances here and there. I'm only sending mine in for repair because the bass imbalance is quite obvious, as if one driver wasn't working at all under 60hz. Considering my taste in music tends to rely on bass, that's unacceptable. Had it been a partial imbalance, it would be ok.

Stay near the volume pot when you test, as you'll wanna raise the volume when you to the lower ranges for testing the bass.

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #3,155 of 15,268
^^ Sorry to hear it MLE. Maybe they will expedite the shipping for you.

Wanted to report that I've been auditioning the ifi micro idsd this weekend. The pair is very very good with the x2. I'll report back later with some detailed thoughts for those who might be considering the micro for the x2. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #3,157 of 15,268
is the dragonfly 1.2 enough on it's own?
Need something compact for the macbook.

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #3,158 of 15,268
^^ Yes. It's fine. While I'd say that there is some scale with the x2, it's rather modest IMO and sounds quite good with even portable amps and the dragonfly is no exception. I heard the dragonfly/x2 a few weeks ago at a friends house here in Atlanta and was impressed with just how good the x2 performed. 

The desktop amp that I've been using with the x2 for the past few weeks is the Asgard 2 which I find is a very good pairing. The A2 does a great job with bass control and articulation and sweetens the mids a touch. But honestly the dragonfly was very close...the differences are subtle and only for those wanting that last five percent and are willing to pay up for it. 

The ifi micro idsd is exceptional with the x2. It takes a little tweaking and experimenting though. Normal power setting...bump the sensitivity from off to high (not ulta). Also the sub bass modulation on the micro is stellar. It's the best I've ever used on any amp...very subtle with no bloom or looseness added. The ifi may end up knocking the Asgard 2/uberfrost off my desk. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #3,159 of 15,268
Is there a big difference between idsd nano and micro in how well they sound/drive the x2?
I am looking for a dac and amp. Cant decide between idsd nano, o2 odac, denon da300, and magni2/vali+modi2. Or if even the fulla can drive them well.

Anyone heard the x2's with these dac/amps and recommend a good matching combo?

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #3,161 of 15,268
Is there a big difference between idsd nano and micro in how well they sound/drive the x2?
I am looking for a dac and amp. Cant decide between idsd nano, o2 odac, denon da300, and magni2/vali+modi2. Or if even the fulla can drive them well.

Anyone heard the x2's with these dac/amps and recommend a good matching combo?

I'm using X2s with a fulla. They sound pretty great, def much better than the macbook air phone out. With the iDSD micro you'll probably get a larger soundstage and everything should be more refined with more air. But imho the SQ gains might not be commensurate with the higher price tag but that's subjective.

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #3,162 of 15,268

If you got them from Amazon they will usually send you a new item immediately and require you to return the defective item within 30 days. So you can keep the bad ones until the new ones arrive. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #3,163 of 15,268
Can someone who has the x2 and lcd2.2 compare the bass? I've owned the lcd2 before but it's been a while. I would certainly expect the lcd2 to be the better performer but I think that the x2 is very competitive. 

popcorn.gif

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #3,164 of 15,268
If you got them from Amazon they will usually send you a new item immediately and require you to return the defective item within 30 days. So you can keep the bad ones until the new ones arrive. 

I'm out of the 30 day range... They extended the return day period of holiday purchases to January 31st, so i noticed the flaw over a week too late.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #3,165 of 15,268
I'm out of the 30 day range... They extended the return day period of holiday purchases to January 31st, so i noticed the flaw over a week too late.

Sorry about that MLE. I'm not sure what recourse you'd have at this point. Possibly you could contact Philips directly and ask for a replacement. They should still be under a manufacturers warranty. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back