Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 15, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #2,386 of 15,268
  Some have reported HM5 pads worsen the sound, so I would not recommend that. I wish Philips sold earpads though, earpads that tune the sound slightly. Like Oppo did with PM headphones.

Where can I get some Special edition Bass plus cushions?  
Because you know, I'm all about that bass ​

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #2,387 of 15,268

Well, only one person reported that.

And I can second that. But the difference was not huge. I really liked the sound and comfort that velour HM5 earpad delivers. I didn't mod them while putting on X2. The biggest issue with the stock HM5 earpad on a X2 is that it softens the bass.

A user reported and shared some photos (sorry couldn't remember name) and told that his mod made the HM5 earpads a great sounding one (on par or may be even better than stock X2 earpads). I suggested the @Sundown to check that post. Because I have returned back to the stock X2 earpad as well. But a little modification can make them better. Although without the mods sound was still very good and close to X2 earpads. I have my explanations in the HM5 review page...

I think that's terrible. The best thing about X2 is that it offers the best, tighest and strongest bass I've ever heard from an open back dynamic headphone (some say X1 has more bass but it's said to be loose). If the bass is softened with HM5 pads, then what that one guy reported is true.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #2,388 of 15,268
These headphones are definitely changing with burn in. HD800s did not change at all, but these are changing for real. Mids more forward, sound's smoother and a little more transparent (less u shaped). They now sound detailed, smooth extended and dead neutral with great imaging and soundstage. When i first used them, they had some  kind of tizz in highs. Now it disappeared. I'm very surprised.

Exactly like my thoughts on these. I find them to have changed after burn in. More forward mids and less boomy bass.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #2,389 of 15,268
Never, ever found the mids recessed. In fact, anyone findings recessed mids on the X2 must be quite used to FORWARD mids, because the X2 mids are very on the level, and neither recessed nor forward to my ears. They sound perfectly in line with what I feel is the flat line between upfront or laidback.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #2,390 of 15,268
  Some have reported HM5 pads worsen the sound, so I would not recommend that. I wish Philips sold earpads though, earpads that tune the sound slightly. Like Oppo did with PM headphones.

Having tried many pads on different cans, I can say that how pads affect the sound can make it a "one man's trash is another man's treasure" experience.  Based on that, I wouldn't discount the HM5 pads out of hand.  Given @Sundown's problems with the stock pads, and based on my experience, I'd say the HM5 pads are worth a shot at $20 (if you can still get them from Amazon at that price).

Acoustic mods using Creatology foam or whatever + your imagination are ridiculously low cost, don't require much effort, and if done correctly are completely reversible.  One example: I taped some thick Creatology foam rings to the underside of my stock pads, as I wanted more room inside.  The result was a slight tweak of the stock sound.  The HM5 pads do change the sound more noticeably, but for me that was a good thing.

YMMV, of course.  All I'm saying is don't discount something before you've tried it yourself.

@Sundown
I'd try the serious washing mentioned earlier, with an eye to the HM5 or some other 3rd party pads.  I'd be curious how the washing goes, as well as any other pads that fit and work with the X2s.

Good luck 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #2,391 of 15,268

Having tried many pads on different cans, I can say that how pads affect the sound can make it a "one man's trash is another man's treasure" experience.  Based on that, I wouldn't discount the HM5 pads out of hand.  Given @Sundown's problems with the stock pads, and based on my experience, I'd say the HM5 pads are worth a shot at $20 (if you can still get them from Amazon at that price).

Acoustic mods using Creatology foam or whatever + your imagination are ridiculously low cost, don't require much effort, and if done correctly are completely reversible.  One example: I taped some thick Creatology foam rings to the underside of my stock pads, as I wanted more room inside.  The result was a slight tweak of the stock sound.  The HM5 pads do change the sound more noticeably, but for me that was a good thing.

YMMV, of course.  All I'm saying is don't discount something before you've tried it yourself.

@Sundown
I'd try the serious washing mentioned earlier, with an eye to the HM5 or some other 3rd party pads.  I'd be curious how the washing goes, as well as any other pads that fit and work with the X2s.

Good luck 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for chiming in @ThurstonX  ,  I feel sorry that I couldn't remember your name while writing my post.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #2,392 of 15,268
  Thanks for chiming in @ThurstonX  ,  I feel sorry that I couldn't remember your name while writing my post.

That's OK, I forgot you were the one who suggested the serious washing.  It's all good 
smily_headphones1.gif

I just read your HM5 pads review.  Good stuff.  I'm curious about the cork mod.  I'll have to look for some of that single-sided adhesive stuff.  I feel some mad modding coming on
wink.gif
  It's also time to go back to the stock pads so I can compare to the HM5 velours.  The change in the bass doesn't surprise me much, as stiffer foam tends to produce tighter bass, most else being equal.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #2,393 of 15,268

That's OK, I forgot you were the one who suggested the serious washing.  It's all good 
smily_headphones1.gif

I just read your HM5 pads review.  Good stuff.  I'm curious about the cork mod.  I'll have to look for some of that single-sided adhesive stuff.  I feel some mad modding coming on
wink.gif
  It's also time to go back to the stock pads so I can compare to the HM5 velours.  The change in the bass doesn't surprise me much, as stiffer foam tends to produce tighter bass, most else being equal.

Thanks mate.

I have checked  the inner material of the original X2 earpads (after reading your modification posts) and surprised to see that the material resemblance of the original X2 earpad back inner ring part to the Creatology foam. So I will not be surprised to hear that the sound doesn't change much /or even get better.

I will try cork mod and Creatology mod for X2 (according to your descriptions) when I have time.  Now I have "my long time love" AKG K340 in my hands for re-modding
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #2,394 of 15,268
I really cannot believe these headphones are so underestimated... there's almost no reviews on them! To all X2 owners, write a review! Everybody should see how great value they are! 
L3000.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #2,395 of 15,268
Called Philips again. They
'll refund me what I paid through Amazon once they receive them which I shipped out today. Nice knowing you fellow X2 owners. The itchy ear pads that bleed dye just didn't cut it for me. I've have cheaper Sennheiser headphones that didn't have that problem. So now I've settled with the HD600's. Hopefully I'll see you all again sometime once more of you encounter the same issue I've had and bring the attention to Philips so they can fix the issue and make different ear pads. If they made velour pads just like Sennheisers that would be great. Not that crushed velvet type cloth. :frowning2:

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #2,396 of 15,268
  Called Philips again. They
'll refund me what I paid through Amazon once they receive them which I shipped out today. Nice knowing you fellow X2 owners. The itchy ear pads that bleed dye just didn't cut it for me. I've have cheaper Sennheiser headphones that didn't have that problem. So now I've settled with the HD600's. Hopefully I'll see you all again sometime once more of you encounter the same issue I've had and bring the attention to Philips so they can fix the issue and make different ear pads. If they made velour pads just like Sennheisers that would be great. Not that crushed velvet type cloth. :frowning2:

Awww...
Sad seeing you let them go.  Did you try modding any other pads on?

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #2,398 of 15,268
Jan 15, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #2,399 of 15,268
  lol
Still though, all you had to do was buy a pair of beyer pads and put them on.

They most likely would be a loose fit and move around. I'm all about perfection. Even the X2 headband bugged me when I would use them while I cook. Whenever I would take a step, the headband would move and make a loud rubbing noise. Very noticeable while listening to podcasts. If the Beyerdynamic pads are simply slipped on then I'd go that route. But gluing them is no bueno.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #2,400 of 15,268
  They most likely would be a loose fit and move around. I'm all about perfection. Even the X2 headband bugged me when I would use them while I cook. Whenever I would take a step, the headband would move and make a loud rubbing noise. Very noticeable while listening to podcasts. If the Beyerdynamic pads are simply slipped on then I'd go that route. But gluing them is no bueno.

Duct tape then?  
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back