Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 14, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,357 of 15,268

I am interested in this same comparison.  I am coming from the SR80 (the old one...)  From what I can gather, the SR225 is probably the Grado to get.  

In the meantime - what I end up doing in your situation is to look for comparisons by extension...this X2 thread (and some reviews) has a number of comparisons to some other headphone, such as the AKG k701 and Senn HD598, HD600 and HD650.  So search head fi for a comparison of the Grado's and one of these head phones.  For example - searching for HD598 and AKG k701 and the grados give you this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608933/sennheiser-hd-598-akg-k701-akg-q701-or-grado-sr

And:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/420925/the-akg-k-701-vs-grado-sr-225-vs-shure-se530-throwdown

Now search the X2 thread (this one) for HD598 and AKG K701.  Pay attention to what they describe for sound signature and other aspects important to you.  My current SR80s...I want to get better bass, a less aggressive midrange, up the build quality, and not get to edgy on the higher end, easy to drive.  So the X2 seems like the way to go for me.  My only concern is that we are in the honeymoon love period and so many folks are on the bandwagon...might be because the X2 is really that good, but could get a backlash sometime....

Thanks - I too have been doing some extrapolation. However, reviews on the SR 325e (those that are favorable that is) are very similar to the glowing reviews of the X2!  But for same $$, possibly same audio quality, the Philips seem to be ahead when it comes to comfort and style! Anyway, I'd sure like to hear from someone who's had experience w/both.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #2,358 of 15,268
  Impressions on X2
Having owned HD600s, wich i loved very much but ended up selling after getting some HD800s, I have to say these are clearly better. Yes, better than HD600s and near HD800s. I'm the one who spent 1200 dollars for HD800s anyway :p
Vs HD600s: X2 has much better soundstage,sound is more realistic; definitely more enjoyable sound (especially bass is more extended, textured and present, one of the weaknesses of HD600 IMO), highs are more airy, much more holographical sounding but still lightly warm and smooth sound. Mids on X2 are more neutral( I always found HD600 to have a little peak at 3-4 khz) but equally natural. HD600 is near neutral, but there is a little veil, because it is a little warm but with not very good bass extension and forward mids around 3-4 khz. 
deadhorse.gif

VS HD800s:X2 has a little less wide sound,separation, detail and articulation on par. Still more enjoyable, but HD800's sound is a little more transparent (faster, more control, less distortion?) but not by much. still X2 has better depth, more credibility and a more balanced sound, in fact they are very good even without amp. HD800 has a more analytical sound (it is not bright, but bass is very fast and it presents detail in a forward sounding way)
These are the most enjoyable headphones I have ever heard. Neutral but fun, with both a hint of warmth and of sparkle. Fenomenal. 
dt880smile.png

Comfort and build quality are very high. Pads are very comfy (no problems of ink leak), headband almost disappears. More comfortable on ears than HD600, about on par with HD800s. Cable has much better quality than HD600's stock but seems less high end than HD800's.
Price/performance ratio is the best i have ever seen in audio. If these were selling for 900$, it would still be good value. Yes they are that good
I have had them for few days (almost two weeks), thus the sound may change ... will post if it happens.

Look is very good for the headphones by themselves, not so much on head because of the big headband system,looks a bit weird on head. Still very sexy though 
biggrin.gif

Very informative, comparative review. Thanks for sharing. I couldn't compare mine with the Senn's which you mention but X2 is better to my ears than all of my AKG's (including the K340 electrostatic-dynamic). The only one headphone that come close to it is a Beyer DT150 in my profile (though it is a closed can so soundstage is no where near the X2).

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #2,359 of 15,268

Very informative, comparative review. Thanks for sharing. I couldn't compare mine with the Senn's which you mention but X2 is better to my ears than all of my AKG's (including the K340 electrostatic-dynamic). The only one headphone that come close to it is a Beyer DT150 in my profile (though it is a closed can so soundstage is no where near the X2).

You're welcome 
biggrin.gif
 Curious to see if and how sound changes trough burn in

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #2,360 of 15,268
You're welcome :D  Curious to see if and how sound changes trough burn in

Did you check my X2 review page for burn-in periods? It only gets better. 200h needed for complete settlement.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #2,361 of 15,268
Did you check my X2 review page for burn-in periods? It only gets better. 200h needed for complete settlement.

Yeah I did , that's why I have these expectations 
biggrin.gif
 I'm leaving them playing music non-stop 
L3000.gif

P.S.: you want a more HD650ish sound? Try placing HD6xx foam, cut to fit, over the drivers(under the pads). Hd6xx sound with better extension, linearity and imaging.

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #2,362 of 15,268
WOW, after reading so many fantastic reviews about X2, I'm pulling the trigger although it's little over my budget but I know it's gonna worth every penny. hopefully. I was about to get V-Moda M100 but reading that it's not suitable for heavy metal genres. thanks for everyone who reviewed the X2 and shared your experience.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #2,363 of 15,268
  WOW, after reading so many fantastic reviews about X2, I'm pulling the trigger although it's little over my budget but I know it's gonna worth every penny. hopefully. I was about to get V-Moda M100 but reading that it's not suitable for heavy metal genres. thanks for everyone who reviewed the X2 and shared your experience.

It's worth it and more. Good choice.

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #2,364 of 15,268
I received my X2 five days ago and have been burning them in. I'm very pleased with its sound - noticeably better than the AKG K712 Pro. As others have said, I agree that the X2 is the best-value indoor headphone right now.

Having also owned the V-Moda M100, I can say with certainty that the X2 is far superior as an indoor headphone. Granted, the M100 is better as a traveling headphone (closed-back, smaller size, folding mechanism, etc.) but, unfortunately, sounds as though it has "gaps" in its soundstage.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #2,365 of 15,268
Hi all, I am just starting this journey into over-ear headphones (been using high-end Shure IEMs for years, but I can't wear them all day while working). I returned my PSBs (sounded amazing, but too hot/tight) and got the X2s instead. Comfort is excellent and overall I like the sound, but the mid-highs and highs seem a little harsh to me. In the old days when I was a budding young audio enthusiast, we would call this characteristic "bright" - just a slight harshness or overemphasis in the higher frequencies. The PSBs were honey-smooth in the higher ranges, where the X2s seem a little bit abrasive to me. Has anyone else experienced this?

This quality is evident with or without DAC/AMP (Fulla Schiit). I haven't tried swapping out the cable and I'm probably only 40 hours of listening in. I'm ambivalent about burn-in - if it was so critical, I don't understand why manufacturers wouldn't do it beforehand (at least on mid-to-high-end equipment, which this may not be); I also wonder if it's more about your brain adjusting to the sound rather than the sound itself changing. But I'm willing to give these more time before rendering judgment, if the consensus is that burn-in really improves this issue.

However, if this slight brightness is common, I might need some guidance from the kind folks here on procuring similarly-priced (and equally comfortable) indoor headphones that are more neutral at the high-end, or swapping out amplification to something warmer. I *love* the comfort of these, and that is a huge factor as I need to be able to wear them 6-8 hours per day.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Source material is the same that I used with the PSBs (lossless), so I don't think that's the issue. I listen to mostly rock, jazz and electronica. Thanks!

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #2,366 of 15,268
So I am back to update my thoughts on the X2. When I got them 2 weeks ago, they were good sounding, but had a bit too much bass that overpowered the mids (vocals). I thought vocals sounded distant and were hard to follow. My ath-m50s were more enjoyable in that area. So I gave these around 150 hours of burn in and things have changed now. These headphones absolutely ROCK. After burn in, bass tightened and mids opened up. Vocals sound very natural making vocals on my m50 sound nasal and artificial. Things have never sounded this clear to my ears. Soundstage wide and deep and instrument seperation is crazy. I can pick every single sound effortlessly. If I had to, I wd buy these headphones again even for $500. They are that good to me now. They pair very very well with my dacmagic xs and ibasso DX90.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #2,368 of 15,268
Audiophile quality sound reproduction, balanced sound quality tight focused bass, clear mid range, smooth treble and 3D soundstage.
Replaced factory headphone cable (too long) with a custom entry level cable from Charleston Cable Co. http://www.charlestoncablecompany.com/ to my surprise the headphones perform even better with incredible instrument separation and depth. Although not necessary I use a portable amp with the X2 and the combination of the custom cable + amp results in audiophile sound quality!

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #2,369 of 15,268
  Hi all, I am just starting this journey into over-ear headphones (been using high-end Shure IEMs for years, but I can't wear them all day while working). I returned my PSBs (sounded amazing, but too hot/tight) and got the X2s instead. Comfort is excellent and overall I like the sound, but the mid-highs and highs seem a little harsh to me. In the old days when I was a budding young audio enthusiast, we would call this characteristic "bright" - just a slight harshness or overemphasis in the higher frequencies. The PSBs were honey-smooth in the higher ranges, where the X2s seem a little bit abrasive to me. Has anyone else experienced this?

This quality is evident with or without DAC/AMP (Fulla Schiit). I haven't tried swapping out the cable and I'm probably only 40 hours of listening in. I'm ambivalent about burn-in - if it was so critical, I don't understand why manufacturers wouldn't do it beforehand (at least on mid-to-high-end equipment, which this may not be); I also wonder if it's more about your brain adjusting to the sound rather than the sound itself changing. But I'm willing to give these more time before rendering judgment, if the consensus is that burn-in really improves this issue.

However, if this slight brightness is common, I might need some guidance from the kind folks here on procuring similarly-priced (and equally comfortable) indoor headphones that are more neutral at the high-end, or swapping out amplification to something warmer. I *love* the comfort of these, and that is a huge factor as I need to be able to wear them 6-8 hours per day.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Source material is the same that I used with the PSBs (lossless), so I don't think that's the issue. I listen to mostly rock, jazz and electronica. Thanks!

I think it is a matter of getting accustomed to a certain sound signature.. when I first got my HD600s years ago, wich are known for being a little laid back, i found them bright at the beginning.

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #2,370 of 15,268
  Audiophile quality sound reproduction, balanced sound quality tight focused bass, clear mid range, smooth treble and 3D soundstage.
Replaced factory headphone cable (too long) with a custom entry level cable from Charleston Cable Co. http://www.charlestoncablecompany.com/ to my surprise the headphones perform even better with incredible instrument separation and depth. Although not necessary I use a portable amp with the X2 and the combination of the custom cable + amp results in audiophile sound quality!

Wow.  I think they used Weebly or something to host and design their website.  Nothing wrong with that, just haven't seen Weebly used for more professional websites.  
BTW, I couldn't find a 3.5mm to 3.5mm aux cable on the entry level part of the website.  When you said custom, did you mean that it was custom made for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back