Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 23, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,832 of 15,268
I agree, great comparison!

Normally I would believe that the X2 would scale better given the fact that it seem to need more power.....

Thank you Peter.

Thank you for your impressions. Very helpful! It seems the P7 can switch gear and scale up better than the X2 with proper amping. However, the X2 is the slightly better all-rounder as i can understand from your impressions.
which one is warmer?
and one last questions, which one would you be able to turn the volume higher while still sounding pleasant and not harsh?
thank you very much!

Thanks Lofthanza. Yes, X2 is the better allrounder unless you need a can that is portable. Both are warm sounding cans but not overtly warm. If it helps you, NAD HP50 is warmer than these both. X2 is slightly warmer than P7. HP50 > X2 > P7 in terms of warmness.

You can turn the volume levels in both cans to really high level without distortion. X2 has a slightly higher impedance rating than P7 (22 ohms against 30 ohms) and hence I believe it performs better with higher output amps equipment.

One of the biggest benefits I see in  both the equipment is that it scales up superbly with better gear (I have personally heard P7 with Chord Hugo though I no longer have that and I was able to hear X2 with my friends Fiio E10 for a short duration).

I am personally focusing on ifi Micro idsd and now a bit interested about Explorer 2. I need to do a bit more research before I decide.

Just a minor update: Now my X2 is close to 40 hours and I am seeing a remarkable improvement in SQ already. Sound stage seems to be have expanded more, bass settled and mids having a real impact. It kind of starting to feel as if it's pulling ahead of P7 now. However, once I get hold of a proper DAC/AMP I'll update my findings.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #1,833 of 15,268
If Funai is smart they will LEAVE PHILIPS ALONE and just rake in the profits. Funai is the opposite end of the spectrum from the quality of Philips.  They are the company that make $49 Blu Ray players and $159 32 inch LCD T,V. No insult aimed at Funai owners. It is just a matter of quality. Think about a pair of Philips X1/ 28 phones for $300 compared to a $159 Funai 32 inch LCD. See my point?

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #1,834 of 15,268
Heyo! So I'm new here and more or less new to headphone goodness in general. 

I have an Audio Technica m50 (lacking the x) and the Sennheiser 598s. I do love them both, for different reasons, but I'm now looking to get a nice set of phones that are really a step up from both of them. 

I just want to be sure this purchase would be the right one as I'm thinking it's gonna be my christmas present to me!

I guess I'm really wondering how they're going to compare to the cans I've become accustomed to now. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #1,835 of 15,268
Heyo! So I'm new here and more or less new to headphone goodness in general. 

I have an Audio Technica m50 (lacking the x) and the Sennheiser 598s. I do love them both, for different reasons, but I'm now looking to get a nice set of phones that are really a step up from both of them. 

I just want to be sure this purchase would be the right one as I'm thinking it's gonna be my christmas present to me!

I guess I'm really wondering how they're going to compare to the cans I've become accustomed to now. 

I haven't heard the headphones you currently have, but I have owned and listened to a lot of flagships.

The x2s easily compete with headphones twice their price. They definitely need an amp to come into their own. They're honestly one of the most enjoyable headphones I've listened to. Everything is so balanced and present with a touch of warmth. They're quite tactile in a sense. Theyre soubd signature is somewhat reminiscent of the LCD 2s signature with a bit more sparkle. Definitely one of the best dynamic cans I've heard.

The best thing about them though is Philips not only managed to engineer a great sounding headphone, they also managed to create a very comfortable and sturdy one. This IMO is a feat not many headphones rise to.

I doubt you'd regret your purchase.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,836 of 15,268
I haven't heard the headphones you currently have, but I have owned and listened to a lot of flagships.

The x2s easily compete with headphones twice their price. They definitely need an amp to come into their own. They're honestly one of the most enjoyable headphones I've listened to. Everything is so balanced and present with a touch of warmth. They're quite tactile in a sense. Theyre soubd signature is somewhat reminiscent of the LCD 2s signature with a bit more sparkle. Definitely one of the best dynamic cans I've heard.

The best thing about them though is Philips not only managed to engineer a great sounding headphone, they also managed to create a very comfortable and sturdy one. This IMO is a feat not many headphones rise to.

Going from the plethora of reviews and impressions, if @vnsfurs is looking for an upgrade to the M50, then the X2 will most definitely be that upgrade. From the HD598, it's more of a sidegrade since they don't have a similar sound signature to call one an upgrade over the other. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,837 of 15,268
If Funai is smart they will LEAVE PHILIPS ALONE and just rake in the profits. Funai is the opposite end of the spectrum from the quality of Philips.  They are the company that make $49 Blu Ray players and $159 32 inch LCD T,V. No insult aimed at Funai owners. It is just a matter of quality. Think about a pair of Philips X1/ 28 phones for $300 compared to a $159 Funai 32 inch LCD. See my point?

Philips pulled out of the Funai deal around this time last year and I believe the parties are in the middle of a lawsuit. If I'm not mistaken, Funai still has North American distribution rights which may explain why the release of the X2 was delayed and L2 is nowhere to be found in the US.

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #1,838 of 15,268
  Going from the plethora of reviews and impressions, if @vnsfurs is looking for an upgrade to the M50, then the X2 will most definitely be that upgrade. From the HD598, it's more of a sidegrade since they don't have a similar sound signature to call one an upgrade over the other. 

Thanks so much for the input, you guys! 

I've been reading up on the X2 and this is the general consensus. I'm kind of a worrier when it comes to big purchases so I like to be absolutely sure that it'll be worth it. 

I think I'm totally gonna order them, but on Christmas of course. 

They sound like such a miracle, sigh, and here I was only kinda hoping to be dissuaded give what I already have ;P  

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #1,839 of 15,268
Anyone thinks these are great headphones for Mahler symphonies? and solo piano?

I'm currently using a K501 with V200 amp, which is great midrange wise... but with symphonies I miss bass

-edit-  I used to have a GS1000 and Grace M902 which I used for symphonics, but I didn't like the bass bleeding into the midrange

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,842 of 15,268

That's encouraging--I'm getting more and more excited. 

Don't expect an outrageous amount of improvement, differences in sq are GREATLY exaggerated on head-fi.  Expect improvements to be slight.  If you get your hopes up too high, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,843 of 15,268
  Don't expect an outrageous amount of improvement, differences in sq are GREATLY exaggerated on head-fi.  Expect improvements to be slight.  If you get your hopes up too high, you'll be sorely disappointed.

That could be the case with even a headphone like Stax. You get your hopes too high, it can be killed :). Having said that, liking a headphone or not would be based on your sound signature preference and no matter what X2s are much better than HD598.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #1,844 of 15,268

Yeah, totally. 

I remember when I first got my 598's, I remember that I was expecting a nice leap in sound quality from my m50s. They obviously sounded different (one closed and one open), but I remember feeling a bit let down. 

My eyes are more open now, but I don't think that'll ever stop me from being excited about getting some new phones :D

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,845 of 15,268

I cant agree more. I have been disappointed with every single audio purchase i made coz of the too high expectations i'd had. I just learned later to appreciate those slight, and sometimes subtle, differences between my gear and my new upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back