Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 11, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #15,121 of 15,268
Yeah got it.

Will see if it sounds better than the way more expensive B&W Px8 (closed, wireless, ANC headphone)…
I hadn't listened to my X2 in years, but I pulled it out of its box last week and listened for a few minutes off of my Mojo. In technical performance, it doesn't fare well at all vs the PX8, except when it comes to soundstage. Its got a much wider stage than the PX8. The PX8 takes it pretty easily when it comes to everything else, except for comfort. The PX8 is superior in regards to imaging and separation, to detail retrival, to dynamics, and to timbre.

That being said, for the money, the X2 is great...especially for what you paid for it. It's extremely comfortable, fun to listen to, and that soundstage and comfort makes it great for movies, and for certain genres.

Nov 11, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #15,122 of 15,268
Thanks,
At the price I have for the X2 everything will be much more expensive for sure. But I’ll try without an amp first and maybe this would be good enough for a while. My current Senn HD600 also need a new amp as it sound bloody horrible without one.
a good inexpensive tubed amplifier does both these headphones good.
IMG_20190121_142339_840.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #15,123 of 15,268
I hadn't listened to my X2 in years, but I pulled it out of its box last week and listened for a few minutes off of my Mojo. In technical performance, it doesn't fare well at all vs the PX8, except when it comes to soundstage. Its got a much wider stage than the PX8. The PX8 takes it pretty easily when it comes to everything else, except for comfort. The PX8 is superior in regards to imaging and separation, to detail retrival, to dynamics, and to timbre.

That being said, for the money, the X2 is great...especially for what you paid for it. It's extremely comfortable, fun to listen to, and that soundstage and comfort makes it great for movies, and for certain genres.
Thanks for the comparison, I do expect the X2 to be a very different animal than the PX8 and if I can get a comfy, nice and wide-sounding experience to alternate with the intimate presentation of the PX8, I will be happy.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #15,124 of 15,268
a good inexpensive tubed amplifier does both these headphones good.IMG_20190121_142339_840.jpg
Agreed, I tried them out on my Liquid Platinum recently and generally the X2's highs can sometimes tend to be a bit harsh or grainy on real clean solid-state amps, but tubes do a lot of work to smooth out the rough edges

Nov 12, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #15,125 of 15,268
Just going through my collection this morning and doing a quick comparison to the HD58X has been interesting as they're both priced very closely to each other and outstanding headphones in general.
X2HR absolutely destroys the 58X in soundstage and scale. Everything simply sounds bigger, bolder, and brawnier. However I will say it does lose in terms of articulation, especially in the bass region. It's not quite flabby or overdone but it does overstay it's welcome in some songs. It's amazing how smooth and balanced the X2HR are despite that. I'm happy to own both as they're both great headphones in their own unique ways.

Nov 12, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #15,126 of 15,268
Just going through my collection this morning and doing a quick comparison to the HD58X has been interesting as they're both priced very closely to each other and outstanding headphones in general.
X2HR absolutely destroys the 58X in soundstage and scale. Everything simply sounds bigger, bolder, and brawnier. However I will say it does lose in terms of articulation, especially in the bass region. It's not quite flabby or overdone but it does overstay it's welcome in some songs. It's amazing how smooth and balanced the X2HR are despite that. I'm happy to own both as they're both great headphones in their own unique ways.
I had both of these and quickly sent the HD598 back.. (I believe they're the same headphone? 598-58X) The HD was just flat and not musical at all.

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #15,127 of 15,268
I had both of these and quickly sent the HD598 back.. (I believe they're the same headphone? 598-58X) The HD was just flat and not musical at all.
Ah, no. I'm talking about the ones offered by Drop.com which use the HD 6 series chassis. I'm not a huge fan of most of the HD 5 series either. Here's a little group shot of them along with the HD6XX.

1668278361632.png

Nov 15, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #15,129 of 15,268
Yeah got it.

Will see if it sounds better than the way more expensive B&W Px8 (closed, wireless, ANC headphone)…
So after having received these I have now tried them for a very brief listening session, powered via my laptop and iPad. I understand this is not optimal, but here are my first impressions, comparing with my B&W PX8. I am used to closed backs and will use this as my main reference.

Sound:
- Open soundstage, wider than the PX8s intimate presentation - which is of course to be expected as the x2 is a different type of construction. Everything sounds pretty big and really cool with classical or concerts.
- Instrument separation not nearly as good as PX8. Electric guitars and drums blend together.
- Timbre not as natural, prefer the PX8 sound. Female voices sound almost artificial. Ok with acoustic guitars though.
- Bass quite ok and of course a lot for an open back headphone. Maybe a bit boomy.
- Mids appear a bit recessed but I believe it is just because I am used to a more direct sound. Punchy and clear though.
- Trebly seems a bit... grainy? But my worst problem is the really high frequencies where they are a bit sibilant and much, much less pleasing to the ear than what I am used to. Hi-hats and female voices just dont sound right. This forces me to keep the volume down.

Overall sound impressions are mixed, of course it is not a bad headphone at all - I like it and it feels OK at lower volumes and casual listening but B&W PX8 beats the Fidelio hands down at basically everything except the size of the soundstage. Maybe the sharp treble and sibilance can be controlled with the right type of DAC/AMP?

Build & Comfort:

- For the money a well built headphone, even at full retail. For the 30 USD I paid it is of course ridiculously good value. No creaks or funny noises in mine.
- Completely unusable in any environment where people may spot you. Looks ridiculous on the head. :)
- OK comfort, heavy but plush. Actually prefer the PX8 here. Feels like the suspended elastic is a bit too loose for my head shape, the ear pads end up sitting a few mms to low for my ears. Anyone with this experience and did you manage to fix it?

Side note:

I am so used to wearing wireless cans that I have now forgotten about the cable three times in an hour. My laptop was 2 inches away from being dragged to the floor...

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #15,130 of 15,268
So after having received these I have now tried them for a very brief listening session, powered via my laptop and iPad. I understand this is not optimal, but here are my first impressions, comparing with my B&W PX8. I am used to closed backs and will use this as my main reference.

Sound:
- Open soundstage, wider than the PX8s intimate presentation - which is of course to be expected as the x2 is a different type of construction. Everything sounds pretty big and really cool with classical or concerts.
- Instrument separation not nearly as good as PX8. Electric guitars and drums blend together.
- Timbre not as natural, prefer the PX8 sound. Female voices sound almost artificial. Ok with acoustic guitars though.
- Bass quite ok and of course a lot for an open back headphone. Maybe a bit boomy.
- Mids appear a bit recessed but I believe it is just because I am used to a more direct sound. Punchy and clear though.
- Trebly seems a bit... grainy? But my worst problem is the really high frequencies where they are a bit sibilant and much, much less pleasing to the ear than what I am used to. Hi-hats and female voices just dont sound right. This forces me to keep the volume down.

Overall sound impressions are mixed, of course it is not a bad headphone at all - I like it and it feels OK at lower volumes and casual listening but B&W PX8 beats the Fidelio hands down at basically everything except the size of the soundstage. Maybe the sharp treble and sibilance can be controlled with the right type of DAC/AMP?

Build & Comfort:

- For the money a well built headphone, even at full retail. For the 30 USD I paid it is of course ridiculously good value. No creaks or funny noises in mine.
- Completely unusable in any environment where people may spot you. Looks ridiculous on the head. :)
- OK comfort, heavy but plush. Actually prefer the PX8 here. Feels like the suspended elastic is a bit too loose for my head shape, the ear pads end up sitting a few mms to low for my ears. Anyone with this experience and did you manage to fix it?

Side note:

I am so used to wearing wireless cans that I have now forgotten about the cable three times in an hour. My laptop was 2 inches away from being dragged to the floor...

Nov 15, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #15,131 of 15,268

Nice review, he has a lot of good points which I agree to - but I would never reach for the Fidelio when listening to rock, female vocals or anything with rhythm - for this I prefer my other headphones and especially the Px8 is miles ahead here.

But it is nice to alternate with open headphones and ”air the ears” once in a while.

I think my ears fall into the ”sensitive to harsh treble” category. I will try and pair the Fidelios
with a decent DAC/AMP combo and see if that helps, otherwise I will use these for late night, low volume listening to soft acoustic/classical in bed, because they were actually quite comfy when laying down. My closed back headphones tend to slide a bit and break the seal if I tilt my head 90 degrees backward but for the Fidelio this is not a problem, the cups rest on the pillow alongside my head :)

Nov 16, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #15,132 of 15,268
Maybe the sharp treble and sibilance can be controlled with the right type of DAC/AMP?
That is never the way to start trying to alter the sound. First goes the headphones themselves then using EQ. A little earlier in the thread (maybe 1 page back?) I posted an EQ profile for these based off of Oratory1990's 2019 harmon template.

I would highly recommend using APO Eq and PEACE if you are not already and messing around with some of the x2hr measured harmon presets. Then just work from that and eq to your specific preference. With EQ off my x2 are honestly pretty fatiguing and not that great. With it however they are incredible.

Nov 16, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #15,133 of 15,268
I have the Loki inbound, to complete my Schiit stack. Have tried various software EQ on different HPs but not impressed. Anyone here with the Loki to suggest an EQ I might try with the X2? Thanks.

Nov 17, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #15,134 of 15,268
That is never the way to start trying to alter the sound. First goes the headphones themselves then using EQ. A little earlier in the thread (maybe 1 page back?) I posted an EQ profile for these based off of Oratory1990's 2019 harmon template.

I would highly recommend using APO Eq and PEACE if you are not already and messing around with some of the x2hr measured harmon presets. Then just work from that and eq to your specific preference. With EQ off my x2 are honestly pretty fatiguing and not that great. With it however they are incredible.
Youre right of course.
I felt I wanted to try and drive these with something proper before discarding them.
Right now, even at the price I paid (~30 USD) I feel it was a stupid purchase as I prefer my B&W PX8 for all types of music, and they are also wireless, offer ANC and do not need any gear except an iPhone (yes, I know they are in a very different price category). And even my plastic Sony XM3 has a more enjoyable treble although they are not great all rounders…

So I will put my Fidelio up for sale within short.

Nov 19, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #15,135 of 15,268
Youre right of course.
I felt I wanted to try and drive these with something proper before discarding them.
Right now, even at the price I paid (~30 USD) I feel it was a stupid purchase as I prefer my B&W PX8 for all types of music, and they are also wireless, offer ANC and do not need any gear except an iPhone (yes, I know they are in a very different price category). And even my plastic Sony XM3 has a more enjoyable treble although they are not great all rounders…

So I will put my Fidelio up for sale within short.
x2's are super easy to drive. Even a decent dongle into your PC or something bigger than a phone would work.

If you are looking for more power a cheap OP amd/dac is great. I use the Aiyima Dac a5-pro. Like 50 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back