Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 8, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #15,106 of 15,268
I bought, still have, use, and love my OG X2, which will celebrate it's 8th anniversary next month. Recently bought the X2HR at a great price as a backup pair. I'm with you on the sound difference, and find the upper region to have a smidge more clarity, which my older ears appreciate. Can't go wrong with either one! Perfect for my preferred genre of Rock, Rock, and more Rock. No other headphone makes me smile as much!
I must agree, the combination of soundstage and good subbass/midbass in an open back is amazing. While they might not have the best clarity/imaging...no headphone is perfect and the x2 is really solid at these specific things. Additionally having such strong midbass is most likely the culprit for some of the imaging loss. Overall however of all my "nicer" cans these are the most fun, especially for gaming (far cry 6 currently).

My question with the x2hr is how did the price go from over 300 to 120 at times? I cant imagine Phillips makes much on that.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #15,107 of 15,268
I bought, still have, use, and love my OG X2, which will celebrate it's 8th anniversary next month. Recently bought the X2HR at a great price as a backup pair. I'm with you on the sound difference, and find the upper region to have a smidge more clarity, which my older ears appreciate. Can't go wrong with either one! Perfect for my preferred genre of Rock, Rock, and more Rock. No other headphone makes me smile as much!
Ever try swapping the earpads around? I'd have to wonder how much of the change in sq could be related to old vs new earpads

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #15,108 of 15,268
Ever try swapping the earpads around? I'd have to wonder how much of the change in sq could be related to old vs new earpads
Never tried swapping pads. When I bought the OG version I bought an extra set of pads, and surprisingly have not felt the need to use them yet. When I quickly know I am infatuated with a HP I immediately buy an extra set of pads for future use, if they are available. Only other can I bought extras for is my Thinksound On2. Obviously I am easy to please regarding headphones but am mostly a speaker guy anyway.

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #15,109 of 15,268
Updated version of the HD600s? I more and more agree with this statement. Even though we loose a little detail, and refinement. But we gain much more fun. Livelier lows, mids and highs. Not much less detail, but much more entertainment. Music is more organic. Not for analytical examination, but for pure fun. under £1000 nothing beats X2 with a good amp and source.
I agree!

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #15,110 of 15,268
Forgive me if this is not allowed in this thread, but below is the EQ profile I have worked on for quite a while and gotten it sounding pretty damn good with my x2hr's. It is roughly based upon Oratory_1990's Harmon Target curve (primarily for the massive spikes at 5150hz and around 1600-1700hz). My apologies if this type of post isn't allowed in this thread, I can remove it if so. Figured this could possibly help someone/anyone looking for a harmonesque tuning that has a few dB extra midbass and slightly less "air".

x2.JPG

I really love my x2's...The fit, the finish, and most importantly the sound all for under 150 bucks. FYI I run this eq (Foobar2000>APOeq>Peace 1.6.2.6>Aiyima A5-Pro) Cant say I notice any change in sound quality from just running a 1v dongle, or schiit asgard...aside from just less/more headroom. x2hr seems to run just fine off a decently powered motherboard + dongle dac.

x2dac.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #15,111 of 15,268
Forgive me if this is not allowed in this thread, but below is the EQ profile I have worked on for quite a while and gotten it sounding pretty damn good with my x2hr's. It is roughly based upon Oratory_1990's Harmon Target curve (primarily for the massive spikes at 5150hz and around 1600-1700hz). Myapologies if this type of post isn't allowed in this thread, I can remove it if so. Figured this could possible help someone/anyone looking for a harmonesque tuning that has a few dB extra midbass and slightly less "air".

x2.JPG

I really love my x2's...The fit, the finish, and most importantly the sound all for under 150 bucks. FYI I run this eq (Foobar2000>APOeq>Peace 1.6.2.6>Aiyima A5-Pro)

x2dac.JPG
I don't see any reason why this would not be allowed, thanks for sharing.

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #15,114 of 15,268
Wow, after like 2-3 years took these out of storage and started using them again. Such a nice sound signature these have. Will be using them for a little while longer. Definitely stood the test of time without any issues.
Exactly right. I now have headphones that are far more expensive than the X2s, also better in just about every way that matters.

But when I put the X2s on, music happens. What more can I ask of a headphone that cost me ~$200 and is built like a tank?

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #15,115 of 15,268
Just picked up a pair of NOS Fidelio X2 on Swedish eBay for…

…$30! :)

Looking forward to have a pair of open backed cans to alternate with when in the office. At home I usually listen to my fairly new Bowers & Wilkins PX8, bought at full retail at $699, so a bit more than twenty times what I gave for the X2… Will be interesting to compare these two very different animals…

So, can I get away with powering these babies with an iPad or even a laptop jack? Or what amp would you recommend in the ”cheap as hell” range?

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #15,116 of 15,268

Looking forward to have a pair of open backed cans to alternate with when in the office. At home I usually listen to my fairly new Bowers & Wilkins PX8, bought at full retail at $699, so a bit more than twenty times what I gave for the X2… Will be interesting to compare these two very different animals…

So, can I get away with powering these babies with an iPad or even a laptop jack? Or what amp would you recommend in the ”cheap as hell” range?
The x2 do not need an amp. I own three budget priced amps. The monoprice liquid spark, the Schmitt magni3 and the objective o2 amp.The liquid spark or magni 3 would be the least expensive. I Don't know if you would consider them cheap as hell.
Having said that I often just plug the x2 straight into the headphone jack of my modest galaxy android tablet. So an i-pad should be just fine, if it even has a headphone jack.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #15,117 of 15,268
The x2 do not need an amp. I own three budget priced amps. The monoprice liquid spark, the Schmitt magni3 and the objective o2 amp.The liquid spark or magni 3 would be the least expensive. I Don't know if you would consider them cheap as hell.
Having said that I often just plug the x2 straight into the headphone jack of my modest galaxy android tablet. So an i-pad should be just fine, if it even has a headphone jack.
Thanks,
At the price I have for the X2 everything will be much more expensive for sure. But I’ll try without an amp first and maybe this would be good enough for a while. My current Senn HD600 also need a new amp as it sound bloody horrible without one.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #15,118 of 15,268
Yeah, the X2 is a very sensitive headphone that will sound great out of anything. That being said, though, different amps do sound different, which means that you might prefer the sound of one amp to another. For instance, the audio straight out of my 3.5mm jack on my phone is fine, but it's lacking in fine detail and dynamics, whereas a dedicated amp will likely and easily perform better in these regards. If I had to use my 3.5mm output on my phone, I could cope, and even have a good time with the right headphones (for instance, the X2), but I'll always prefer any of my dedicated amps over it.

tl;dr An amp is definitely not necessary to enjoy the X2, but it also wouldn't hurt.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #15,119 of 15,268

The X2s will work with signal from a laptop, but won't sound as good as possible.

Believe it or not, my first amp for this X2s was the very inexpensive, humble, yet more-than-decent sounding FiiO e10k. I thought that sound was great. Then I got a separate DAC & a Lake People G109-A amp, and the sound got way better.

The X2s really do scale with greater power and finesse in the upstream gear.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #15,120 of 15,268
The X2s will work with signal from a laptop, but won't sound as good as possible.

Believe it or not, my first amp for this X2s was the very inexpensive, humble, yet more-than-decent sounding FiiO e10k. I thought that sound was great. Then I got a separate DAC & a Lake People G109-A amp, and the sound got way better.

The X2s really do scale with greater power and finesse in the upstream gear.
Yeah got it.

Will see if it sounds better than the way more expensive B&W Px8 (closed, wireless, ANC headphone)…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back