Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Feb 4, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #796 of 1,061
Hey, awesome review by the way. I just recieved my pair yesterday after a long time of saving up. May i ask what you used to burn in your pair? Constant pink noise, frequency sweeps or just listening to music :)?

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #797 of 1,061
  Hey, awesome review by the way. I just recieved my pair yesterday after a long time of saving up. May i ask what you used to burn in your pair? Constant pink noise, frequency sweeps or just listening to music :)?

The album contains all the greatest burn-in hits you know and love, finally in one place - for FREE!
Burn it down
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/dx90-2x-sabre-1st-page-downloads-info-inst-dap-fw-2-1-5-lurker0-fw-mod/3060#post_10459666

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #798 of 1,061

The album contains all the greatest burn-in hits you know and love, finally in one place - for FREE!
Burn it down
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/dx90-2x-sabre-1st-page-downloads-info-inst-dap-fw-2-1-5-lurker0-fw-mod/3060#post_10459666

The thing is, whatever you use (sine sweeps, pink noise, white noise, music) burns-in your cans. It doesn't really matter what you use -- it's all the same thing. I actually prefer music, though, as it gives a constant stream of data through a wide range of frequencies (not that it matters). 
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #801 of 1,061

Thank you @PaulStancel ! I prefer to use rock music for burn-in. Do not use high volumes. Your normal listening or slightly above is OK. Give some intervals while burn-in process.

Great review! Well done!
I see that you gave 7.5 for naturalness, do you mind to elaborate a bit more? Tx!

Thanks @earfonia !  Naturalness is more difficult to achieve goal compared to neutralness. While writing the review I can only give that point. This is mostly because of the body of the bass and some very slightly unnatural highs. Time to time I re-evaluate my hp/iem's so that's why I write in the end of the review "feel free to come back and check the graph" :wink:  some slight changes in numbers may occur over time (though they are mostly stable)...  

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #802 of 1,061
Just got my X2 in the mail today and here are my initial impressions:

My set of x2s just came in the mail today, thank you Prime as always! Initial impressions, the build quality is top notch. The slight drawback to the high build quality is the weight. They are heavier, but I do not find them to be a problem, as of yet. I'm not a big fan of the sling headband. The clamp force feels... light compared to my HD650s out of the box, granted that is more of an extreme case with higher than normal clamp force. Packaging is normal, and I like the cable. I wish it would have been a 1/4 plug instead of the 1/8, but not a deal breaker since it comes with an adapter. I just got the HD650 a few months ago, leading me to essentially put away my other headphones (2x DT770, Momentum on ear (mainly for travel)). I will compare mainly to the HD650s, with maybe small references to the other cans.

Currently my source is computer wav files to Peachtree DAC iTx, to Asguard 2, to the X2. Initial sounds are pretty close to the HD650s. Most noticeable difference is the bottom end and mid range. The bottom end is longer, stronger, but muddier (hopefully burn in will cure from what I've been reading). The mid range seems more recessed, like the voice is not in your face as much as the HD650. With such an impressive bottom end, I put on Bassgasm. Much to my surprise, the phone kept up and was able to extend and produce the low notes. Very impressed. Compared to the HD650s, they struggled more and didn't have as much 'punch' or extension. The highs are accurate, but not as crisp as the HD650s or as forward.

I had to run out and meet a few guys for basketball, leaving my X2 to play while I was gone. After about 3 hours of burn in, and a shower, I feel the sound overall is a BIT smoother. I will give it more time and compare it to the HD650 more to see how the sound may or may not change over time. I so far like the X2s a lot, but that may be swayed by the delicious bass. Another big thing is that the sound leaks a lot more than the HD650s. 

Currently, my thought is that between the HD650s and the X2s, the difference is small. Cost wise I paid exactly the same for both cans, which is interesting since I got the 650s when they dropped to the 319 price. Do these cans compliment each other? Should I get rid of one and if so which one? I think I'll give the X2 a few weeks to make a final decision. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #805 of 1,061
I didn't find that the mids improved much. Unquestionably, the bass got tighter and more defined. The treble smoothed just a touch. The mids seem about the same though. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #806 of 1,061
I just got my X2's a few days ago. I have to say they're dreamy. Streaming music usually makes me cringe, but I can stomach it with these. 

They seemed much bassier when I first listened to them. After several hours with pink noise they've seemed to settle in. I'm powering them with the Monoprice DAC/amp.

Oh man! I just put my x2's on after sitting in the car for 3 hours listening to streaming music from my phone to the car stereo via bluetooth. My ears felt like they were bleeding until I put my x2's back on!!!

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #807 of 1,061
Just want to say: these cans feel especially good after a fresh hair cut! 

I haven't put many hours into these since I bought them, probably less than 100 hours since I got them in late November 2014. Still loving the sound!

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #810 of 1,061
Awesome!

Looks like those HP could survive some hard core abuse
while protected inside that case.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back