Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Dec 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #571 of 1,061

How is the Fulla with the X2's? Guessing good with your mobile devices but any help on a PC at all?

Thanks for replying as well, was an old comment i quoted from you. So hopefully didn't mind haha.

Mixed thoughts on the Fulla with my electronics.

For the X2, the Fulla has the perfect power (for me anyway), and the internal DAC has the same presentation as the Modi (which is a good thing) as expected.

However, apart from the issue of the sample rates (48 & 96 Khz oscillator) on Fulla, I have an issue with USB driving on multiple devices.

Someone has already alluded to this on the Fulla thread, when they mention using a Schiit Wyrd. I totally get it!

1) Desktop system

USB 2.0 ports x 2 - Recognises the Fulla fine, but USB noise is clearly present and audible. I have a USB mouse, and i can hear the movement swish, and noise when it lands on selectable content on any window coming through the Fulla. Yes you don't hear it when music playing, but completely annoying when no music (how many windows have clickable content).

I don't get this noise though my Modi or Peachtree DAC`s.

USB 3.0 ports x 4 - Device not recognised. ........Period

Now these USB 3.0 ports are designed to charge devices when the system is off so there is no problem with power, and have a greater supply than the USB 2.0 ports.

2) Surface Pro 3

Only one USB 3.0 port available without inserting into docking station. It works perfectly fine (at last), but then i`m on wireless and I hear audible differences streaming wireless in general, so avoid if i can. 

Plugging in the USB adaptor supplied from MS that changes 1xUSB 3.0 port to 3xUSB 3.0  +  LAN connection  - 

Device not recognised..... period

So to answer your question.

Yes it is perfect for the X2 if you don`t have issues with USB 3.0 recognition, or noisy USB 2.0 ports.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #572 of 1,061
If 7XX sounds anything like Q701, X2 is a thousand times better than 7XX. I hated Q701 with a passion (bought without trying). My ears hurt after 30 minutes of listening to it, it caused so much ear fatigue. Harsh treble and non-existant bass is just some of the things I hate about Q701. Not to mention the complete lack of musicality.

By the way I don't like HE560 either. I auditioned it for an hour, it's too clinical and dry for me. I prefer X2 over them. I just prefer musical headphones in general. LCD3 is much better than HE560 (given the price it should be), Oppo PM-1/PM-2 is also better I think. They say HE400i is musical though, but I have not tried it.

I have been reading about the K7XX and it seems that its based of the K702 65th Annie and migh have a similar sound to the k712. Nobody will know until we get them. One thing is for sure, it wont sound like a Q701. There was one guy at some other forum who has a pair for review and has said its the best sounding headphone he has heard from AKG....

I got in on the drop as well and cant wait for the K7XX to arrive in front of my door but I also want to get the X2. I had the X1 and sold it and miss it already lol so it wont be long before I purchase the X2. X2 would be used mainly for gaming, eapecially since I can attach a V moda mic to it.

I would say if I were to get the X2, HD600/HD650, and the K7XX....ill be set for years....or maybe not? Lol

Im pretty sure that if I had the X2, it would see more use than the others. I would feel the X2 is a bit more special to the HD600/650 and K7XX....i dont know but it seems like it has something that other headphones dont have.

Question: What is a budget oriented tube amp to go with the X2?

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #573 of 1,061
1) Desktop system

USB 2.0 ports x 2 - Recognises the Fulla fine, but USB noise is clearly present and audible. I have a USB mouse, and i can hear the movement swish, and noise when it lands on selectable content on any window coming through the Fulla. Yes you don't hear it when music playing, but completely annoying when no music (how many windows have clickable content).

I don't get this noise though my Modi or Peachtree DAC`s.

USB 3.0 ports x 4 - Device not recognised. ........Period

Now these USB 3.0 ports are designed to charge devices when the system is off so there is no problem with power, and have a greater supply than the USB 2.0 ports.

That's weird that the USB ports are having problems, I thought that's the point of a DAC is to stop that sort of stuff... I thought the fulla would of stopped that.

Looks like I'll just stick with a soundcard then if the fulla has that much trouble with USB. And hard to justify for the moment €220 for the schiit combo when it hardly makes any difference for the x2s.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #574 of 1,061
  That's weird that the USB ports are having problems, I thought that's the point of a DAC is to stop that sort of stuff... I thought the fulla would of stopped that.

Looks like I'll just stick with a soundcard then if the fulla has that much trouble with USB. And hard to justify for the moment €220 for the schiit combo when it hardly makes any difference for the x2s.

This could just be my system. Perhaps the motherboard is not powered equally among USB ports as the manufacturer suggests and USB 2.0 has more power available to see the Fulla (however noisy) than USB 3.0.

Needs more input from users on this I think.

Mine might be a corner case that should not detract from mating the Fulla with X2. When it works, it really is outstanding for price. The Surface Pro 3 from single USB 3.0 port works fine, and using docking station (with separate power) also works (I later found out). 

So I know what this little device is capable of when it gets going (with no noise).

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #575 of 1,061

USB 3, if the chipset is designed per the USB 3 specs, has twice the power available as USB 2. 1 amp at 5 volts versus 0.5 amps at 5 volts.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #576 of 1,061
I have been reading about the K7XX and it seems that its based of the K702 65th Annie and migh have a similar sound to the k712. Nobody will know until we get them. One thing is for sure, it wont sound like a Q701. There was one guy at some other forum who has a pair for review and has said its the best sounding headphone he has heard from AKG....

I got in on the drop as well and cant wait for the K7XX to arrive in front of my door but I also want to get the X2. I had the X1 and sold it and miss it already lol so it wont be long before I purchase the X2. X2 would be used mainly for gaming, eapecially since I can attach a V moda mic to it.

I would say if I were to get the X2, HD600/HD650, and the K7XX....ill be set for years....or maybe not? Lol

Im pretty sure that if I had the X2, it would see more use than the others. I would feel the X2 is a bit more special to the HD600/650 and K7XX....i dont know but it seems like it has something that other headphones dont have.

Honestly, that trio of headphones is like my current thought process right now. I don't think I would keep them all because I can't justify having so many headphones at one time. With that being said, I don't know if I'll ever be ready to step into summit-fi territory either haha.

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #577 of 1,061
  I read your contributions, and to put this to rest:

You were giving strong impressions of the L2 being superior, even if you constantly said it was your personal opinion, by reiterating you were establishing a theme which was pushy and caustic.

The L2 are darker than the X2, they have good speed for what little bass extension they have, but they are not acoustically superior..................

That is just nonsense, now you are confusing people with wrong statements. L2 is brighter than X2, not darker and have great bass extension. The sound signature is matter of taste. One will prefer the L2 signature, other the X2. Also I agree with Lieven from Headphonia that L2 is technically better headphone.
Here what he says:
"The x2 technicalities are good, i just feel the l2 is even better but it lacks a bit of bass."
"L2 is still the technical better headphone but I prefer the overal sound of the X2 over the L2. It definitely is better than the Momentum

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #578 of 1,061
That is just nonsense, now you are confusing people with wrong statements. L2 is brighter than X2, not darker and have great bass extension. The sound signature is matter of taste. One will prefer the L2 signature, other the X2. Also I agree with Lieven from Headphonia that L2 is technically better headphone.
Here what he says:
"[COLOR=3F4549]The x2 technicalities are good, i just feel the l2 is even better but it lacks a bit of bass."[/COLOR]
[COLOR=3F4549]"L2 is still the technical better headphone but I prefer the overal sound of the X2 over the L2. It definitely is better than the Momentum[/COLOR]
I own the L2, and don' t experience as bright but a rather natural sounding headphone, and there is plenty of bass if good recorded, as a fan of avant-prog I know what I am talking about. For Europeans the L2 is great alternative on the Grado 325e while now priced 179 Euro on Amazon Italy.

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #579 of 1,061
I own the L2, and don' t experience as bright but a rather natural sounding headphone, and there is plenty of bass if good recorded, as a fan of avant-prog I know what I am talking about. For Europeans the L2 is great alternative on the Grado 325e while now priced 179 Euro on Amazon Italy.

I have never said that L2 is bright, I said that L2 is brighter than X2. Also in a previous post I've said that L2 is not a bass light headphone, it has great tight bass. 

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #580 of 1,061

Quite a few people in this thread said about the Schiit Vali. I've been looking at it for my X2 but not sure if I'll like the sound.

What I might do is buy the Vali and the Magni and see what I like best and send back the one I don't like even if I waste the postage cost it will be nice to have the piece of mind.

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #581 of 1,061
So I'm super new to head fi and still green with headphones in general. 

I love this review! I'm on the verge of ordering the X2s for myself but I'm wondering what it means when they're referred to as "fun" sounding. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #582 of 1,061

I love this review! I'm on the verge of ordering the X2s for myself but I'm wondering what it means when they're referred to as "fun" sounding. 

I don't own X2, But i do own the v-moda M-100, which are regarded as really fun HP. Im also really new in this website, but i really can tell why their fun. I don't know the technical part, but when one hears a fun headphone, they tend to be focused on bass (this is the common though). It also a lot of things more, but to me, they are really hard to explain without hearing the headphones. For example, when i hear music with headphones like AD700, what i get is a really, open and technical listening session, but i don;t have much fun with it. It really is something that you might get when listening to a headphone. Some headphones will make you pay attention to the details, and some will always make you dance. Im sure someone has a better answer though

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #583 of 1,061
I don't own X2, But i do own the v-moda M-100, which are regarded as really fun HP. Im also really new in this website, but i really can tell why their fun. I don't know the technical part, but when one hears a fun headphone, they tend to be focused on bass (this is the common though). It also a lot of things more, but to me, they are really hard to explain without hearing the headphones. For example, when i hear music with headphones like AD700, what i get is a really, open and technical listening session, but i don;t have much fun with it. It really is something that you might get when listening to a headphone. Some headphones will make you pay attention to the details, and some will always make you dance. Im sure someone has a better answer though
I know what you mean, we should hear music,not the fall of a plectrum

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #584 of 1,061
I know what you mean, we should hear music,not the fall of a plectrum

i didn't meant that detail-whoring headphones are bad, but they are not for certain people. About the fun part, that term, along "fast", "liquid"and "dry"are between the hardes terms for me to define, even though, whenever i listen to a headphone i know what it means. Its just that i suck at explaining

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #585 of 1,061

A fun sound, simply put, is a sound signature with an emphasis on the bass and the treble. It basically looks kinda like this:

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back