Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Oct 27, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #346 of 1,061
If anything, X2 is only ~50g lighter which makes basically no difference.

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #347 of 1,061
Sorry don't wear caps, but my head circumference is 23.7 inches. The clamping force is not uncomfortable but just tighter than the X1. The X1 clamp evenly around my ear but the X2 has more tension at the bottom of the ear, which is less comfortable for me, but with a larger head that would even out a little better. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #348 of 1,061
  If anything, X2 is only ~50g lighter which makes basically no difference.

We had this discussion earlier in this thread. In the original review the X2 are measured to be 382g. The X1 were found to be 376g ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/729413/philips-fidelio-x2-a-review-by-baycode/165#post_10922365 ) So practically the same.

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #349 of 1,061
Listened to the X2 again after 10 hours of burn in. The X2 vocals are less present than on the X1, so I'm finding the X2 cable on the X1 is the best combination to my ears. Everyone has mentioned the miss match of the X1 cable, well the X2 cable fixes that problem and now the bass is as it should be, whilst still keeping the more present vocals. X2 is now going back to Amazon, just need to wait until we can purchase the X2 cable. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #350 of 1,061
how are the highs in comparison?

also the mids? it's strange that you find vocals distant, as the voice frequencies should be in the mids mostly, and x2 have less recessed mids looking at the graphs

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #351 of 1,061
  Listened to the X2 again after 10 hours of burn in. The X2 vocals are less present than on the X1, so I'm finding the X2 cable on the X1 is the best combination to my ears. Everyone has mentioned the miss match of the X1 cable, well the X2 cable fixes that problem and now the bass is as it should be, whilst still keeping the more present vocals. X2 is now going back to Amazon, just need to wait until we can purchase the X2 cable. 

Are u saying that the X2 is not worthy?or i didn't understand u!

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #352 of 1,061
Let me apologise first off. I'm not an audiophile so my descriptions might be miss leading, as I can only use laymans terms. I've not seen any graphs but when I look at my equalizer it sounds like upper tremble is less and around 4hz seems less on the X2. I read that soundstage is better on the X2 so that may be why vocals seem more distant. Soundstage seems the same to me but because the X2 is more balance that maybe why people have said this. I must say that my set up is basic just my stereo, laptop through my PA2V2 portable amp. I seem to remember on Tyll's video him saying that the graphs did not match what he was hearing. So that might explain why the graphs don't coinside with what I heard or my knowledge of headphone terminology is not proficient enough. Probably the latter LOL : )

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #354 of 1,061
  Let me apologise first off. I'm not an audiophile so my descriptions might be miss leading, as I can only use laymans terms. I've not seen any graphs but when I look at my equalizer it sounds like upper tremble is less and around 4hz seems less on the X2. I read that soundstage is better on the X2 so that may be why vocals seem more distant. Soundstage seems the same to me but because the X2 is more balance that maybe why people have said this. I must say that my set up is basic just my stereo, laptop through my PA2V2 portable amp. I seem to remember on Tyll's video him saying that the graphs did not match what he was hearing. So that might explain why the graphs don't coinside with what I heard or my knowledge of headphone terminology is not proficient enough. Probably the latter LOL : )

LOL indeed :)

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #355 of 1,061
For those saying that it feels heavy....im sure since its new, you need time to get use to it.

It felt the same with my X1 the first 2 weeks...after that break in period....it felt comfy, especially with those velour pads.

Now, the headband, its larger but i dont think by too much. If I recall, whenever i wore my X1, i would almost hit the leather headband but I guess if i were to wore the x2, i probably wont anymore, which may be a good thing.

I cant wait to purchase the x2....next year though lol when Hardline and Project Cars release :).

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #356 of 1,061
Thanks Mizodology your comment was short and sweet. It really made me laugh : ) No I liked the X2 but I think the X1 with the X2 cable sounds more fun. Plus the clamping force is more even and more comfortable so I prefer the X1.

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #357 of 1,061
Clamping force will reduce overtime, after months/years it's normal that your X1 feels less tight. About the fun I'm curious, do you feel that, at the same volume, the X1 has more bass and treble? What are you missing using the X2? Midbass maybe?

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #358 of 1,061
My son has the Sennheiser HD558 and to my ears the X2 sounds similar but with a larger soundstage and a little more mid bass. Compared to the X1 both the HD558 and the X2  just sound a little hollow so yeah probably the mid bass.

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #359 of 1,061
Yeah, hollow is the word is used too in the other thread, in the first days I tried my X2. After a while this feeling isn't so strong anymore (I was used to the super thick mids and bass of the sony xb500). I think one can get used to it, some brain burn in is needed, but I can see now what you mean, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back