Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Oct 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #377 of 1,061
I need a recommendation for an amp dac or sound card for my fidelio x2 headphones. Budget of 200-400$

It's mainly for computer use. What would give the biggest sound quality improvement and maybe some more bass punch?

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #378 of 1,061
I need a recommendation for an amp dac or sound card for my fidelio x2 headphones. Budget of 200-400$

It's mainly for computer use. What would give the biggest sound quality improvement and maybe some more bass punch?

Depends on what player and file quality you may choose and how good your computers dac might be.  A simple Creative E1 is a bit warm and if used with Pandora and playing mp3 files with a player like Foobar or listening to something in a browser may be all you need.  Then again, if you are using full fidelity lossless files, have tweaked your computer to minimize other processes while listening and use a premium player app then something like the JDS C5D perhaps.  I'll have one in a few days for review and can give some insight if interested.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #379 of 1,061

I'm planing to buy X2 and gonna use it with my Asus Xonar Essence ST + iFi iCan micro.

From Baycode review

I have also connected it  to my SS and tube amps. It definately scales better with better and more powerful sources. Likes tube amps very much.

From Tyll review

This bump may cause some bloom in the bass if used with a high output impedance amp like a tube OTL design. I would not recommend these cans for use with these types of amps. I suggest 2 Ohm or less output impedance.

So I think you need amp with low impedance HP output and with more tubey sound. 

iCAN micro have that tube like warm sound and output impedance(Zout) is <0.5Ω.

I think that iCAN and X2 will have a good synergy.

or if your files are in MP3 buy something like this http://www.amazon.com/Geek-Out-450-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00JD0CQ6E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414686404&sr=1-2

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #381 of 1,061
Wow thanks for the quick replies. Is something like a FiiO E17 worth considering or would a sound card combination be the best option?

I think it's better to wait a little, save up another 100$ and buy iDSD micro, because it will it has a very big value for its price and you won't need to change it in the future.
You can use it with every thing!

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-237197-ifi-micro-idsd-dac.aspx

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #382 of 1,061
Why not cheap and good Fiio E10K? At ~500$ there are lot of choices already and probably better matches with X2 out there. 
Personally I would go tube amp or tube buffered DAC road.

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #383 of 1,061
For what it's worth, I got E10K, it adds clarity and detail on highs, now I can clearly hear the difference with my macbook pro or iphone jack. It's more smooth without E10K, a little muddier and less sharp (always compared to macbook or iphone). It doesn't noticeably affect mids and bass in my case. The +6dB switch for adding bass can be handy for bassheads.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #384 of 1,061
I've ordered my X2's but they're not going to ship for another week or so, and because of that I haven't picked out a sound card yet.  I'm mainly going to use these phones for gaming and music.  I'm thinking about the Sound Blaster Z, but some people are recommending the X-Fi to me.  Why?  Isn't the SBZ a straight upgrade?  Plus better surround sound software and scout mode... 

Anyways, this sound card doesn't work on Linux, so I was looking for an alternative product that's still in the same price range.  Any suggestions guys? 

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #385 of 1,061
  I've ordered my X2's but they're not going to ship for another week or so, and because of that I haven't picked out a sound card yet.  I'm mainly going to use these phones for gaming and music.  I'm thinking about the Sound Blaster Z, but some people are recommending the X-Fi to me.  Why?  Isn't the SBZ a straight upgrade?  Plus better surround sound software and scout mode... 

Anyways, this sound card doesn't work on Linux, so I was looking for an alternative product that's still in the same price range.  Any suggestions guys? 

Omega Claro Halo or Asus Xonar ST/STX

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #386 of 1,061
Well, the STX was my second choice, however it's a lot pricier than I was hoping for, and I can't find anything useful on Xear 3D surround virtualization.  I don't really want to go with Dolby, it's been noted as being one of the worst ones around, and I have to agree when listening to the comparisons.  I've also used it in the past, but because I haven't used any other software I have nothing to compare it to.  Something to compare Xear to would be really useful, too bad it's as if it doesn't exist. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #387 of 1,061
I purchased the Claro Halo for $90 a month ago. Hopefully you can find one or the other on a good deal for black friday or so. I'd wait really. I'm sure amazon or other companies will have nice black friday deals including newegg and tiger.

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #388 of 1,061
I'm not the one paying for this, so price isn't my main concern.  Plus, when Black Friday/Cyber Monday rolls around I will be buying a second 780 Ti with my own money.  I don't want to wait around that long either if possible, but I will consider it. 

Now about the surround sound issue...

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #390 of 1,061
  So far the ASUS Xonar Essence STX  sound card on its own sounds like the best possible set up for under 400$.

Any other possible recommendations or objections?

Other than it ties you one  machine... and has to live in the high electrical noise field inside a PC... no.
I went with some portable solutions. The C5D and Geek Out 1000. You can plug the C5D into about any desktop or laptop and I devices, and Android devices... A lot less restrictive. I use the Dolby Headphone plugin in Foobar through the C5D with my X1. It is OK for those occasions that call for it. Of course, when I watch a movie or do some gaming, I am not in a critical listening mode anyway.
Just a few thoughts... from the perspective of what I do and like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back