Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Nov 9, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #421 of 1,061
Question now is will there be a blackfridaysale on the X2? 

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #423 of 1,061
Question now is will there be a blackfridaysale on the X2? 

If there is, it woudnt be someyhing big...probably knock out 20 bucks off from its original price. I mean, in terms of similarities with the X1...it should have cost phillips the same to build the x2.....

I hope im wrong and they drop the price by 50 bucks....since i have my 200 from when i sold my X1s a month ago....

If not, ill probably just grab an akg k712

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #424 of 1,061
I'm gonna be patient and keep a really close eye on these for the right price these next 2-4 months.

Anyone got an idea what they would sound like with the FiiO e7 e9 combo

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #425 of 1,061
I'm pretty well locked in on getting these when they come in stock on Amazon. I don't have a DAC/AMP and I mostly listen to things through my PC via HDMI to my AV Receiver. So I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to getting a USB DAC/AMP with the X2?

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #427 of 1,061
  Yes, there would be a pretty big benefit.  Depending on your usage scenario, there's a ton of dacs/sound cards out there.  External is probably the best way to go usually. 

I guess I don't see how that is better than going through my Receiver. What would the "big benefits" be exactly? I'm not really an audiophile, so I'm not super familiar with what DACs/AMPs do over what I have currently.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #429 of 1,061
  It's the quality of the DAC.  You'll have a clearer audio experience with less interference (even if you go internal) than you would with onboard sound.  Some say it's a night and day difference. 

Yeah but I'm not using on-board sound. The audio signal is going out through HDMI (via my video card) and decoded by my Yamaha RX-V671 AV Receiver, so in effect my receiver is my DAC and AMP already, I believe.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #430 of 1,061
Either you didn't mention that or I'm oblivious.  If you've already got a high quality sound system then there's no reason to get a DAC, AMP, or sound card.  The digital to analogue conversion is already (hopefully) happening with the higher class one in your Yamaha, so I wouldn't worry about getting another one. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #431 of 1,061
  Either you didn't mention that or I'm oblivious.  If you've already got a high quality sound system then there's no reason to get a DAC, AMP, or sound card.  The digital to analogue conversion is already (hopefully) happening with the higher class one in your Yamaha, so I wouldn't worry about getting another one. 

Well my first post said "I don't have a DAC/AMP and I mostly listen to things through my PC via HDMI to my AV Receiver" but I could have been more specific.
Anyway, thanks for the input, I think the receiver is probably more than sufficient for my needs. But I'd welcome anyone else to make recommendations. 
L3000.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #432 of 1,061
I guess I didn't think you had a AV receiver that was /that/ good.  My father has one similar to the one you have, and it's supposed to be pretty good.  I assumed it was a standard one, not one that good.  My apologies. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #433 of 1,061
  I guess I didn't think you had a AV receiver that was /that/ good.  My father has one similar to the one you have, and it's supposed to be pretty good.  I assumed it was a standard one, not one that good.  My apologies. 

Sadly I can't seem to find any specs on the receiver's headphone output impedance or power, so it's hard to tell. But I briefly tried some HD558's on it and they sounded pretty good.

EDIT: Oops, just took a closer look at the manual:
Headphone Jack Rated Output / Impedance: (1kHz, 50mV, 8 Ohm) ..... 100mV/560 Ohm

"AV5 etc." I guess refers to the AV1-6 input jacks on the back of the receiver (so all of the inputs get output the same to the headphones). But I don't know if it's saying my headphone jack output impedance is 8 Ohm or 560 Ohm? 560 seems kinda nuts, so I assume it should be at 8 Ohm? Would that mean its a bit high for a low impedance headphone like the Fidelio X2 (30Ohm)?
If thats the case, should I consider getting a lower output impedance USB DAC/AMP to use with my PC? Or am I totally confused here?

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #434 of 1,061
  Sadly I can't seem to find any specs on the receiver's headphone output impedance or power, so it's hard to tell. But I briefly tried some HD558's on it and they sounded pretty good.

EDIT: Oops, just took a closer look at the manual:
Headphone Jack Rated Output / Impedance: (1kHz, 50mV, 8 Ohm) ..... 100mV/560 Ohm

"AV5 etc." I guess refers to the AV1-6 input jacks on the back of the receiver (so all of the inputs get output the same to the headphones). But I don't know if it's saying my headphone jack output impedance is 8 Ohm or 560 Ohm? 560 seems kinda nuts, so I assume it should be at 8 Ohm? Would that mean its a bit high for a low impedance headphone like the Fidelio X2 (30Ohm)?
If thats the case, should I consider getting a lower output impedance USB DAC/AMP to use with my PC? Or am I totally confused here?

What I believe the specs are trying to say is that with an 8 ohm load you will get 50mv of output at 1K and with a 560 ohm load you will get 100mv.  what might be important to know is what the actual output impedance of the headphone jack is.  A high impedance there can be a detriment to damping factor and frequency response if it is too high and mated with an inappropriate headphone.

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #435 of 1,061
  What I believe the specs are trying to say is that with an 8 ohm load you will get 50mv of output at 1K and with a 560 ohm load you will get 100mv.  what might be important to know is what the actual output impedance of the headphone jack is.  A high impedance there can be a detriment to damping factor and frequency response if it is too high and mated with an inappropriate headphone.

Thanks. So Yamaha doesn't really seem to tell me what the actual output impedance is? Considering the above rated specs, I'm just wondering if it's sufficient for the X2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back