Philips Fidelio L2
Apr 16, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #947 of 1,146
  Well, I won't need the L2, but I hope it has great sound, and will not sound like the L1... except for the great bass.

The bass is less prominent than in the L1. The X2 falls somewhere inbetween the two when it comes to bass presence. The L2 is more neutral (though not flat) with bass that is tighter and with less warmth to the midrange.

May 9, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #948 of 1,146
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions to replace the earpads of my L2 that are peeling off in the inner part. I saw in this thread that someone replaced them with braiwavz pad, that can fit but it does not look an exact match. So I tried to look at ebay and aliexpress, and found some "replacement" pads, that looks good, but probably less thick than original. Did someone tried them?

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #949 of 1,146
Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for all the information provided herein. The past two months I've been researching the internet for my first set of serious cans. The L2 was an early contender among a few others in my research thanks to this thread. I'm happy to say that I'm now an L2 owner as of two hours ago. They'll be shipped in a week or so. I got an incredible deal on them to boot. I'm looking forward to receiving them. I'll be sure to post my impressions later. :sunglasses:

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #950 of 1,146
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions to replace the earpads of my L2 that are peeling off in the inner part. I saw in this thread that someone replaced them with braiwavz pad, that can fit but it does not look an exact match. So I tried to look at ebay and aliexpress, and found some "replacement" pads, that looks good, but probably less thick than original. Did someone tried them?
I just ordered a set of the Brainwavz HM5 hybrid pad. They fit perfectly. They feel and sound better than the originals....I only just got them, but the soundstage seems to improve....instrument separation is improved. I can't recommend the Brainwavz pads enough, I have been thinking that Massdrop should offer their own Fidelio Lx with hybrid pads, and two cables: the one with the mic is great, but it would have been nice to have a longer 'at home' cable included.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #951 of 1,146
1-IMG_20170623_081431_732.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #952 of 1,146
I just ordered a set of the Brainwavz HM5 hybrid pad. They fit perfectly. They feel and sound better than the originals....I only just got them, but the soundstage seems to improve....instrument separation is improved. I can't recommend the Brainwavz pads enough, I have been thinking that Massdrop should offer their own Fidelio Lx with hybrid pads, and two cables: the one with the mic is great, but it would have been nice to have a longer 'at home' cable included.

Do they get hot after wearing them for a while? That's what I understand memory foam to do.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #953 of 1,146
Do they get hot after wearing them for a while? That's what I understand memory foam to do.

The memory foam doesn't cause them to be any hotter. The foam in the stock pads is the same as the one in the HM5s but it's denser/firmer/slower rebound.
The material that covers the pad is the more important part. Leather is hotter but isolates sound better. Suede/cloth is cooler and more open sounding. I got the hybrid pads which I think is a good compromise between the two.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #954 of 1,146
Jun 27, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #955 of 1,146
They are currently on sale for $120.00 at Groupon....this is the lowest I have seen them since last November.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gs-philips-l2bo-27-fidelio-high-fidelity-headphones-new

I bought mine brand new from Woot for $79.99 last Thursday night. With $5 shipping + tax the final bill ended up being $91.36. Needless to say I still thought it was a steal at that price with shipping & tax. I believe the lowest it's ever been @ Amazon was Black Friday for $99.99.

My new headphones will arrive tomorrow, so I'm stoked.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10232792-p...99-99-99-5-s-h-woot?p=100887248#post100887248

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #956 of 1,146
I bought mine brand new from Woot for $79.99 last Thursday night. With $5 shipping + tax the final bill ended up being $91.36. Needless to say I still thought it was a steal at that price with shipping & tax. I believe the lowest it's ever been @ Amazon was Black Friday for $99.99.

My new headphones will arrive tomorrow, so I'm stoked.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10232792-p...99-99-99-5-s-h-woot?p=100887248#post100887248

I think this makes you the big winner in terms of best deal. I got mine last year from Newegg for $105.00 total. I'd jump on these at $120.00 though, that's still a great deal.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #958 of 1,146
Just a quick first impression post of my new L2's. They arrived today @ 1:30 and I've been putting them through their paces.

Bear in mind that this is my first set of quality cans. I've never spent more than $35 for headphones in all my years (mid-40's guy) so my frame of reference is limited to cheap low tier Sony and Apple earbuds and whatever headphones were included with numerous portable CD players, mp3 players, etc. over the years. Furthermore, I don't have the head-fi vocabulary to properly explain my experience thus far, so forgive my lack of knowledge in that department. Audiophile I am not. But this forum has been invaluable to me as of late. I learn something new everyday.

I had no expectations coming into this purchase. I just knew that from all of the reviews about the L2, it would probably make my low tier purchases over the years look like an embarrassment. And boy did it ever. Why have I deprived my ears from experiencing such delightful sounds the L2 revealed to me all these years?

The first album I put on was Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys. Followed by Station To Station by David Bowie. Next I put on Epsilon in Malaysian Pale by Edgar Froese. As I type this post, Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder is playing through the L2. All of these albums are encoded in WAV via EAC from my Windows 7 laptop directly from the headphone jack. No separate dac/amp connections as I don't own one yet.

Repeating head-fi cliché's, I'm hearing things I never knew existed in these albums. The L2 is a sonic revelation to me. What have I been doing with my life? Needless to say I'm thrilled with this purchase.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #959 of 1,146
Now listening to: Glassworks by Philip Glass

Forgot to mention in my previous post about my comfort experience. I wear a 7 3/8 hat size for reference. My ears protrude a bit, but not extreme. My ear size is 2 5/8" tall and 1 1/2" wide. The cups are deep enough that my ears do not touch the inside of the driver. The cups also do not rest on any part of my ears. They're completely around/over the ear. So I'm really happy about that. I've read a lot about how certain headphones with shallow cups can make for an uncomfortable experience, so I'm glad that this will not be an issue for me with the L2.

The clamping force on the L2 is perfect for me. Not too much and definitely not too little. I own a pair of cheap Philips on-ear bluetooth that my nephew gave me for Christmas 3 years ago and they have next to no clamping force whatsoever. They would move or fall off with certain head movements. This is not the case with the L2. The headband on the L2 itself is something I'm learning to get used to at the moment, but as of this post, I think I've found a sweet spot where it doesn't put too much pressure on the top of my head. So far, so good.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the comfort of these headphones. It's win-win all-around for me.

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #960 of 1,146
Now playing: Apollo by Brian Eno

I've put in about 28 hours worth of music listening with the L2 thus far. I really like that I can play music at low volume 15-20% without losing detail and dynamics. A terrific set of cans really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back